Blake,Bench Almost Complete
More bench progress…
Here is the "tail" vice mortised into the end of the bench. You can also see how the underside of the bench looks with all the different widths I used:
Clamping on the wider "apron" pieces front and back:
And adding the end aprons with dowels:
As you can see I painted the 4×6 fir base black:
I leveled the table with shims under the feet and then bolted the legs to the floor:
And then the fun part began…
I routed the edges of my vice jaws on the router table:
The vices came out really nicely. I made the tail vice so it would span across the entire width of the bench. That way I could have bench dogs along both edges of the bench for wide clamping.
Nearly complete… now all I have to do is add the dog holes, and a little sanding/finishing. I actually made it to the Sacramento Woodworking Show on Sunday and picked up some brass Veritas bench dogs.
I think it looks really good with the black base.
(See all the shavings on the floor!)
Here are the links to the finished bench and cabinet in my projects:
this looks great! nice job.
is there a newer pic you could post. just curious what you came up with for dog placement.
all the best-