LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey folks,

I recently got a "Stanley No 5 corrugated", after a close inspection I came up to the conclusion that its not an Stanley, due to several factors, (I hope to be wrong)

I took several photos for you to please help me identify this plane correctly, is it a good quality plane?, the blade says "Ohio" and the main body "No 05" and that's about it.

So if anyone knows anything about this plane I will appreciate your help a lot.

So what do you think, is it worth to keep it ?

Thanks

Alonso

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't think I can really use that information since there's no Stanley marks other than the Lever Cap, and that its easy to switch it from another plane but hey, there's a lot of good information. What I see on this plane is this.

1) No brass screws for the knob of tote.
2) No screw adjuster behind the frog (last picture)
3) Cap iron is not the same width as the blade (picture no 8)
4) Lateral adjustment lever is not typical for stanley (at least not on the ones that I already own) (picture 9)

Today or tomorrow I should receive another Stanley No 5 corrugated I will compare them both and see what I can find

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 5 on a Stanley would be on the other end of the plane and it would be "No 5", not "No 05"
Bailey would be in the front. More then likely not a Stanley, sorry I can't tell who did make it.
If you bought it to use and it works, why not use it?

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
The main concern I would have from a user perspective is if the Frog is not able to mate with body of the plane correctly. The parts look to be of reasonable quality. Though it definately is a Frakenplane. Any chance the tote mod is to accomidate someone with large hands?

I agree with caseman, sharpen it up and try it out. Make your decision from there.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me ask something,

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "Frakenplane"

WayneC

I will take a couple more of pictures of the frog area, when I was putting it back together it gave me a little bit of hard time to do it, perhaps like you said is not sitting totally flat

By the way I got my Stanley Bailey No 5 "genuine" :0 today and this one is not even close to be like the one I got today, which seems to be pretty old like a type 5~7 which make it about 123 to 110 years old !!!!! I'll post some pics later on.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
I do think the only things that are out of place are the lever cap and the tote. Think the tote is a stanley tote. Assumes this is an Ohio Tool company #5.

Frankenplane is slang for a plane some one constructed of spare parts they had lieing around in their shop.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so here it is the picture of the frog from different angles…

You can see on this last picture that there's some gap between the frog and the main casting…

And a couple of pictures of the tote, I'm still thinking this is not an stanley….. any other guess

I think after all I will keep it, if I don't use it I will at least look nice on the wall… lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like someone drove a dowel down the long tote hole then drill a smaller diameter hole for the screw they were using. If you're wondering what the tool is worth, it's worth what you paid for it. It also appears to be repainted so collectors will be turned off by that along with the other things that are not original. Should be a nice user though.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like I said I think I will keep it but the only thing that bothers me is the big gap between the frog and the main body…..I will give it a try once I sharpen the iron…

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
The hole in the frog below the blade adjuster makes me wonder if it is a stanley frog. It looks like the hole for the screw to adjust the frog on a stanley plane.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wayne,

It may not be the case, if you take a look on the ebay link that you posted, the first picture, the lateral leveler, seems to be exactly the same kind as the one I have, also I have never seen a lateral leveler of that shape on an Stanley frog. (look picture No 6 & 9 at top)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.