LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
14141 - 14160 of 14190 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Measures out as 9" long, with a 2" wide iron...
So it’s really a #4, and possibly after the acquisition by Stanley. I’m not clear on when Gage switched the numbering of the smaller planes from “inches long” to Stanley-style numbers. That doesn’t seem to be well-documented on the web, either.

I haven’t yet figured out if it’s possible to remove the threaded inserts from the body without inflicting damage on the wood, but I suspect not. I’ve got one Gage that’s got a severely cracked body that’s probably going to get sacrificed so I can test that, and possibly install them in a new body, but yes, the screws that hold the frog into the body can be hard to install if those inserts have rusted. I squirted a bunch of WD-40 down those holes to free things up, and that helped some, but I’d still like to de-gunk and de-rust the inserts, so I’ll probably be doing that once I clear current projects off my bench. So maybe before the first of the year…

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
Good. You won't be trying to sell me anything :p
Not yet, anyway lol One of those combination planes is actually an upgrade to one I already have, so I'll have one to sell, and I'm at the point where I've got enough Fales parts, that chances are good that if I buy a group of unknown parts I'll end up with mostly duplicates... I might have to gift you a Fales plane body, just so I have somewhere gullable friendly to dump my extras :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
Just the ones I have seen on ebay. Are they for the tool or for a box? If for a box, you might print your own and try the onion skin paper method.

• Helpful
Reactions: bandit571

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
Just the ones I have seen on ebay. Are they for the tool or for a box? If for a box, you might print your own and try the onion skin paper method.
Pretty sure they’re for a combination plane…
haha maybe a rare "Manufactured by Otis A Smith" millers falls combination plane :D

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Paraffin in a tube? Just like my lip balm? ;)

With global warming pushing everyone into triple digits in summer, let me pass along a tip:
Store paraffin in sealed bag or container if you shop does not have temp control !!

Paraffin is PITA in my Arizona shop. When temp goes over ~100°, all my Gulf Wax slabs soften and join into one giant blob. If box end opens, find paraffin oozing out into drawer.
Slabs I keep for waxing TS tilt/lift gears, ends up melted in the shape of it's tupperware container every summer, and was a giant mess in bottom of drawer before I learned my lesson.

Have zero issues with melting beeswax, even with shop temperatures to 115°; thanks to higher softening temp.
It lubes hand planes just as well, and excess removes with naphtha just like paraffin. Have a local beekeeper who services the citrus orchards in my area, that sells block of filtered beeswax cheap in his road side honey stand. :)

If you need cheap "furniture" wax for your tools, look for Staples Crystal Clear (Bowling Alley) Paste Wax (available at Woodcraft)
IME - it's same as LV plane wax, except a one pound can is nearly same price as 4 ounce tin from LV.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Global warming saw us hit high 80’s this summer and we may not be done yet.

Exactly what I was thinking … Chapstick for hand planes, LoL.

Thanks for the tip on storing in a bag. My shop rarely ever sees temps above 75

14141 - 14160 of 14190 Posts