LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,035 Posts
So, I took a class at Woodcraft that covered Tuning Handplanes. I am now convinced that I need to do more work on my planes. I took my #5 with me to the class because it is my work horse; I found out just how badly my plane was out of true. I had enough time to complete truing up the one plane, now comes the rest of the collection.

However I do have a couple of questions for all of you LumberJocks out there:

1) Is there a reliable online source for Float Glass?

2) Where do you get your PSA backed Sand Paper in 3" - 4" rolls? (Not at my local Woodcraft, already checked)

· Registered
9,509 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Tempered 1/4" glass from your local glass supplier works just as well for a lapping plate, too. You get to choose the size that way.

You don't have to use PSA paper, I use spray adhesive and regular non-adhesive paper.

· Registered
7,008 Posts

· Registered
2,489 Posts
If you are REAL serious, Grizzly sells surface plates in sizes up to 24×36 and 3 inches thick. I use one that is 24×24 to stamp leather. I also use a smaller graniter one with PC adhesive sand paper to lap planes. I use 110 and 320 paper on it.

· Registered
126 Posts
I also have a Grizzly surface plate, and like it a lot. Mine's 12" x 18" x 3". This is the borderline size that you'd want to move around, and then not very often. It weighs around 80 pounds. A granite plate like this is probably cheaper than glass if you're near a Grizzly store and don't have to pay for shipping. If you have to ship it, then glass will probably be cheaper.

I've found it tough to get even coverage with the spray adhesive and then the sandpapaer isn't as flat as when I use PSA. The PSA is a little easier to remove too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.