LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I decided to make a small woodworking gift for my wife for xmas. I pre-purchased a Disney World Magic Kingdom raised (3d effect) picture frame while there and a small Gepetto ceramic statue. I'm going to attach these to a cherry base I cut. For those that have been to disney and stayed for the fireworks, I wanted to capture the moment the shootiing star moving across the sky over the castle (it's special to us) so I made a wooden arch to represent the tail and glued another piece I cut that looks like a flare. This is the first real finish I have done on anything so I hope I did it correct so far. I did a washcoat on the endgrain with a dewaxed shellac and then finished the wood with two coats of a mineral spirit, blo, and poly mixture (thirds) and sanding in between with 220. Its really nothing special looking as far as woodworking goes, just a small planed piece of cherry with chamfered edges on the top and a curved piece glued using a dowel.

Now here is the question, I plan on doing a couple coats of straight poly as well. But first I want to paint the star and also part of the curved piece that will be the tail. I have paints at home, but I'm not sure if they will work for this. I have water based paints for arts and crafts, not necessarily woodworking, and acrylics too. Would either of these work now that it has this blo/ poly finish? And could I put a coat of poly over either of these? I appreciate the last minute help. I'll be sure to post a pic of it soon.

Happy Holidays to all,
Eric

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
For ALL of my wood carvings, I use a combination of minwax transparent stains and when I have the need for paint, I use only acrylic paint - and I even use the cheapest ones from the craft store as a coat of clear matte or satin finish definitely seals and permanizes them. I don't even prime. For my golds, I do use the real stuff though - which is baroque paste, only because I don't like things too shiny or gold looking. If you want that type of look, best to use model gold or lacquer in the can and spray it into a container for easy brushing.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jordan. I ended up using Acrylic with poly over it. It turned out real nice and the wife loves it. I still think of it though as more of an arts and crafts project than woodworking, although I did plane the wood and use a bandsaw to make the curved piece and shooting star ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.