LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,
I am building a large desk. I am making the top out of qswo. It will be 30"X50". There will be 6 boards glued up to make the width. I have no access to any large equipment. How can I smooth and level the top after gluing without spending the rest of my life sanding. I am afraid to use a belt sander because I have had nothing but bad things happen with them. I am going to use biscuits to help align the boards.
Thanks,
Skidiot

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
If you have a planner glue up enough of the top to run through the planner then being very careful about aligning the edges glue those sections together. Just make sure the sections are planned to the same thickness. after there dry you should be able to use a ROS to clean it up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with David about taking it to a local cabinet shop with a wide belt drum a sander. I recently built two tables a couple of weeks apart. On the first one I used a LN *7 to flaten the top, which was a lot of work. On the second one, I took it to a local shop. They made a couple of passes through the sander at different gritts. I think it cost me $10. pkennedy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.