LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The materials, site, and thoughts

I've been building a fence here at the house I'm renting (see blog). I ended up getting 2 sections out of one board as opposed to the 1 section I originally thought so I figured I'd use some of the material for a couple of projects. The first one is this bench, the second will be a carved screen door. This project is going to be a little tricky because I don't really have "fresh" materials, nor do I have the thickness's I would buy if this was going to be a project I wasn't just throwing out there. In this case I am using material that has nail holes, it's torn up, etc. Well basically it's fence material. LOL. So there will be a lot of jointing, planing, and figuring. I'm sure there will be plenty of waist as well, but we will see.
To stat this off we have the materials. In the next sections I will show more of the process as I am starting the build as soon as I hit "post" to this blog.

The leg material. This is the fall off from the 2×4s used on the fence. My goal is to run one face through the jointer and then glue 2 together per leg. Then once the glue dries I will run 2 faces through the jointer and then plane to thickness. Because the material will turn Grey I'm not concerned with the grain patterns matching, etc. Hopefully it won't delaminate in the future.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I have glued up the back rest into one plank.
Photobucket

Here is the material I will dig through to find the arm rests, seat slats, aprons, etc. This is also the material for the gate, and the other fence sections. What are the chances I won't have to buy more? LOL
Photobucket
Photobucket

And this is going to be the new location for this bench.
Photobucket

I hope you all enjoy this series, and I will do my best to be as descriptive as I can. As always I welcome constructive criticism, positive or negative.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

I've been building a fence here at the house I'm renting (see blog). I ended up getting 2 sections out of one board as opposed to the 1 section I originally thought so I figured I'd use some of the material for a couple of projects. The first one is this bench, the second will be a carved screen door. This project is going to be a little tricky because I don't really have "fresh" materials, nor do I have the thickness's I would buy if this was going to be a project I wasn't just throwing out there. In this case I am using material that has nail holes, it's torn up, etc. Well basically it's fence material. LOL. So there will be a lot of jointing, planing, and figuring. I'm sure there will be plenty of waist as well, but we will see.
To stat this off we have the materials. In the next sections I will show more of the process as I am starting the build as soon as I hit "post" to this blog.

The leg material. This is the fall off from the 2×4s used on the fence. My goal is to run one face through the jointer and then glue 2 together per leg. Then once the glue dries I will run 2 faces through the jointer and then plane to thickness. Because the material will turn Grey I'm not concerned with the grain patterns matching, etc. Hopefully it won't delaminate in the future.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is the material I will dig through to find the arm rests, seat slats, aprons, etc. This is also the material for the gate, and the other fence sections. What are the chances I won't have to buy more? LOL
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope you all enjoy this series, and I will do my best to be as descriptive as I can. As always I welcome constructive criticism, positive or negative.
We'll be keeping an eye on this project.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

me too Keith … I'm your buddy ya know !

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

This will be interesting to watch and a good test of your skills

Andy

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Definitely interesting.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Ive' seen the result. Great job Keith.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some progress and an introduction

Well the bench is coming along about as slow as possible. Working full time now doesn't leave much of a window for me to be out there carving. And with some commissioned jobs coming up it will be worse soon. So I've been sort of rushing the carving while I'm out there and have to say that I feel somewhat bad, as I am trying to blog how to carve as well. So the tutorial will still happen, but it may not be up par (if they ever are).
Right now I want to say that I've recruited some special help. I've been working with my girlfriend over the past year helping her learn how to carve. I'm not that great of a teacher when the student seems to be a natural. I always wait for a question and the next thing I know the carving is done. She's definitely a talented self starter and I'm happy to have recruited her to work with me on this bench. And, it gives us our time together while being productive.
Here is her latest carving.
Photobucket
Photobucket
She isn't just helping with the carving though. I gave her control of the design of the carving she's doing. This is what she came up with.
Photobucket
The legs are about 2 1/4 square. I will show her progress as I continue the blog.

Here is the progress of the carving I am working on. This is the back rest, and will be the carving I write the tutorial on. I am mainly working on the beard and leaves, and will probably do the eyes last. So the one on the left is just to get some of the leaves carved around it, and I wanted to see how I will proceed with it.
As always I welcome constructive criticism, positive or negative.

Photobucket

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

Well the bench is coming along about as slow as possible. Working full time now doesn't leave much of a window for me to be out there carving. And with some commissioned jobs coming up it will be worse soon. So I've been sort of rushing the carving while I'm out there and have to say that I feel somewhat bad, as I am trying to blog how to carve as well. So the tutorial will still happen, but it may not be up par (if they ever are).
Right now I want to say that I've recruited some special help. I've been working with my girlfriend over the past year helping her learn how to carve. I'm not that great of a teacher when the student seems to be a natural. I always wait for a question and the next thing I know the carving is done. She's definitely a talented self starter and I'm happy to have recruited her to work with me on this bench. And, it gives us our time together while being productive.
Photobucket
Photobucket
She isn't just helping with the carving though. I gave her control of the design of the carving she's doing. This is what she came up with.
Photobucket
The legs are about 2 1/4 square. I will show her progress as I continue the blog.

Here is the progress of the carving I am working on. This is the back rest, and will be the carving I write the tutorial on. I am mainly working on the beard and leaves, and will probably do the eyes last. So the one on the left is just to get some of the leaves carved around it, and I wanted to see how I will proceed with it.

Photobucket
Nice job Keith. Your girl friend is carving great.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
WOW, fantastic! That's going to be great. Good teamwork….............

·
Registered
7,426 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Fan - bloody - tastic Mate.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Very impressive work. Okay, I'll say it again, very impressive.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Sometimes the student only needs the lightest touch from the master in order to guide them in the correct direction with out changing the natural course (and greatness) of the talent. I find that many teachers are to informative and do not let the student "find" for themselves the true path. The best learning is done on your own with the slightest of guidance from the master. You may be a much better teacher than you realize. Good luck and thanks for sharing your talent with others.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
your ( both ) work is exquisite !
do we get to meet her ?
she can allready out carve all of us .
together you make a formidable team .

·
Registered
115 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
dang your pretty good. great back

·
Registered
26,886 Posts

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Great to hear you are back in employment Keith. One down side is you have less time on your hands.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
more progress

Well ladies and gents here are some more progress pics. I think this may be the end for awhile. I need to start a new job and it will be taking up all my free time. So this project will be on the backburner unfortunately. Anyhow, the back rest is carved, as well as one leg. We still need to do some sanding and such, and I need to make tool marks on the left and right sides of the back rest. But I don't want to do that until I run the tenons. Just so everyone know, redwood is not super fun to carve. LOL. In fact it is very unforgiving, splinters easily, and is soft. So it makes it difficult to keep the tips of the beard and things.

As always I welcome constructive criticism positive or negative.

http://w335.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/kolwdwrkr/9379c8da.pbw

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
more progress

Well ladies and gents here are some more progress pics. I think this may be the end for awhile. I need to start a new job and it will be taking up all my free time. So this project will be on the backburner unfortunately. Anyhow, the back rest is carved, as well as one leg. We still need to do some sanding and such, and I need to make tool marks on the left and right sides of the back rest. But I don't want to do that until I run the tenons. Just so everyone know, redwood is not super fun to carve. LOL. In fact it is very unforgiving, splinters easily, and is soft. So it makes it difficult to keep the tips of the beard and things.

http://w335.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/kolwdwrkr/9379c8da.pbw
Woo Ma Ma way cool

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
more progress

congrats on the new job …. where you going to work ?

Great skills on the carving Keith

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
more progress

Where you workin?
Tell your new boss we're depending on you posting regularly, so some allowances have to be made…..lol
Good luck & super nice work on this piece as always

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
more progress

I wish I had the artistic ability for that. Nice as always Keith

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.