LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
So, I haven't posted in a little while but I still visit every day and read up on a lot of things. I'm still very new to everything, and have had some changes with work and whatnot, so haven't had a whole lot of time lately. However, my life is about to be simplified a bit (thank goodness), so I am ready to take on some projects soon, or at least look into plans.

I am getting some cedar milled up next week (from trees 14-18"), some into live edge for my cedar coffee table(s) and I think I want some milled up into dimensional lumber to make myself a cedar gun cabinet. I figure its time to create a good place to store them all.

So, does anyone have a free plan or know of any members who have done such a thing? I want to keep that rustic cedar look as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, yea that's definitely my style. I really like everything he does. Is he from our area?

Also, when the time comes, I will need help with the glass. I haven't a clue how to lay glass into grooves like that. Or rather I should say, I don't know how to make the grooves.

·
Premium Member
21,689 Posts
Not exactly, Monte lives in South Dakota.
Typically you don't want to put glass into a groove, but rather a rabbet where the glass is laid in there and then a piece or retainer clips are put in behind the glass to hold it in. This is in case the glass breaks and needs to be replaced. Think of an old wooden window.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok gotcha. I think I can envision that. I guess I don't really need a plan per se, but it might help guide me. Can you tell what dimensions his main carcass is made of? Iwas thinking 1×6's or 8's.

·
Premium Member
21,689 Posts
The back is definitely 1×8 or so. The sides it's hard to tell. He mills all of his own lumber and a lot of it is very wide, but I would say the sides are 1×12's and he says it is 24" deep. I can ask him or direct him here.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If you mean edge joining to make a panel, nothing but a good straight jointing pass. Some like the middle hollowed out a few thousandths to pull the ends together. Biscuits or dowels add nothing for panels.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Going to the mill tomorrow with these and another one that is thicker. I think I will live edge them all, two of the logs 4/4 and one of them 8/4. Then, resaw them later. The thicker one is going to be for coffee table(s).

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Make sure the cabinet is tall enough…
I built one and my model 12 shotgun was too long. I ended up drilling a hole in the top of the cabinet.
You couldn't see the barrel sticking out when looking at it though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Missouri-
It was 4' tall the shot gun is about 3 or 4 inches taller…
Overall height was about 5' with drawers on the bottom…
I gave it away as I came up with a different system.
I'll track down a photo…

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.