LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't know about the HF one (my local HF doesn't carry them) but the few reviews I've seen made it sound like sagging was an issue. May want to check our Router Table Depot, they have blank 3/8 acrylic inserts on sale for $17, and their own deluxe insert is $32.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
The HF plate is phenolic AFAIK, and looks identical to a few others that are sold from different suppliers. I have two phenolic plates from Hartville Tool (Hart Design) that I've been very happy with.

HF:

MLCS:

Hart Design:

Rousseau:

Woodpeck:

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is a clone of the Rouseu plate. Works pretty well. For $19 (and under with the 20% coupons) you can't go wrong.

That said, the one annoyance I've had with mine is there seems to be a little bit of difference in either ring thickness or the depth of reveal in the plate. If I snap the ring in one way I can feel a little ridge that can catch the edge of a work piece. Snap it out, rotate 60 degrees and snap back, no ridge.

I keep forgetting to mark the ring and plate for orientation, hence the annoyance.

I have the Craftsman version of the PC 890 hanging from it and so far no droop. However I do try to remove the router body from the base if I'm not going to be using it for a few days.

Drilling the holes is no big deal. On the bottom of the plate are a series of concentric rings. Remove the plastic plate from your router base (need to anyway) and use that as a template for marking the holes. The rings stamped on the underside of the HF plate help you center the template. Over size the holes just a smidge so that you can use a centering cone to fine tune the placement of the router base.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rwyoung-good to hear that there is an easy way to center the subbase… I just ordered it this weekend, and I have been wondering how hard it would be to get the holes marked with the subbase dead-on center. I will experience with orienting the inserts a few ways and see if it produces any ridges… thanks

I looked at the $17 blank right now… I think the $19 with the pin and the removable inserts is a better deal… we will see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.