LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
81 - 100 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Get a Grip on Your Spray Cans!

Some of us use spray cans of finishing products to protect our projects. Using a spray can while holding down the button with an achy finger was challenging at best. Then I saw these grips for spray cans in the paint section and bought one. I can't describe what a difference the grip makes. It makes a can of spray behave like a spray gun. You get great control over aiming and starting/stopping the spray. There seem to be grips made by many spray paint brands as well as a few generic tool brands. Just google it to see.

Hand tool Tool Wood Finger Thumb

[Below] The grip fits on the top rim of the can, allowing a trigger/lever to activate the spray. You only need to take care that the nozzle is pointing out through the gap, otherwise the inside becomes a pretty color!

Liquid Fluid Cylinder Gas Drink

[Below] The grip also fits the short cans that are usually made for model builders.

Hand Liquid Fluid Finger Plastic bottle

[Below] And if you're into pyrotechnics in the shop, the grip also fits aerosol fire extingishers!

Hand Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Finger

(Disclaimer: the grip shown is the cheap Rustoleum one. They offer a fancier one. I have no official association with Rustoleum aside from being a purchaser of their products.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,558 Posts
Get a Grip on Your Spray Cans!

Some of us use spray cans of finishing products to protect our projects. Using a spray can while holding down the button with an achy finger was challenging at best. Then I saw these grips for spray cans in the paint section and bought one. I can't describe what a difference the grip makes. It makes a can of spray behave like a spray gun. You get great control over aiming and starting/stopping the spray. There seem to be grips made by many spray paint brands as well as a few generic tool brands. Just google it to see.

Hand tool Tool Wood Finger Thumb

[Below] The grip fits on the top rim of the can, allowing a trigger/lever to activate the spray. You only need to take care that the nozzle is pointing out through the gap, otherwise the inside becomes a pretty color!

Liquid Fluid Cylinder Gas Drink

[Below] The grip also fits the short cans that are usually made for model builders.

Hand Liquid Fluid Finger Plastic bottle

[Below] And if you're into pyrotechnics in the shop, the grip also fits aerosol fire extingishers!

Hand Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Finger

(Disclaimer: the grip shown is the cheap Rustoleum one. They offer a fancier one. I have no official association with Rustoleum aside from being a purchaser of their products.)
We use these too, Dave. They are really helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
DIY Bench Cookies

Somewhere recently I was watching a video where Bench Cookies were mentioned. I then ran down into my shop and poured out the contents of my 'wood wheels' which are mainly the plugs I save from my hole saw. I had 4 plugs about 2 inches in diameter and close to 1 inch thick. I pulled out a place mat that I saved from the trash. It's made from shelf liner material. I glued the plugs onto the placemat with contact cement and trimmed them out. Now I have 4 bench cookies to use for something!

Anyone know what the generic term for these Bench Cookies is? I'm pretty sure Bench Cookies is a trademark or some such legal term.

(I think the really sad thing is that I can't remember what I cut holes in to get these plugs.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

Wood Table Flooring Hardwood Craft

Somewhere recently I was watching a video where Bench Cookies were mentioned. I then ran down into my shop and poured out the contents of my 'wood wheels' which are mainly the plugs I save from my hole saw. I had 4 plugs about 2 inches in diameter and close to 1 inch thick. I pulled out a place mat that I saved from the trash. It's made from shelf liner material. I glued the plugs onto the placemat with contact cement and trimmed them out. Now I have 4 bench cookies to use for something!

Anyone know what the generic term for these Bench Cookies is? I'm pretty sure Bench Cookies is a trademark or some such legal term.

(I think the really sad thing is that I can't remember what I cut holes in to get these plugs.)
I think the name was coined by Rockler, when they released these originally. I could be wrong though, seems to be my expertise as of late. As far as a generic name, whatever you assign will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

Dave's cookies, or dookies for short!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,558 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

Nice, Dave! A use for the cut outs from my scarf hanger project!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

If you Google "bench cookies" your will find Bench Dog bench cookies which are rebranded Rocklers.
Lee Valley has a bench puck which is a bare puck and gripper adhesive material.

Bench cake, Dave's solution looks like a frosted version!
It looks like an Oreo with the filling on the outside the cookie.

I always felt that these "Bench Cookies" were way to thick to be a cookie may muffin or bisquit (spelled biskit) would be more appropiate!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

A name ?

Simple take a bits out of one of the cookies and I am sure you will come up with a name!!

No reason you cannot call them Dave disks or Rutan Pucks!

Did you hold your tongue in the correct position as you cut around the outsides?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

Thats is correctly: "Simple take a bite"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
DIY Bench Cookies

Hmm. It's interesting that there isn't much of a generic word for these. They are called bench cookies, hockey pucks or bench grippers. None of which are exactly descriptive. Somewhere I saw them called a 'stand off'.

This wasn't the point of my asking, but 'stand off' led me to a word for these in Esperanto! They'd be stabletoj, which means 'a small supports to hold a small work piece.' (more or less.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,558 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

And for us non-Esperanto speaking/readers, that is enunciated…?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
DIY Bench Cookies

And for us non-Esperanto speaking/readers, that is enunciated…?

- CFrye
Pronounced 'stah-BLEH-toy'

(if that helps)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,558 Posts
DIY Bench Cookies

Yes, thank you (still no gaurentee, but helps).
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Spalted Log Breakdown

Wood Natural material Plank Hardwood Lumber

This is a 2 foot section of a 12 foot long branch which I dragged off our bank this week. I speculated that if it wasn't too rotten that it would have some spalted wood in it. After cutting it in half on my band saw, I discovered I was right.

Wood Flooring Office ruler Ruler Floor

[Below] I screwed the half log onto a board with an edge overhanging the board. More imortantly one edge of the board was clear of the log as well. This is so that the board will be flat to the table saw and the edge of the board will run along the fence. Be careful to not put your screws in line with the blade.

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Plank

Wood Composite material Rectangle Gas Engineering

Wood Engineering Machine Flooring Metal

[Below] I did this progressively until I had a flat edge on the log. Then I screwed the board onto that newly flattened face and repeated the procedure until I had 2 perpendicular flat faces. I started the blade low and raised it up with each pass at the same fence setting. Either way this is not for the feint at heart.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Composite material Lumber

Wood Composite material Gas Hardwood Machine tool

[Below] Once that was done, I just re-sawed the piece until i had nothing left. I made these rips at a little more than 1/4 inch thick. I have a project in mind for them and they don't need to be that strong.

Wood Gas Hardwood Composite material Plank

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Lumber

[Fun Fact] 'Spalted' is not recognized by my spell checker.

[Fun Fact II] The Esperanto word for 'spalted' is 'belputra' (behl-POO-trah) which means 'beauty-rotted'.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Spalted Log Breakdown

This is a 2 foot section of a 12 foot long branch which I dragged off our bank this week. I speculated that if it wasn't too rotten that it would have some spalted wood in it. After cutting it in half on my band saw, I discovered I was right.

[Below] I screwed the half log onto a board with an edge overhanging the board. More imortantly one edge of the board was clear of the log as well. This is so that the board will be flat to the table saw and the edge of the board will run along the fence. Be careful to not put your screws in line with the blade.

[Below] I did this progressively until I had a flat edge on the log. Then I screwed the board onto that newly flattened face and repeated the procedure until I had 2 perpendicular flat faces. I started the blade low and raised it up with each pass at the same fence setting. Either way this is not for the feint at heart.

[Below] Once that was done, I just re-sawed the piece until i had nothing left. I made these rips at a little more than 1/4 inch thick. I have a project in mind for them and they don't need to be that strong.

[Fun Fact II] The Esperanto word for 'spalted' is 'belputra' (behl-POO-trah) which means 'beauty-rotted'.
There is something very satisfying about making things from your own milled lumber.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Spalted Log Breakdown

Always a interesting surprize when cutting one of these apart and it looks like you got some nice spalting in this one .

Attachments

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Spalted Log Breakdown

Dave, nice breakdown. Do you have a project in mind?

I was wondering, don't you have wear some kind of breathing protection when cutting spalted wood.
Or am I all wet?

"Spalted" is in my tablets dictionary!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Spalted Log Breakdown

Dave, nice breakdown. Do you have a project in mind?

I was wondering, don t you have wear some kind of breathing protection when cutting spalted wood.
Or am I all wet?

"Spalted" is in my tablets dictionary!

- oldnovice
I wore a dust mask during this. I's the best thing I have other than a T-shirt over the nose. I also have a jerry rigged dust collector going .

I do have a project in mind, a small lidded box for my daughter for Christmas. (Shh. secret!)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Spalted Log Breakdown

I think a spalted maple top would make a gorgeous box.

By the way, what is your daughters email as I have a secret?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Spalted Log Breakdown

I think a spalted maple top would make a gorgeous box.

By the way, what is your daughters email as I have a secret?

- oldnovice
Too bad it's spalted elm. ;-) There is an old maple tree that someone took down across the road, but I doubt it's spalted. It stood dead for about 2-3 years. Spalted wood is usually on the ground covered with leaves.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.