LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have to design and mount a shelf over the pass way between the kitchen and the dining room for my wife.
She wants to put all her antique kitchen label tin cans on it. (baking soda, flour ect. ect..)
The shelf will be around 4' long and the total space to the ceiling is 20". The tallest tins are 9 " high.
I have searched but haven't seen anything that exciting.
Anyone have an idea to share? Photos are always great.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
The shelves sit in a dado on each side of the center support. The center support does not have the "upper portion" like the end pieces. Each end piece also has a dado to support the shelves. The top of the shelves have a groove routed the entire length to act as a plate groove plus they have a small rail attached near the front to prevent anything from sliding off.

Hope this helps.

Lew

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My mantle can be used as a shelf, coat rack, or upside down, possibly with different ends, or no ends like Schroeder did. If you're not into Arts & Crafts style, what about a simple crown molding with a flat top hanging over. You can return it into the wall on the ends for a nice, classic look. I would use a French cleat to hang it if possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.