LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a problem building a toy box using frame panel construction. I decided to make an offset frame so the legs stick out from the rails. Now I have a problem with the hinges for the top. If I install hinges on the rail, the top will hit the leg posts since they stick out farther. I can only think of 2 solutions.

1. Use door type hinges cantilevered over the rail so that the back of the hinge lines up with the back of the

2. Beef up the top rail by adding a 3/8" thick strip to the rail making it flush with the back of the legs, and then I can use a standard piano hinge

What would be the best solution to this problem? - any other ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ron-this is my opinion only-with it being a toybox I would not use any of the hinges you describe but would be looking for safety hinges designed for use on toyboxes-they keep the lid from free falling on little heads and fingers-again just my opinion

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Another option (and the option I think I would favor most) would be to remove some material from the box top where it lines up with the end panels. It could become an interesting design feature.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

I forgot to mention that I'm also using Rockler toy box lid supports.

I think I'll try a combo of option 1 with modifying the lid to allow it to open 90 degrees without hitting the posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.