LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Deft spray gloss lacquer would have been better… and over gloss spray paint (of which I recommend the Rustoleum Universal). That black is so hard and shiny you may even skip the clear gloss over it.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Mr. Ikea would spin in his grave (if he were dead lol) to think someone would or could go to this much trouble to get a gloss black finish on a table.

Let it dry for for a day or two and shoot it with Deft lacquer. That WILL get you out of this. REALLY. $6

Next time, leave the painter's touch on the shelf and get the universal. Black, shiny and hard. Don't even prime it. I have used them all and the only Painter's Touch worth having around is the Primer.

As an aside, NEVER even try the Valspar Primer. It will not sand at all. Immediately gums and smears and loads the paper. I scraped a 2' x 5' top of that off with a 5 in 1 … it was like gummy mess.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/50384

Look at that table. It reflects the tripod above and the leg reflects the baseboard trim almost like a mirror. THAT is two coats of universal gloss black from Rustoleum.

If your streaks are seen but can't be felt, just forget the Deft and shoot it with the universal. Still $6

· Registered
1,712 Posts
When your target is smooth to the touch, shoot a coat, wait an hour and shoot number 2. Nothing else. No sanding between or after.

When you shoot, keep the trigger in most of the time (not a jillion starts and stops). Get where you can walk around to keep going. It will even shoot upside down and sideways. Shake well and shake during when you do let go of the trigger.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
@Bentheviking, I knew his name and his story but wanted to make it less personal as I had him one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel… but personally I am not a fan of the style or the construction. It does have its place, just not at my humble abode thankyouverymuch. I would not copy that as isle 23 at Lowe's is one of my least favorite (closet maid shelving and melamine things).

Frameless cabinetry is too clinical for my tastes. I can barely stand the euro faced cabs, but that's me. However, the ultra-modern spartan and/or george jetson look is economical and serves a purpose. I get to rip some out and replace it every now and then ;=)

I do like dakremer's little table, though. It is simple and elegant in a way. It does not look like melamine or laminate. It does not have cheesy leveling feet that I can see.

I do like painted things as well as stained.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
In most cases, I would say tim is 100% right in saying to scuff the poly, but with this paint… if it's smooth then paint it. It is self-priming and will stick well. This is also what I used on the back of the 3/8" float glass in the scary sharp meets gorilla glue project. It sticks to slick, perfectly flat glass ! It will cling to the poly.

As Ozzie was once accused of saying subliminally: "Shoot, shoot, shoot".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.