LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, looking at buying my first jointer and have been searching craigslist daily for one. A "late 90s" G1018 popped up, looks like it's in good shape. Is it worth $450? I've read reviews on it and understand grizzly makes a pretty good product for the hobbyist. I don't really know resale value of something like this though. Keep in mind I'd be driving a little over 2 hours each way to pick it up. Please check out the link and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance - Dan.

http://scranton.craigslist.org/tls/4827305133.html

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
That strikes me as a pretty good deal, that jointer will likely serve you well for a lifetime. A friend of mine has that model, and he upgraded it to a spiral head (the Grizzly version, I think). He (and I) was wondering if the 1.5 HP motor would be up to it, and it works like a champ. I'm thinking he may have overestimated the weight a little, my 8" Jet is closer to 400#, but you still need help to move it. One other thing, it has levers instead of handwheels. I prefer the handwheels, but in truth I change the setting on my jointer so seldom that to me it wouldn't really make much difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.