LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I emptied my HF dust collector and now I need to clean the filter bag. I shook it out but there still seems to be a lot of dust in it. Those of you who have this collector, how do you clean the bag? I know you will be suggesting that I replace it with the pleated filter but I can't right now. I was thinking of throwing it in the washer but not sure if that will ruin it or not. The manual doesn't say anything about this subject.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
DO NOT throw it in the washer. Shake it out and place it back on the machine. The fine particles that are in the bag help with the filtering process. I know it seemd strange but it does. If the canister filter isnt in the budget you might look at the replacement oversize bags from Oneida. They are a little cheaper than tha canister and do a nice job.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Greetings: I agree with MedicKen…. DO NOT wash the filter bag, and DO NOT put it in the dryer…..
It will shrink the bags, and you'll have a devil of a time getting them back on, they'll be so tight.
They will also lose the protectunt that is sprayed on them at the factory (whatever it is called).
Shake it out, or beat it aganist a tree to get rid of the big stuff inside the bag….....

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
You do NOT want to get rid of the fine cake, just the bigger chunky stuff. The fine cake helps the bag filter, for what that's worth…

That 5 micron rating for the newer bags, and 30 for the older, is based on the bag being built up with fine cake. You are passing MUCH coarser material without it…

Since you mention money is too tight for a cartridge filter, I would suggest you run the DC outside, that way you are not just picking up the dangerous dust and blowing it further through the air with the porus factory bags… And honestly if you are going to do that, just leave the bag off the thing and let the fines blow in the wind…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.