LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I need to thickness several lengths of 3/8X3/8 stock down to 5/16 square. I'm skeered to use the planer or TS.
Can anybody point me to a youtube video or maybe a post on LJs where a disk sander or a small drum sander in a drill press is used to accomplish this task.

Thanks! Your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
Gene, how about using the router table with some guides clamped in fron of the fence in front of the bit set it at 3/8 and behind the bit set it at 5/16 and push it thru. Eventually you will have to finish by pulling it thru. Then flip and do it again.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Gene how long is the material.
It would not be too skeery to cut a groove in a 2×4 lay your pieces in the groove and run the whole thing through a planer.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Personally Gene, I'd do it in the table saw, yes even my SS table saw. With a zero clearance insert and the push shoe I use it would be over in a few moments safely and accurately.
If not that I think jumbojack has a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all.
OK, Maybe the TS, If I survive I'll try the sanding jig Jeff and Dan referenced to smooth them.

The planer options have promise, too.

Bill, I thought of doing that way and decided against it because, down deep, I'm a chicken.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Table saw with rip fence and side and downward pressing feather boards and a really skinny push stick. I've been able to put the wider part of the wood between the saw and the fence and get strips on the outer side of the saw as thin as 1/16".

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could use a thin rip guide on the Table Saw.
I have the Rockler one and it will do exactly what you want.
Just use a push block that would be a throw away.
It's really not that bad!
I have cut stuff down to 1/8" with that method.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
I'd use the planer. My 735 will plane down to 1/8" with no problems. Place them side to side- tight together. plane to 5/16". Rotate all of them 90 degrees and repeat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Gene,
Good to hear you are still working! I had a similar issue with slices for a bent lamination, and solved it by following the lead of Michael Fortune in his build of a set of bent lamination Outdoor Chairs. He used his Planer, with an auxiliary 3/4" melamine platen on the base, and lifted both ends of the piece as he planed them. I did the same, cutting slices at a fat 1/8" from a 4 squared, 4.5" x 2.25" x 68" blank, and ran them through the planer without a hitch. The end result was 5/32" thick, ready for glue up.

The method is to start the wood into the planer, lift the back end of the piece so the front of the wood stays flat on the new platen, and lift the planed end as it comes out of the planer. The action keeps the wood solid on the platen and prevents any snipe from occurring.

Hope this is of help.

Gerry

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
I rip hardwood to ride in miter slots all the time. And other narrow stock on a regular basis for jigs and such. I just keep the blade low and use a scrap piece of ply as a push stick.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Gene, I would do it EXACTLY as Lew recommended (unless you can't afford to have any snipe on the ends). Plan B would be to run them through the drum sander I assume you DON"T have!

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
Change the plans, so you can use the 3/8X3/8 stock as is….
Of course, that's just me way of doin' things!!! ;^)

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I won't be back in the shop for a couple days. But, because I really like building jigs, I can't afford ANY snipe,
and the more I think about it, I'm going with the sanding jig.
That was after tossing and turning all night long, wrestling with this decision.
That's not to say I won't forget what I decided and just take them down with a hand plane.
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.
And Randy, building the sanding jig is just another way to procrastinate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.