LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...you know you are hooked when...

1. You've gone from almost no hand tools to knowing the differences between Type 8 and Type 9 Stanley hand planes in less than a year.
2. You find yourself making excuses like: Well the number 5 I have now doesn't have a corrugated bottom.
3. You make a dedicated plane shelf in your shop.
4. You find yourself spending a spare 15 minutes honing anything sharp to ensure it's ready for the next use.
5. You find yourself using a plane on things that probably don't need it…like window sills.
6. You find yourself trying to teach your parents which chisels can be used with hammers and which ones can't….

http://lh4.google.com/srhinson/R07cWvYfz3I/AAAAAAAAATI/pEmRYRj_LOM/House%20Photos%202%20074.jpg?imgmax=512

·
Registered
119 Posts

1. You've gone from almost no hand tools to knowing the differences between Type 8 and Type 9 Stanley hand planes in less than a year.
2. You find yourself making excuses like: Well the number 5 I have now doesn't have a corrugated bottom.
4. You find yourself spending a spare 15 minutes honing anything sharp to ensure it's ready for the next use.
5. You find yourself using a plane on things that probably don't need it…like window sills.
6. You find yourself trying to teach your parents which chisels can be used with hammers and which ones can't….

http://lh4.google.com/srhinson/R07cWvYfz3I/AAAAAAAAATI/pEmRYRj_LOM/House%20Photos%202%20074.jpg?imgmax=512
7) You use a hand tool for a job that a power tool that you already own could do faster and with more precision.

Uh oh! Sounds like somebody is out of control with hand tools. I think power tool junkies have a similar problem.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

8) You make a Movie to tell the world about card scrapers.

·
Registered
528 Posts

9) You are considering posting your power tools on Craig's List. :)

I'm really considering what I really need and don't use anymore.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

10. you buy another #3 because it looks like a good one even though you seldom use the three you already have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

10. you buy another #3 because it looks like a good one even though you seldom use the three you already have.

HA! Caught me! You saw that eh? See it's perfectly reasonable. One is set up with a back bevel ground into the blade…and the other is not. COMPLETELY necessary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Blake,

Good movie btw…I had watched it the other day!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

11) you constantly search eBay for a #1 that might sneak through without anyone else noticing even though they're probably unusable and impractical, just so you can complete the set.

·
Registered
315 Posts

#12 you spend 2 hours explaining in detail to your wife that you actually need one more #4 for spare parts for the other 3 #4's that work perfectly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay...so my #7 is on the way...

I just got word that my #7 I bought is being mailed…is it wrong to be this excited? I gotta go build more room into the hand plane storage shelf?

It's a wards-master…but it was only $20…so if I can tune it to a good user…I'm $ ahead…

Scott

·
Registered
528 Posts

I just got word that my #7 I bought is being mailed…is it wrong to be this excited? I gotta go build more room into the hand plane storage shelf?

It's a wards-master…but it was only $20…so if I can tune it to a good user…I'm $ ahead…

Scott
No it's not wrong. When I get that email with a tracking number for a new tool I ordered, I get giddy.

The other day I ordered a new marking gauge and it was missing a couple set screws for the mortise blades. I got the email with the tracking number for the set screws and got excited :).

·
Registered
315 Posts

Scott
That's pretty good, I check the tracking numbers also, it's picked up(good) it's in NJ, it left NJ, it's on the west coast, It has left the west coast,(that's 500 mph and 2500 miles,hmmm) I try and calculate the time the plane should pass overhead and go outside with the binoculars, just on the chance I see the plane by, just to make shur all the doors are closed and all, it's on Oahu and finally it makes to the big island and I call UPS and offer to meet the driver somewhere, because I know I could shave one, maybe two hours off the delivery.
So as far as being excited, I'm afraid you are alittle too calm.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Scott
I love it! I wish they'd let see the GPS tracking info, I know they have on their trucks!

·
Registered
570 Posts

Scott
Ahh, gotta love the new tool expectations! My father warned me about that. He told me that once I got into woodworking I would always want a new/better/unique tool to some job better/faster/safer/more efficiently. Boy was he right! Ain't it grand!

God Bless,
Hawg

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

Scott
Yep, that's part of the fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.