LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My New/Old 32" Jointer Plane

Picked up this 32" Jointer Plane at an antique store sale today. Looks in great shape, 2.5" iron is a bit nicked but was quite sharp. No marking on the plane itself, but has "Spear & Jackson" stamped on the iron. Looks original to the plane. I'm hoping I'll be able to use it after a little tune up.

Can anyone tell me anything more about this style of plane? There's a little wooden 'button' or something on the top near the front? Could this be a plug or something where a knob may have been attached?

Here it is along side my Veritas LA BU Jack for comparison:
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Engineering

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Kitchen utensil

Wood Gold Hardwood Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Musical instrument Audio equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Picked up this 32" Jointer Plane at an antique store sale today. Looks in great shape, 2.5" iron is a bit nicked but was quite sharp. No marking on the plane itself, but has "Spear & Jackson" stamped on the iron. Looks original to the plane. I'm hoping I'll be able to use it after a little tune up.

Can anyone tell me anything more about this style of plane? There's a little wooden 'button' or something on the top near the front? Could this be a plug or something where a knob may have been attached?

I don't know that much about old planes Mike but I have to agree that that might be for a knob. Wouldn't a plane that long need some pressure up front? Though it does look like it's TOO forward. Hmmm, I'll be curious to hear what other jocks have to say. Either way she's a beaut and nice addition to your tools I'm sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts

Hi,

The knob on the front is to loose the plane blade.
They mostly where used in wooden shipbuilding.
I have one my self.
Here some history about it. It's only in dutch.

They where used for making the rough cuts. It's a big bock plane.
After that you use a jointerplane.

http://collectie.hmr.rotterdam.nl/objecten/60457

http://www.friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/indeling/detail/start/23/trefwoord/Hoofdcategorie/Scheepsbouw/trefwoord/creator/Nooitgedagt%2C%20J%3A

Good luck

Houtje

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts

Hi,
Here an other link.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=76xaUwsNOrIC&pg=PA2418&lpg=PA2418&dq=voorloper+schaaf&source=bl&ots=UxVbjQP761&sig=UuvtzMKHGLSnVedvvkd862C4-hg&hl=nl&ei=SK-6TPSUBYuUOtayyfkM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=voorloper%20schaaf&f=false

The knob is calling a slagdop or slagkop
means punch button.

Houtje

Attachments

·
Registered
7,966 Posts

I have one that is almost the exact same thing as your big plane, and with the same little "button" on it.

I have been planning on tuning it up but I am just learning to sharpen. Look forward to more on how yours comes out!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,109 Posts

That's a great old jointer.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the info Houtje.. unfortunately, I can't read Dutch. It certainly is a big plane though!

I'm still learning to sharpen too Jim. Did pretty good job on my BU Jack so feel confident about tuning up this one. I don't have a grinder though, so I may purchase a rougher water stone to take out the nicks. it may take me a while (I'm looking at moving my studio and pretty busy with work this month) but as I work on it I'll post it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts

Try to use google translate.
I use it to when I don't understand it.

Houtje

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my Wenzloff Large Tenon Saw!

Ordered it from LV on Friday and received it this afternoon. Couldn't wait to open the box and start cutting!

First impression - BEAUTIFUL!! It was much heavier than I expected, most likely due to the thick brass back, but the handle was very comfortable in my hand (three finger grip). It's much heavier than my other back saws (an old Disston and a no-name) but also much easier to saw with.

I'm just a beginner and still need to practice on technique, but I first tried it on a piece of pine and it cut like a knife through butter - no downward force on my part at all. I then tried a piece of scrap oak. It was a little harder to start (I'm sure it's my technique) but once it got going was quite smooth. I'm sure if I add a little wax it'll be even smoother.

It cut straighter than I do! In other words, I was able to quickly figure out what I was doing wrong and correct it to cut straight. It actually taught me! Very cool. Now I can't wait to afford some wood to actually work on something.

Here's some photos and my first cuts in the oak. I wasn't really trying to cut to the line - more trying to cut straight.
String instrument Wood Musical instrument Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Crosscut saw Rectangle Hardwood Cuisine

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

Ordered it from LV on Friday and received it this afternoon. Couldn't wait to open the box and start cutting!

First impression - BEAUTIFUL!! It was much heavier than I expected, most likely due to the thick brass back, but the handle was very comfortable in my hand (three finger grip). It's much heavier than my other back saws (an old Disston and a no-name) but also much easier to saw with.

I'm just a beginner and still need to practice on technique, but I first tried it on a piece of pine and it cut like a knife through butter - no downward force on my part at all. I then tried a piece of scrap oak. It was a little harder to start (I'm sure it's my technique) but once it got going was quite smooth. I'm sure if I add a little wax it'll be even smoother.

It cut straighter than I do! In other words, I was able to quickly figure out what I was doing wrong and correct it to cut straight. It actually taught me! Very cool. Now I can't wait to afford some wood to actually work on something.

Here's some photos and my first cuts in the oak. I wasn't really trying to cut to the line - more trying to cut straight.

Sweet piece, gratz on the addition

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

She's a beaut! The green glow you see in the East? That be me!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,585 Posts

I'm a sucker for a nice backsaw Mike and your Wenzloff is gorgeous. I'll be looking at your tenons very closely from now on :)

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks Brit.. no pressure eh!? Let me get some practice in first! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
8,109 Posts

Wow that is a nice looking saw Mike. Turn that wood around cut some tenons. ;)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.