LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
P/N 708344

Google search will turn up a few sources, ranging from about $90 to well over $100

And since Jet apparently discontinued the JWL1236, those prices will most likely go up, and availability will go down.

Fluid Liquid Gas Cylinder Auto part

BTW: I don't have one on mine, and I never really felt like I needed one. YMMV.

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I was on ereplacementsparts.com and checked while I was there. They list part number JWL 1236-49 as original manufacturer part for $59.51.
- bold1
Wrong part. That is the tail stock hand wheel which is not the same.
The correct one at ereplacementparts.com is listed at $106.29
(but also says it is factory backordered)

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a used Jet 1236 lathe with a missing handwheel and stripped lead screw around 5 years ago. The lathe was from the era when they used blue paint and the part bold1 mentioned for $59.51 was the correct part. Not to rub it in, but the part was $35.25 in 2018…

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I bought a used Jet 1236 lathe with a missing handwheel and stripped lead screw around 5 years ago. The lathe was from the era when they used blue paint and the part bold1 mentioned for $59.51 was the correct part. Not to rub it in, but the part was $35.25 in 2018…
- MikeUT
The $59 handwheel is absolutely correct if you are looking for the one on the tail stock. The OP is looking for the one that fits the head stock. Just to clarify - they are two completely different animals.

The head stock handwheel will fit the HF lathe as well, although HF does not have any handwheels to sell. Most people with the HF lathe looked to purchasing the Jet handwheel if they wanted one.

There are probably some still available out there - but if you want a DIY solution - Here is video on how to make one for the JWL1236:

Handmade Lathe Handwheel on YouTube

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
244 Posts
- MikeUT

The $59 handwheel is absolutely correct if you are looking for the one on the tail stock. The OP is looking for the one that fits the head stock. Just to clarify - they are two completely different animals.

The head stock handwheel will fit the HF lathe as well, although HF does not have any handwheels to sell. Most people with the HF lathe looked to purchasing the Jet handwheel if they wanted one.

There are probably some still available out there - but if you want a DIY solution - Here is video on how to make one for the JWL1236:

Handmade Lathe Handwheel on YouTube

Cheers,
Brad

- MrUnix
Ha, I read tailstock until you pointed it out. My brain jumped to conclusions because the one I bought was missing tailstock parts. Maybe if I read the OP instead of skimming over it I would have been able to make heads not tails of it…

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Ha, I read tailstock until you pointed it out. My brain jumped to conclusions because the one I bought was missing tailstock parts. Maybe if I read the OP instead of skimming over it I would have been able to make heads not tails of it…
- MikeUT
No problem… happens to me all the time also ;)

I bought my JWL-1236 used as well - although I was really buying it because it came with a Vega pro duplicator. AFAIK, they never shipped with the head stock handwheel and it has always been an optional purchase. I never really thought I needed it though, so didn't bother buying one when I could have back years ago. It also prevents you from using a knock-out rod when needed - you would have to remove the handwheel to do so, which is kind of a PITA.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Have you thought about making a hand wheel. You have the lathe to turn the hand wheel. Buy a tap for the threads and I'm sure you have scrap wood laying around. I've seen some of our local woodworkers make their own handles for their lathes and drill presses. Oversized of coarse on the tail stock for more grip. I myself like a steel handle on a lathe. But for a drill press, a round hand wheel made to size, you didn't have to worry about the fence getting in the way when setting table height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took issue with my JET 1015 tailstock handwheel and decided to pick up a cast-iron one off of the interwebs. The process was beyond easy and turned out perfect. I purchased 2, so the headstock wheel is next. Tapping might present a problem, but I expect if I go slow and keep the iron cool it will be no problem. The same will be true for you too! Then again, you're likely already done :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
You might try Bolt Companies. Here in Vancouver - Portland metro area we have both Vancouver Bolt and Portland Bolt. Both are amazing stores that seem to be able to get any screws or bolts you might need.

They also source long drill bits, taps and dies.

Might do a search for a like company near you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts