Solid work!Putting it all together - part 1
So i reckon i got too excited to get this together so not many pictures but I will try to explain as I can. Sure to be many edits…as i am posting this from memory i will do specifics later.
So I left off with dryfitting my leg assemblies, i think.
I took those assemblies and mated them to my top slab and aprons with clamps, while in my tight shop that night. I just had to see what it would look like.
The next morning drug everything out onto my carport. And put it all together again to get a better look.
When i got my fill of thrill at getting to third base, i then flipped the slab upsidedown on a pair of sawhorses. I checked and rechecked and checked again for the corner that my endvice would be mounted.
My endvice originally came from my grandfathers shop, mounted to a rickety table he used for assembly. The table probably used to be fairly solid. After sitting idle for 12 years and apparently a couple floods in the old shop it was about to fall over due to rot in the legs. The vice itself is very solid, no slop, and is quick release. It was fairly dirty and rusty so i cleaned it up and gave it some new paint, some time back.
Anyone seen one like this before, i tried looking it up and didn't find much.
But on to the bench..
So i took my vice and set in place, so i could see what i needed to do to get it mounted. I wanted the rear jaw inset/flush to the end and no more than 1/2" from the top. The depth of the mounting bracket is only 2.5" tall so i had to chop out of bottom of slab to get it closer to the top.
It also had a slight taper, so i had to work on that.
Got it! Two 5/16 2" lags from the bottom and two #10 1.5" screws in from the face hold it in place.
With slab still upsidedown i put things together to do some marking of legs and aprons for some recesses to flush them all. Some of this process is explained in Paul Seller's blog and video, the aprons mainly. The legs had notches cut into them on the top to get everything flush.
They are ~ 5/8" in depth and 5.5" in height. The aprons recess (or dado?) Is also ~ 5/8" in depth, giving me roughly 1 1/4" total, the thickness of my aprons.
Legs were crosscut with my D-8 to depth on the marked line, and ripped with my thumbhole D-8. Cleaned up with chisel.
Aprons were done via Seller's method, knifewall, saw sides to depth as close as possible, chisel and router plane to get to final depth. I had dryfit and marked these being shy 1/8" above topslab to allow for final sizing.
I then dryfit again, and ended up doing some more fine tuning. And finally got it all where i wanted.
The left leg assembly is set 9" from the end of slab/apron. The right assembly is 13.5", to accommodate for my tail vice.
More later in part 2, falling asleep here.
Thanks for reading
Man, I love that vise. Makes me want to paint my Veritas…
29.3 KB Views: 3
20 KB Views: 2
30.7 KB Views: 3
15.4 KB Views: 4
19.4 KB Views: 2
31.8 KB Views: 3
32.9 KB Views: 3
28.9 KB Views: 3
24.6 KB Views: 2
28.3 KB Views: 2
28.1 KB Views: 2
26.8 KB Views: 5
25 KB Views: 2
18 KB Views: 3