LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello All,

I ran my new G0654 6" x 46" Jointer for the first time today. It is the first Jointer I have ever owned. I was wondering what it should sound like? Mine does not "hum" it sounds "rough" nothing is hitting. The blades turn. The rear guard rattles. I took it off and ran again, still just a bit "raw" sounding. Has anyone seen or can some one post a start up test for this unit? Hope that is not too much to ask. The directions keep saying "if strange sound STOP." I just do not know what qualifies as strange?

Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
Trust your instincts. Try running just the motor with the belt off then try just spinning the cutter head by the pulley with the belt off. Check the motor mount and the cutter head bearing housings. I'm betting there's a problem you can isolate.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm in the process right now of setting up a new G0490 jointer, and I've had to track down some noises myself.

1. The belt needs to be really tight. The weight of the motor alone isn't nearly enough to get proper tension. I had to use a 2×4 as a lever to get it tight (and by "tight" I mean to the spec indicated in the manual). I found that if it isn't tight enough, it flutters and slaps the motor mount.

2. Make doubly sure your pulleys are aligned, after tightening the belt. Use a straightedge as much as practical.

3. On mine, there are 2 setscrews on the motor pulley, one that bears on the shaft, and one on the key. Both were loose, and both needed some Loctite to keep them from backing out.

4. Make sure the machine is set so the belt is centered in the opening where it comes through the top of the stand.

Even after all that, mine still isn't super quiet, and I think maybe it's just the sheet metal of the stand vibrating, and there's nothing I can do about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.