LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
21,115 Posts
The Adventures of Lemuel Chenoweth to create timber-framed covered bridges

The last few months I have been researching the science and techniques to create a timber-framed covered bridge using the techniques of the 19th century. If you are curious about how woodworkers built a wooden bridge in the 1840s, click on the link below.

Always enjoy your historic videos Tom. I've always been amazed by covered bridges. Seen a lot of them in my travels on my motorcycle throughout my life. Each one is so beautiful with their looks and their engineering.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

The last few months I have been researching the science and techniques to create a timber-framed covered bridge using the techniques of the 19th century. If you are curious about how woodworkers built a wooden bridge in the 1840s, click on the link below.

I wonder if it was bridges similar to these that featured in Clint Eastwood movie The Bridges of Madison County?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Couldnt resist doing some research after 14,000+ bridges built and 800 still standing

Long Description:
Beverly Covered Bridge

Site of old covered bridge on Staunton & Parkersburg Turnpike built in 1847 by Lemuel Chenoweth (1811-87). Burned during Civil War, he rebuilt it in 1873. Dismantled by state in 1951. Chenoweth's home, built in 1847, is southeast of old bridge site.
Sky Plant Motor vehicle Tree Building

His house is still there!.
Building Window Fixture House Plant

Attachments

·
Registered
8,584 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video. I got to see some of your impressive covered bridges a few years ago when I toured the East coast in an RV. Here's a shot I took of the one at Flume Gorge in Grafton Notch State Park.

Plant Leaf Shade Road surface Natural landscape

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
The Origin of the Black Forest Carvers in Brienz Switzerland

Thought you would like to see this re-post of a historic video tribute to the wood carvers in Brienz Switzerland and their one-hundred-year-old tradition to carve wooden animals and folklore souvenirs for the English tourists coming to see the Alps. On hot days like this, thinking of folk who sit in a cool basement creating chips from a linden block sound like a bit of heaven.

If you to see click on

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Francis Trumble - One of America's first Windsor Chair Makers

This month, I have been researching one of the first American Windsor Chairs - our first national and most democratic styles to emerge from the eighteenth-century Pennsylvania colony. The video also focuses on the life-story and work of Francis Trumble who created the chairs used for the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. To see the video, please check on

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Sir Ambrose Heal, Arts and Craft Retail Furniture Designer

Today, am releasing my historic woodworker tribute on Ambrose Heal, the furniture designer, manufacturer, and retailer who successfully marketed arts and craft furniture well into the 1930s.

I also created this video because I was fascinated with Mr. Heal's business plan and his intrinsic ability to become a showman for his furniture and his retail store in downtown London.

You can see his video by clicking on

·
Registered
113 Posts

Today, am releasing my historic woodworker tribute on Ambrose Heal, the furniture designer, manufacturer, and retailer who successfully marketed arts and craft furniture well into the 1930s.

I also created this video because I was fascinated with Mr. Heal's business plan and his intrinsic ability to become a showman for his furniture and his retail store in downtown London.

Very cool. What's your next featured designer?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·

Have created over 60 of these life stories and slowed down the last few years because I have covered all of the woodworkers with the greatest reputations. Am certain open to suggestions.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts

Like your stuff! And I'm glad to see you producing work…. Many of the artists from the Art furniture movement or folks like Tom Hucker or Wendell Castle? Might be a challenge for you, but they all have colorful histories.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Gus Baumann with the Spark of Wooden Puppets

This is a tribute video to Gustave Baumann (1881-1971) and his woodblock prints and his pursue of wooden puppets. This German-American sought out a peaceful life as a woodworker and embraced local traditions in activities that his whole family could enjoy. I am reposting this video because it brings me joy.

In the end, it is hoped that you see Gus Baumann's talent as a total artist. In this age of online avatars, quarantine, and computer fantasy games, Baumann's life was refreshing to see the woodworker set aside his profit-making and pursue the pleasure of a puppet performance in his New Mexico community - teaching his neighbors a small lesson in morality.

You can see the video by clicking on

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
The Vintage Tales of the Village Carpenter

Because we are all cut off from relatives this Thanksgiving, I thought I would share a short tribute video on the ideal woodworking experience where one could thrive on fellowship, honesty, and craftsmanship. It is the kind of life-story that one would share at the communal meal. I hope you enjoy.

I believe that experience was best captured by Walter Rose in his memoir on the Village Carpenter. So, my video is my illustration of woodworking in a small village long ago - based on Mr. Rose memoir.
To view on the link below.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Because we are all cut off from relatives this Thanksgiving, I thought I would share a short tribute video on the ideal woodworking experience where one could thrive on fellowship, honesty, and craftsmanship. It is the kind of life-story that one would share at the communal meal. I hope you enjoy.

I believe that experience was best captured by Walter Rose in his memoir on the Village Carpenter. So, my video is my illustration of woodworking in a small village long ago - based on Mr. Rose memoir.

Great video! I enjoyed it all, but was most impressed with the workings of the water powered mill. The actual construction of the gears and cogs wasvery interesting. I will soon be watching more of your video posts. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·

Thank you. I get the greatest pleasure of doing the research and learning vintage techinques..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
How did the Tar Heels Woodworkers save the Royal Navy with pine resin & turpentine in 1700s

Learn the inside story of how the citizens of the colony of North Carolina distilled tar and turpentine from the great pine forest in the 18th Century and shipped it to England, and how those naval stores kept his Majesty Royal Navy afloat in many a storm. My tribute video on these woodworkers can be seen by clicking below.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
How did the Tar Heels Woodworkers save the Royal Navy with pine resin & turpentine in 1700s

Learn the inside story of how the citizens of the colony of North Carolina distilled tar and turpentine from the great pine forest in the 18th Century and shipped it to England, and how those naval stores kept his Majesty Royal Navy afloat in many a storm. My tribute video on these woodworkers can be seen by clicking below.

This is part one of the Royal Navy series that launched the story of Sir Samuel Bentham

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Samuel Bentham creates power tools for the wooden Royal Navy in the Age of Sail

This is my historic video tribute to Sir Samuel Bentham.

This is the life-story of an upper class gentleman, Samuel Bentham, who became a woodworker and a shipwright just before England's war with France, and improved wooden ship construction with new techniques and designs. He used steam engines to manufacture wooden block pulleys - one hundred years before Henry Ford "invented" the assembly line. He is known as the father of woodworking machinery.

You can see it by clicking on

Do not miss the woodworking history of Portsmouth Block Mill in Chapter 3 starting at 11:04

·
Registered
174 Posts

This is the life-story of an upper class gentleman, Samuel Bentham, who became a woodworker and a shipwright just before England's war with France, and improved wooden ship construction with new techniques and designs. He used steam engines to manufacture wooden block pulleys - one hundred years before Henry Ford "invented" the assembly line. He is known as the father of woodworking machinery.

Do not miss the woodworking history of Portsmouth Block Mill in Chapter 3 starting at 11:04
Thanks, very interesting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·

Glad you liked it.

To me, it was exciting to find this history.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Good stuff, that was an interesting view.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts