LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm making a glider bench. The plans call for some half-lap joints. The best way to make them would probably be a dado blade on the TS. I did this once and I don't like it. I'm a chicken. So I was cutting them using a router table. Worked okay but pretty slow. Lots of small passes.

I thought I'd take some of the waste out with the band saw first then finish it on the router table. Well the BS cut it so well that I made the rest using it alone. It cut perfectly and I felt very safe doing it. I like this BS more and more every day.

BJ

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
If you are not comfortable with a tool or process don't do it .
Cutting with a band saw is a good way to do it but I would do a test glue joint to see how well it glues to make sure because the surface may not be suiteble for a glue joint and may need further work ..

Klaus

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
When I did the big half-lap joint on my coat tree project, I used the Bandsaw. After I used that, I cleaned up and pared to the line with a chisel. I think you're on the right track, but may want to clean up the joint before gluing, depending on the surface left behind.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you can cut half lap on the bandsaw and go right to glue you are in business! But I would probably cut the joint shallow and creep up on the fit with a plane, block or shoulder, then finished the shoulder with a chisel to make it nice. I would do this coming off the TS or a router as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.