LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
okay so this is the bench I'm working on…

Photobucket

and I'm going to be putting a back board on it (cut with a nice design though)...

Photobucket

what I want your input on is whether or not I should put a hand carving of a mountain or something on the backboard hense I've never carved before but i have beginner tools for it. Also my project is still undergo so dont mind if it still looks too square to ya I need to do lots of sanding and routing still. But any input on a carving for the backboard would be appreciated. THX!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I'd say go for it. New challenges are what it's all about. Get some scraps, play with your design. Make sure your design fits the tools you will do it with.

·
Registered
51,858 Posts
The carving would be great. I think the mountain scene would be nice, or maybe some kind of an animal like a moose or deer. Or maybe even some birds…golly…I think it would look great no matter what you choose.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
yea..good idea mark…maybe look around the site here to get inspired on a carving…or go by your design in your head..but looking at some others will be helpful…or find a scene you like and go with that…it better to have some kind of guide…i look forward to seeing what you decide on ..have fun….carving is a lot of fun..ive only done a small amount…but know from that that i wish i would have gotten into it earlier..good luck.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
mark..you can draw out a tree, you have to get the juices flowing..a nice large trunk with burls and such..and the limbs…you will have to play with it to get the foliage but just look at other carvings of tree's…you can do if ya want..what ever you decide..if you can envision it..you can carve it…..DO IT…LOL…...grizz

·
Registered
767 Posts
Your bench…...your choice…......I'm with the others….........want to try carving…...go for it!!!....another learning experience to develope a new skill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.