LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
14101 - 14120 of 14190 Posts

·
Premium Member
I like bringing old tools back to life. Putting together a new shop since 2019
2,547 Posts
Very nice Kenny, a couple look unused even. very nice.
I just added a stop to my new workbench. I don't even remember where I got them some 30 years back. Don't remember where I found the quick release screw either. Might have been Habitat Restore.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
That's for sure lol I'm having a hell of a time uploading pictures form mobile, but it's insanely easy from desktop now that I can just copy-paste them in. On mobile it just seems to hang when "Loading image" after uploading the first one. It took me saving the draft, refreshing, and uploading a new image to get both those images in my first post-upgrade post here

·
Registered
946 Posts
That's for sure lol I'm having a hell of a time uploading pictures from mobile, but it's insanely easy from desktop now that I can just copy-paste them in. On mobile it just seems to hang when "Loading image" after uploading the first one. It took me saving the draft, refreshing, and uploading a new image to get both those images in my first post-upgrade post here
Plane Rebate plane Table Wood Automotive design

Well, damn. Silly me went and used the Insert Image button on the editor's toolbar the first time I tried and it worked about the same as the old system (dialogue box, select file...). Ctl-V is so much easier...

I built this thin strip thicknessing jig a while back and it is now causing me difficulties. When I press down at the near end to start, the far end often lifts and allows the workpiece to be pushed out of the jig. Does anybody have some suggestions or photos of their own jigs that I can see? For reference, I've screwed the sides of this one to a fixed spot because the adjusting screw holes were wearing too much. Now I use a 1/2" shim (approximately) to raise the workpiece to height.
Plane Rebate plane Table Wood Automotive design

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
I like that thin strip jig Kent. I'll have to keep that in mind for future :) Have you thought about using carpet tape to secure the wood to prevent it lifting or sliding?

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
I built this thin strip thicknessing jig a while back and it is now causing me difficulties. When I press down at the near end to start, the far end often lifts and allows the workpiece to be pushed out of the jig. Does anybody have some suggestions or photos of their own jigs that I can see? For reference, I've screwed the sides of this one to a fixed spot because the adjusting screw holes were wearing too much. Now I use a 1/2" shim (approximately) to raise the workpiece to height.
I've had a similar one for a long time that was always single-height, but I would say check to make sure your shim is long enough to support the whole work piece you're planing.

Otherwise are the pieces you're planing already cut to their finished length? A couple screws or nails through the end stop to grip in to the end grain a little might do the trick too. I've not used mine in a while, so I don't recall having that issue with it, but have with my V-block planing jig for similar issues (I use that for tapering round/octagonal stock)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
A note to @Sylvain -- spot on. Mouth was too open for final smoothing. Thanks for the top-notch tip that actually worked. For those that missed it, there was a kerfuffle over trying to determine why a super tuned plane would jump out of the cut on a board that was already finish-smoothed with an even more super tuned plane. Answer was: if your mouth is too far open.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have this jig at a fixed height. I was using full-length 1/8" plywood shims without any issues but they warped with the humidity when I recently stopped using the A/C. Since then, I've had nothing but problems. I wound up making a new 1/2" shim to replace the warped 1/8" shims and made sure that it was flat and true.

Despite that, the 1/4"-thick workpiece still rocks the far end up and it ejects itself. The workpiece is still a little longer than needed, but it is still a few inched shorter than either the jig or the 1/2" shim/auxiliary bed that is in it now. I've rejected the double-sided tape because the jig should work without it. I've been mulling over some sort of toothed stop or wood screws and that will probably be my next step.

14101 - 14120 of 14190 Posts