LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
Hi Guys - I'm looking to clear up more space in my workbench drawers. One of the drawers currently holds my hand clamps. I was hoping to clear the drawer but looking for good ideas on small hand (6") clamp rack to hang on a wall or ceiling.

Can anyone recommend a plan or point me in the right direction.

Thanks, David

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pat, No I don't have any of the handscrew clamps, mine are the spring clamp and 'F' clamp style but something as simple as what you have highlighted may be good enough.

Cheers

David

· Registered
1,209 Posts

rod is 1/2" conduit (I prefer that over wood dowels due to stiffness (and cost!). wood is 1×6. the vertical slats are due solely to my interior walls where I have to fir out to get over the ribbed steel. I brought the stretchers out so I could cut a 1/4" groove at the rear to hold the smaller clamps.

· Premium Member
20,131 Posts
How about stringing a line or wire and just setting them over it. If the F clamps are nearly closed they won't fall off. I do this occasionally. Keeps them handy and out of the way.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
topamax…your solution will work but not very pretty! I didn't measure the dimensions on mine (built in my head as are 99.9% of the things I do as I design around scraps like a true German will).

I did run a dado on the back board to accept the stetchers (glued and screwed)...other than that, it is pretty simple in design and it allows for expansion. The 1/2" conduit I have is probably 24" long and works for what I have. I would not be worried about taking that to 60" if I needed to. The conduit is rigid and cheap (10' section maybe $3???). The slices in the back receive a strip of 1/4" plywood that could be expanded as well. For what I hang on there, weight is not a problem.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
I just took some 3/4 pipe about 18" long and use a pipe flange and screwed it into the wall to hang mine. Easy and if they need to be moved elsewhere later it is quick to do so.

· Premium Member
20,131 Posts
Maybe not pretty, but sure is handy ;-)) pull the line tight and they are up out of the way. A little slack and they are all right there where you need them.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Teejk, Pat, Cplsteel, ChrisK, Bob, Gshepard, Grandpa, Tenontim - Thanks fellahs for taking the time to offer your ideas.

I was having a think about it overnight (as you do) I have limited walll space, due to existing and futre plans for the walls. However I have the side of my bench/outfeed table free and not gainfully employed. The gap between the side of the bench and the back of my tS is about 14". In my world that is a lot. I had planned to hang my cross cut sled in there. It being underneath the bench and behind the saw I was going to install a couple of drawer slides, screw a sheet of ply to ithem so that it is now a kind of vertical drawer bottom, then hang/fix the cross cut sled to that. That way all I need to do is slide it in and out of the way when required.

While thinking about this I was wondering about using the back of the board that the sled will ride on. If I add a couple of 2×4 braces then mount the runners on those that should give me 4" or so from the side of the bench to the back of the sled drawer baase ( I hope I'm making sense of this)

The only other place to hang them is above my bench or TS, neither of which appeals to me. I have the feeling they are likely to fall off and clump me on the nut, or worse onto my TS.

I have about a dozen or so of this size clamp so I may be able to get them all on there. The ones I can't find space for may have to find a new home

Thanks for the input fellahs, some great ideas there.

Cheers

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.