LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
I agree with tomd… it's best IMHO, to spray lacquer over spray paint. When you wiped off the poly did your rag turn black ie. pick up any of the finish below?

Personally, I would strip/sand all of the poly off and spray on more paint and then spray on a few coats of high gloss lacquer OR better yet, spray on some Black Lacquer paint.

Good luck!!!

· Registered
163 Posts
That means the mineral spirits in the poly pulled up some of the paint below. I think the only way to fix it is to sand off the poly and start over, as mentioned above…

Sorry dak, lessons learned, I guess?

edit: Wipe-on poly has LOTS of mineral spirits in it.

· Registered
163 Posts
Looks a little bit better but still streaky. Do you have any regular poly? Maybe that won't affect the paint as much and simply lay over the top of everything. Worth a try at this point?

· Registered
163 Posts
Ok this may seem strange, at first but… Do you have any refill ink for inkjet printers? I have used this to stain wood in the past. Black ink used in most inkjet printers is actualtly a dye. I've never mixed it into poly before but it might be worth a try? Try it out on a small piece of scrap first. Not sure the ratio…...

· Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like David has a great solution to this problem!! Sometimes the simple sollution is the best. We woodworkers tend to over-think things sometimes…. Yeah, ink from refill cartridges is really expensive, I just used some of that cheap do-it-yourself ink.

I think you will need to "scuff sand" the surface with some 00 steel wool (or equivilent) before spraying the paint over top of poly, right David? This will give the paint something to hold onto….. Good luck!!!!

· Registered
163 Posts
I hear ya brotha!! Finishing projects always gives me a great deal of anxiety!!! You can spend all this time designing, cutting, assembling and sanding then it's all undone my a simple mistake in the finishing room. That's one of the best things about LumberJock's, you can fast track your woodworking knowledge by learning from others….... Good Luck man, I know this project means a lot to you because it's something special for your girl!!!!

· Registered
163 Posts
Wow Ben, you do sound like an Ikea expert!!! Several years ago, when my daughter moved into her own apartment, I got pretty upset because she wanted ALL of her furniture to come from Ikea. I kept asking her if I could make her furniture because it would last her a lifetime but she said NO!!!! I ended up giving her $500.00 to buy her Ikea stuff and it broke my heart!!!!!!

· Registered
163 Posts
Just saw the post of your night stand. Very nice!!! Did it come out like you wanted it to? What method did you use to fix the finish!!! What was her reaction? Congrats on a job well done!!!! Hopefully she realizes how lucky she is to have someone that will put out this much effort for her!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.