LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,507 Posts
Hi Doug.What you have is typical for the first coat. It will take many coats to "build" the finish- especially if you want that full finish look…. like "Ikea".
I just did two tables that started out with 4 coats of lacquer sprayed on. I did not like the open grain showing so much so I wound up using wipe on poly for the final finish. I also got some streaking using the wipe on poly with a rag, so I reverted to what I learned from a guy a long time ago and I wrote it on my paint cabinet!! Use naphtha in poly!! This it to make it dry faster to reduce dust and to make it level out better. So I put on the last two coats by pouring the poly in a cup, adding about 1/8 naphtha and applying it with a foam brush. I wet sanded with 400 in between all coats. It came out to almost a full filled finish….........Jim

· Registered
4,507 Posts
Hi Doug, I sent in a comment on this but I don't see it. Anyway, I suggested to use poly thinned with naphtha. It makes it dry faster to eliminate dust and it lets it level better in the process. I used that on the last tables I made. I poured the wipe on poly in a cup and added about 1/8 naphtha and used a foam brush to apply it.

...........Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.