LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Prybil, First Commerically Available Bandsaw

In June, I researched the history of Paul Prybil, who invented the first commerically available bandsaw. The video is posted at

Here was a man that made a lot of money in his lifetime. To see his story, see the video.

After I posted this video, I got a call from the great great grandson on Paul Prybil. He told him that his great grandfather lived in a wonderful life in Long Island, with many servants. After a dinner with J P MOrgan in the 1920s, the financier convinced him to invest everything in the stock market. The relative was convinced and sold all of the copywrights and the factory to others. In 1929, the family lost their ocean side manor. Mr Prybil remembers his grandfather telling him, "one day servants will call me to breakfast, and six months later, we would be lucky to have a breakfast.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts

In June, I researched the history of Paul Prybil, who invented the first commerically available bandsaw. The video is posted at

Here was a man that made a lot of money in his lifetime. To see his story, see the video.

After I posted this video, I got a call from the great great grandson on Paul Prybil. He told him that his great grandfather lived in a wonderful life in Long Island, with many servants. After a dinner with J P MOrgan in the 1920s, the financier convinced him to invest everything in the stock market. The relative was convinced and sold all of the copywrights and the factory to others. In 1929, the family lost their ocean side manor. Mr Prybil remembers his grandfather telling him, "one day servants will call me to breakfast, and six months later, we would be lucky to have a breakfast.
Tom, Welcome to LumberJocks. Very interesting set of videos you have, I was able to watch a few and will plan to watch a few more later on.
Thanks for keeping the history alive.
CtL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I apolize for not ackonwedging this fine video on my history piece. I will makie a notation on the Paul Prybil video on Monday.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The notations on my video, First Factory Made Bandsaw was made today on the video and in the credits for Garage Woodworks fine video on Circle Cutting Jig. I am sorry for the error.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George Nakashima, Modern Craftsman

In the grand scheme of woodworking, what is more important: the skills needed at a wood bench, the woodworking machinery, or the tree?

If you have any doubts, you need to look at the furniture and life path of George Nakashima, a Japanese-American woodworker (1905-1990). My historic woodworker tribute can be found at

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

In the grand scheme of woodworking, what is more important: the skills needed at a wood bench, the woodworking machinery, or the tree?

If you have any doubts, you need to look at the furniture and life path of George Nakashima, a Japanese-American woodworker (1905-1990). My historic woodworker tribute can be found at
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Thanks for posting. Nakashima has been an inspiration to me. I have both his book and his daughters. I, too, see woodworking as spiritual. I will soon be making some Nakashima inspired benches. Thanks for the tribute.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Excellent inspirational post! Thanks for taking the time to do the video.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Tom,
Thanks for sharing.
Well done.
Keith

·
Registered
580 Posts

Enjoyed the video, and the reminder of why we love wood and the motivation to continue to try to extend the life to the tree in the Nakashima spirit. Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Thanks for posting this. It may be sacrilege but I'd never heard of him until I saw this posting. I did however manage to find a copy of his book and WOW! It's such an enjoyable read.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elias Atkins Saws

For vintage tool collectors, a short reminder that the second largest saw producer was the E.C. Atkins and Company in Indianapolis. The quality of the Atkins saws was equal to Philadelphia's Disston, with a Indiana leader of metal as true as the steel of which his famous saws are made.

To see my video tribute to this man and his company, click on the YouTube video at

·
Registered
963 Posts
Elias Atkins Saws

For vintage tool collectors, a short reminder that the second largest saw producer was the E.C. Atkins and Company in Indianapolis. The quality of the Atkins saws was equal to Philadelphia's Disston, with a Indiana leader of metal as true as the steel of which his famous saws are made.

To see my video tribute to this man and his company, click on the YouTube video at
Maybe it's just my computer but the video won't play past 13 seconds. I will try another computer later.

I am looking forward to checking it out.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Elias Atkins Saws

I saw the whole thing - well done.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Elias Atkins Saws

Impressive!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bily Brothers Scrollsaw

For my fellow hobbyists who love the scroll-saw, I created this video on the Bily Brothers. Their life history shows the potential of the scroll-saw and your leisure time. It can be found at

·
Registered
7,966 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thomas Day, Cabinet Maker

This month I created a tribute to Thomas Day, a free man of color, who became one of largest furniture maker in North Carolina before the Civil War. The video can be found at

·
Registered
2,776 Posts

This month I created a tribute to Thomas Day, a free man of color, who became one of largest furniture maker in North Carolina before the Civil War. The video can be found at
This gentleman was an extremely talented person. There was a special on tv(don't remember if it was Roy Underhill or someone else) Very interesting. An inovator in not only production but also in design.
Good job on the slide show, a worthy endeavor.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting-he was a talented and creative person. As well as honorable and respected. Great story.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts