LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Long time, no chat, jocks. Now that the scary yellow orb has returned above the God-forsaken wasteland that is the Upper Midwest, I've been able to drag my tools out of storage (more specifically, the CEO's walk-in closet) and get cracking.

My first two missions for the year are to build some sleds for my table saw. Have watched a ton of videos and attended a great seminar at the Woodworking Show, so was all set and ready to go until I pulled my saw out, set it up and realized: every single sled I've seen is for "full-sized" table saws, not the puny, piddly portable number I own (thanks to a very, very good HD deal).

I'm working with the Ridgid R45161 (the black friday special, if anyone else saw it). So I feel like a sled might not work because of how close the blade is to the front or back?

If anyone has any suggestions / links / projects they'd be willing to share, the Schlitz is on me.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
No reason why you can't make a sled for your saw… it will just have to be a bit smaller than what is possible on a full sized table. This is one I made for a little benchtop c-man saw:

Wood Wall Landscape Tints and shades Art

It's about 10 inches front to back and can handle stock up to a little over 7" wide. Made from scrap wood I had laying around the shop.

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have the Bosch 4100 and it doesn't have a lot of room in front of the blade, either. I made this sled, and it's worked well for me for 2 years now. When I use it, the blade is slightly inside the sled, but the adjustability allows one to set it up such that there is no possibility of pinching the blade.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think your saw has ~5-6" of space before the blade. Nothing stopping you from building a crosscut sled. Steve Ramsey had a video from way back building a sled for his old saw, which is similar in size.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have that very saw. Used it for woodworking until I got a cabinet saw. I made a sled for it and it works fine. It's a bit smaller than those for larger saws of course.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ed - Thanks, that helped!

PAX - Steve's videos were what got me thinking about a sled. That and my inability to cut an accurate miter with my miter saw.

JDH - Did you make it to cover the entire table surface?

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
The sled I pictured above was for basically the same saw as that shown in Steves video… and yeah, it only had about 6" of table before the blade, but the sled worked great. You can pull it back off the table a few inches and the runners will still keep it lined up, or just set it so the blade is slightly inside the front brace. I like the idea of the sliding stop block on his though. I just used a small c-clamp to secure a stop block which worked just as well but not quite as convenient.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got started on a couple yesterday. Runners are being a little fussy, but I think some paste wax will help things slide a little easier. I'll post some pictures after they're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.