thats an impressive list tung,im tiered just reading it-lol.Final Wrap Up
Here are the project totals, for those that are interested.
Board feet of Sapele used: 315
4' x 8' sheets of 3/4" baltic birch plywood: 2
Number of chair parts fabricated: 285
Number of mortises: 720
Number of floating tenons: 360
Number of square ebony plugs: 405
Number of ebony splines: 120
Quarts of finish used: 10
Hours to complete: 596
What worked well?
I spent about 40 hours drawing templates in AutoCAD to be cut by CNC at the start of the project. I made some minor adjustments to replace dominos with the the standard mortise sizes available with the Leigh FMT. This was time well spent as it made the fabrication go very smoothly.
The Leigh FMT jig again proved worthwhile. This is a well made tool and makes beautiful, precise mortises. With 720 total mortises on this project, I gave it a good workout.
Carefully planning and thinking through the steps of construction and assembly for these chairs was key to making sure they came together successfully.
I broke a few of the smaller 3/16" loose tenons while dry assembling and disassembling the chairs. Using a 1/8" chisel I was able to extract the broken tenon pieces without damaging the mortises.
The biggest mistake was when a dry assembled chair disassembled itself and the back assembly fell over, breaking the top of the center back splat.
Luckily it was a clean break and no wood was lost. I squeezed some glue into the break, put wax paper on either side and clamped the splat between clamp blocks.
After it dried I cleaned up the repair with a scraper and it was nearly impossible to see.
Overall this was a fun and challenging project and I'm glad I took it on. A special thanks to Bob Lang for teaching the class and providing advice, and to Darrell Peart for the design that these chairs are based on.
31.1 KB Views: 2
35.8 KB Views: 1
34.9 KB Views: 1
35.3 KB Views: 1