LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
What is the math formula for spacing out a grid evenly between frames….

I have a frame that is 58.5 inches wide(bed frame) and I want to lay 6 boards evenly between the sides…I am missing the formula…

I have tried subtracting the width of the boards(6x.75)from the overall width..but that doesnt work. Then I tried adding it and that REALLY didnt work…

anyone know how to do this? hehe

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
close dave….the boards are on edge…so they are .75 inches wide…but there are 6 boards…doh…on center…shoot…i was doing it by edges…grrrr…

ok so by your fomula it should be (58.5-(6x.75))/5

right? I tried a couple different things in sketchup…which is where Im doing my work..but i couldnt get it…its monday…should be programming…bleh.

·
Registered
460 Posts
no from the inside edges of the outer boards or I could go on center…I just want the inside boards to be spaced evenly…

also, using your formula is there a way to get the number of boards needed if you want them x amount of space apart? My math has always been horrible…

center to center of the outer boards is 59.25

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes dave Bentlys drawing shows what I was inferiorly trying to explain :)

I was hoping to do it in a way though that I could lay out guidelines…but that way works…

·
Registered
460 Posts
dont feed me fish…teach me to fish…hehe…how did you figure it out? I think it would be easier to do it from on center though so I could lay out my guidelines or just move a copy x inches from the previous…right?

so the 2 outside boards are 59.25 on center with 6 more boards in between for a total of 8 boards.

(59.25-(8x.75)/9 or would it be (59.25-(8x.75)/7 because there are really only 7 spaces…

·
Registered
460 Posts
yea…there are 8 boards total…the 2 for the frame with 6 members spaced evenly inbetween them The external 2 member may or may not be the same width as the internal members…

forgot i had a picasaweb account…picture….yay….

·
Premium Member
25,673 Posts
REmeber how easy it was to do this stuff before calculators and computers :)) Just pull a slide rule out of our pocket and have the answer right away!!

·
Premium Member
25,673 Posts
I doubt if anyone can use one anymore! I have forgotten the log scales and trig, it isn't any good for measuring :))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.