LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,163 Posts
My first Krenov Style Plane

I made my first plane!

I used the blade from one of those old wooden planes I had. As you can see I had a variety of these old planes with different style blades. Straight, concave, and a couple different radii of convex blades:

Here are some progress photos…

Making the Body:

I started out with a block of Koa that I got on our honeymoon in Kauai, Hawaii.

Look, two plane bodies!

I used the width of the blade as a guide to cut my block into slabs.

I am basing my design from instructions in various books from James Krenov. Here I am checking and drawing the angles for the mouth:

And cut them on the bandsaw:

I had to run one of the triangle pieces on my router table to create the space for the screw that holds chip breaker on to the iron.

Making the Pin:

Now, I don't have a lathe. So I had to get creative to make the round ends of the pin. I used a plug cutting bit on my drill press. I think this would be faster and easier than a lathe anyway. This ensures that both ends are the same and I know that they are exactly 1/2" so I can use a 1/2" drill bit to drill the holes.

I finished shaping the pin (rounding over the top) with a chisel.

Finally I glued it up:

Here is the glued up body:

I ran the plane upside-down through my thickness sander to carefully flatten the sole and open the throat until it was just right:

Shaping the body:

I first rough cut the basic shape on the bandsaw:

And after a lot of hand shaping I ended up with this:

The blade:

Sorry, I didn't take photos of the blade shaping process. but I cut the blade and chip breaker shorter, shaped it on the disk sander, and sharpened it on my WorkSharp.

And HERE is the finished project:

Blake, I have always thought that making a plane would be a wonderful project to attempt. The process that you described breaks it down and removes a lot of the mystery for me. Nice job. This is a wonderful use of the Koa as well.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Building a Work Bench

I did a trade for some woodwork with a guy who had a garage full of lumber and several nice hand tools. Most of the lumber was Oak.

I don't really like working with Oak. But I thought it would be perfect for a bench, and there was enough of it. I got lots of different lengths and widths. Most of it was 3/4". I forgot to take a "before" photo of the stack but here is a sample:

Now I intend to make a nice, sturdy bench, but its going to be more functional than artful masterpiece. Just something that I can really use with hand tools. Its my first bench, and there will be others later. So I really want this to be a quick project so I can get back to work on the stuff I really want to build.

Some may call this a "hack job." Call me a butcher, but I didn't even bother ripping the strips to the same width. As long as one side is flat, thats all that matters.

I started by rolling on the glue and clamping together sections of a half-dozen or so boards:

Then I glued up two of those sections:

At this point I have two sections that are less than 8" wide. This way they will fit on my 8" jointer to get one flat side.

Here is what the top will look like (It hasn't been jointed yet)

Here is the underside (notice the uneven widths)

The ends of the tool tray:

The sections laid out and ready for final assembly:

Don't worry, that endgrain will be covered with an end piece. For less than $20 bucks I got enough 4×6 and 2×6 Doug Fir for a very sturdy base. I also have a piece of solid mahogany re-claimed from an old desk for a bottom shelf, and a huge woodworking vice I got years ago at the flea market.

My friend the glue chisel…

On a side note, I thought I would take a moment to appreciate a very under-rated tool… My glue chisel. Its the old workhorse who doesn't whine or complain about the not so glamorous tasks like scraping semi-wet glue off a workpiece, gouging out a nail, prying double-stick-taped jigs apart, or popping bark off of a log.

Everyone should have a "glue chisel" ...someone's got to do the dirty work.
That poor chisel!! It is a sad looking little tool but it will get the job done. I have one of those as well. It is the first chisel I bought and, due to my nelglect and abuse over the years, it has been consigned to a role similar to yours.

The bench is looking pretty good. Oak is a nice wood to work with and machines well. It looks good too so you not only are going to end up with a well constructed bench it will look good as well. This is going to be an interesting series to follow.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
More Bench Progress

Once I had my two larger bench sections glued up I ran them through the planer…

And chopped the ends square

I used my biscuit jointer to align the two laminated "slabs," since after this glue up it will be too big to run through my thickness planer:

Two slabs glued up:

And now glued up with the tool tray:

THE BASE

I spent $18.00 on 4×6 and 2×6 Doug Fir for the base at Home Depot:

A little shaping of the feet on the bandsaw, and oak pads added:

Mortise cut on the RAS (I do it this way because it is fast)

Leg assembly:

The assembled base (screws and glue… but the screws are well hidden)

A little preview of the whole thing together with the huge old Craftsman vice from the flea market:

By the way, the base alone is MASSIVE. It will weigh a ton with the solid oak top sitting on it.

The top will still get wide edges that wrap around all four sides. This will give the sides more surface area as well as make the top look more substantial (the base won't look so disproportionately huge.)

I haven't decided whether to stain or paint the base (maybe black?)... or leave it natural. I think something darker would look nice and de-emphasize the fact that I used construction-grade lumber.

Any thoughts?

Also, what kind of finish do I use on the oak top? Just oil?
Blake, this bench certainly is looking pretty good. It is an inspiration for me to get in the shop and get started on one of my own.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Stanley No. 62 Low Angle Jack

Stanley No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane

Some of the modern high end hand tool manufacturers have been marketing "low angle jack planes" for years now like it is something nobody has ever thought of before. I mean, I had never heard of a low angle jack before I started reading reviews on Lie Nielson and Veritas versions in Popular Woodworking Magazine.

Veritas Low Angle Jack Plane:

And of course we all know that Stanley, the most famous maker of quality hand tools has SERIOUSLY BLOWN IT in the last several decades by manufacturing nothing but crap and letting other companies pick up where they left off. It took them long enough to realize what they had missed out on, and in 2009 they finally released a line of hand planes to compete with Lie Nielson and Veritas (among others)... the nostalgically-named "Sweetheart" line.

2009 Stanley No. 62 "Sweetheart" Low Angle Jack Plane:

Well I found out about a great website called The Best Things from another LJ post (sorry, I forget who). When I was browsing this website I saw a beautiful vintage Stanley plane that I had never hear of before. The Stanley No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane.

When I saw this picture I couldn't help getting excited. What a cool plane. I mean, a low angle jack is just kind of a sexy (not to mention useful) addition to a collection of hand planes. And realizing that the original VINTAGE thing was out there, and that they were somewhat RARE… I just had to have one.

Here's where working in a used tool store comes in handy… this came in to our shop the next day:

P1010006 1

P1010005

P1010007 1

P1010008 1

Now I know it know it will be a lot of work… tons of rust and a broken tote… but I think this will be a FUN project.

Now if you don't know about Patrick's Blood and Gore, its the best resource on the internet for information about Stanley planes. Anyway, according to Patrick, the Stanley No. 62 is "one of Stanley's better planes they ever decided to manufacture."

He also notes that "the mouth often chips, especially in the area behind the cutter. You can flip over ten of these plane, and eight of them will be chipped, one will not be chipped but repaired, and the last perfect."

Well, besides the rust and cracked wood, this thing is COMPLETE and PERFECT. No chips or breaks (so I guess it's number ten.)

I've always wanted to try one of those "electrolysis bath" things that I've seen other people do on the internet. I think this would be the perfect candidate. I will also need to make a new tote and knob. I'll keep you posted on the process and I'm sure I'll have questions along the way.
Blake, this looks like a fun project. It is going to be interesting to follow the transformation on this plane.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Bench Almost Complete

More bench progress…

Here is the "tail" vice mortised into the end of the bench. You can also see how the underside of the bench looks with all the different widths I used:

P1010011

Clamping on the wider "apron" pieces front and back:

P1010006

And adding the end aprons with dowels:

P1010007

P1010008

P1010009

P1010010

As you can see I painted the 4×6 fir base black:

P1010030

I leveled the table with shims under the feet and then bolted the legs to the floor:

And then the fun part began…

P1010012

P1010014

I routed the edges of my vice jaws on the router table:

P1010018

P1010020

The vices came out really nicely. I made the tail vice so it would span across the entire width of the bench. That way I could have bench dogs along both edges of the bench for wide clamping.

P1010021

P1010023

Nearly complete… now all I have to do is add the dog holes, and a little sanding/finishing. I actually made it to the Sacramento Woodworking Show on Sunday and picked up some brass Veritas bench dogs.

P1010027

I think it looks really good with the black base.

P1010025

(See all the shavings on the floor!)

UPDATE:

Here are the links to the finished bench and cabinet in my projects:

Blake, this turned out to be a great looking bench. This is going to be a nice addition to your shop.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Stanley No. 62 Restored, Bench Finished!

Stanley No. 62

After putting the Stanley No. 62 low angle jack plane through electrolysis still had quite a bit of work to do. Here is a "before photo" as a reminder:

P1010005

In my last post WayneC commented:
I would seal the japanned area using a clear schallac. This will prevent further rust. 3 in 1 oil on the adjustment screw. On the knobs they look repairable to me. Glue and refinish. Given the value of this plane, I would keep the original knobs. I would use a good paste wax on the rest of the metal parts.

Well thats exactly what I did (Thanks Wayne). The Shellac looked great on the old Japanning. Even though it wasn't all there it re-emphasized whats left of it.

And I did decide to repair and refinish the tote and knob and they came out great. The tote was broken in two places (three pieces). So I drilled three holes up through it and drove 2 1/2" finish nails into the holes to reinforce the epoxied joints. Then I stripped the old finish off and applied thee coats of Shellac.

Anyway, here is the finished result:

DSC_6481

DSC_6482

DSC_6483

Woodworking Bench

I also finished my bench! Sorry, I didn't take any more progress photos toward the end. But since the last blog I basically just drilled the 3/4" dog holes, made vice handles, and finished the top with Danish Oil and Wax. Here is the finished project:

Now its time to put it all together and make some shavings!
Blake, this plane looks better now than it did when it was new. Great restoration job.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
First Hand-Cut Dovetails

I finally got a chance to practice hand-cutting dovetails. This is the first time I've made a cut with my new Japanese dovetail saw and use my new bench too.

I started out with a couple scrap pieces of pine:

DSC_6591

I drew the tails:

DSC_6592

First cut… didn't follow the line so well. It will take some getting used to.

DSC_6596

Here are all the cuts. Some are pretty good and some are pretty far off the line.

DSC_6600

This photo is AWESOME. Because as you can see, I did a beautiful job at chopping away my tails (instead of the waste). Notice the X's that should not be intact…

DSC_6604

Ok, take TWO…

Not even close:

DSC_6607

A lot better:

DSC_6608

Chop, Chop, Chop:

DSC_6609

Not bad for 2nd try:

DSC_6611

Cutting the pins went well. It is easier to saw straight down vertically then at an angle like the tails. Here are the pins being chopped:

DSC_6614

It did take a little chisel work to get them to fit but not too much.

And here it is (first completed hand-cut dovetails)

DSC_6617
Blake, those look pretty good to me. I have worked on dovetails a lot like I started on Sketchup- a lot of starting and stopping without producing anything that is anywhere near as good as this. This is an inspiration to "get back into the saddle" and try again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.