LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have decided to give up on "budget" tools and instead focus on buying tools that I will be happy with throughout my woodworking lifetime - even if it means waiting. That being said, I have recently purchased a Lie-Nielsen bevel-up jack plane and a couple of Lie-Nielsen chisels (I was able to try them out prior to buying and fell in love - they fit my hands perfectly).

Now I am considering how to store the tools. I don't get the chance to get in the "shop" very often and I am concerned about rust and corrosion due to the high humidity in this part of Indiana. I was thinking about building a tight fitting, sealed cabinet with descant bags. Any thoughts? What do you guys do? If I use a cabinet with descant, will I need to use oil/grease?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I imagine the dessicant couldn't hurt. I have the same situation since my shop-in-the-making also substitutes as a garage for my wife's car. I'm probably going to bring my tools inside for the winter, and if nothing else toss them in some tupperware. Not sure what to do with the power tools yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dessicant probably couldn't hurt, but I've had a set of chisels and such out in my garage for almost a year now, and nothing to keep them from rusting and have yet to have a problem. And that was even during the typical very humid Indiana summer we had. Just kept them in my tool box and they are still fine. They rarely see use, but still look brand new.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John - Thanks for the link. I build something similar to this but not nearly as nice!

Rabbet - I have heard of the plane socks/sacks before but I have not heard any feedback regarding how well they work.

Jason - Thanks for the tupperware idea. That will get me through the winter with very little cost!

Jim - I agree with the chisels. My "budget" chisels don't have a bit of rust. I guess I am more concerned with the cast iron of the plane and figured I would just put all of my expensive hand tools in the same storage.

·
Premium Member
25,663 Posts
I use a small hearter called a "Golden Rod" in the safe. If you use oil, use something like 3 & 1 oil, definitely not WD-40. WD-40 will allow freshly machined steel to lightly rust over night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.