LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all! I am a total beginner, finishing my first project. I'm making some built-ins that sit an both sides of my piano. They have open-back shelves. I'm just finishing up but I'm looking for some advice. I have scribed the bookcases so that they sit flush with the wall, but the actual shelves themselves have a slight gap in the back. Is that a big deal? Should I scribe all the shelves, etc so that everything is flush or is it okay to have a slight gap? I feel like i wouldn't even notice the gap, but my neighbor seems to disagree. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
If the shelves are adjustable, I wouldn't think twice about it. Once you start putting things on the shelves, the gaps won't show anyhow. If they are fixed, use caulk as Iwud suggested, but only if the gaps bothers you. FWIW

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi all! I am a total beginner, finishing my first project. I'm making some built-ins that sit an both sides of my piano. They have open-back shelves. I'm just finishing up but I'm looking for some advice. I have scribed the bookcases so that they sit flush with the wall, but the actual shelves themselves have a slight gap in the back. Is that a big deal? Should I scribe all the shelves, etc so that everything is flush or is it okay to have a slight gap? I feel like i wouldn't even notice the gap, but my neighbor seems to disagree. Thoughts?

- NewbieAsh
Got pics?
Painted? Stained?
Many ways to do this.
Help us out and show us what we are dealing with.
Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. So I will be painting them white. They are going on a wall that is a textured wallpaper, which would make caulking a little more difficult right?? The gaps are small, some smaller than others, but none bigger than probably a half or a quarter centimeter maybe?? I'm not home but will post pics when I get home.
Thanks for the advice all! I don't think the gaps would bother me all that much, but wondering if I'll regret not making it perfect!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.