LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a grizzly 6" jointer that I bought used. I sharpened the knives and am trying to reset them using a dial caliper the check depth. I didn't get the knife setting gauge with it and because I bought it some time ago I haven't tried to contact the owner as he has moved. I have ordered the knife setting gauge from Grizzly but it probably won't be here for a week, in the mean time I would like to use it. It seems as you adjust the knife on one side it changes the other side, and I haven't reached a place where I am satisified.

How much variation is acceptable from knife to knife? Does anyone have a method they use without a gauge that works?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Variation between knives? I try for less than .001" but am not always that successful. I set them now with a jig I bought that uses magnets to hold the knives while I tighten the set screws. Does your jointer have the set screws below the knives or springs?
I used to use a straight edge or a jointed board and set it by "feel".
Make sure to check that the tables are co-planer before final setting of the knives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My jointer has springs below the knives. I find after I tighten the gib bolts I lose my settings (the knives raise up). What I decided to do was to use a piece of glass on the out feed table and set the knives and tighten the gib bolts then check with a straight edge to see if the knives are even or above the table. If they are I start putting tape on the bottom of the glass and do it again, and again until the knives are even with the table. When it was done I ran a couple of boards through and it turned out very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.