LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beginning

Given my recent success with my carving projects. Granted they are simple and beginner level which fits me at this point. However, I have decided to up the ante and create a whole new set of challenges for my self.

The photo below represents about six hours worth of work in layout, rough out and finally picking up a gouge. The piece is about 6 3/4" by about 8 1/2". It is being made from a piece of 2×12 SPF that used to be a leveling block under our TV set in our old house.

Either I am really cheap or I just like trying to make a use for ever piece of wood I have. I guess it is both.

I am using the new chisels I just got for this project. The MIKISYO Power Grip. This may lend to a product review down the road.

The trial and error learning curve continues.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The beginning

Given my recent success with my carving projects. Granted they are simple and beginner level which fits me at this point. However, I have decided to up the ante and create a whole new set of challenges for my self.

The photo below represents about six hours worth of work in layout, rough out and finally picking up a gouge. The piece is about 6 3/4" by about 8 1/2". It is being made from a piece of 2×12 SPF that used to be a leveling block under our TV set in our old house.

Either I am really cheap or I just like trying to make a use for ever piece of wood I have. I guess it is both.

I am using the new chisels I just got for this project. The MIKISYO Power Grip. This may lend to a product review down the road.

Enjoy!

Go slow there is no rush, I am always amazed at how long everything takes. I now plan 3x mroe than I think any job will take to cover my own expectations <laugh>

Did you draw the face and leaves by hand (from scratch)?

Post more pics as you go.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
The beginning

Enjoy!

I'm impressed … quite the challenge you are giving yourself but it looks like you are definitely up to the challenge. cool.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The beginning

Enjoy!

It looks to me like you're having fun. I seem to remember carving the"Acanthus Man" in leather back about"76. I put him on a pocket watch carrier for a hippy friend of mine. My guy had a beard and moustache, well, they both did. LOL!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beginning

Enjoy!

Snowdog, as far as I know it is a Chris Pye design from "Wood Spirits and Green Men".

Thos. I carved a lot of leather with "Acanthus" style patterns to them. Way back when. I would love to start carving leather again but my financial adviser (wife), kinda has the kabosh on that program right now. LOL.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
The beginning

Enjoy!

That's one hing about carving, you won't be throwing away any wood scraps anymore. LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Here is an up date on my Green Man. I am not sure exactly how many hours are involved at this point I think around 18 and I still have a long way to go. Not exactly knowing what I am doing is aiding the slowness. This is a huge learning experience for me.

One shaving at a time.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Update

Here is an up date on my Green Man. I am not sure exactly how many hours are involved at this point I think around 18 and I still have a long way to go. Not exactly knowing what I am doing is aiding the slowness. This is a huge learning experience for me.

One shaving at a time.

I have not carved may things but they all take a lot longer than you would expect. I started an little wooden icicle yesterday. It take more time to care than to build a new garage <laugh> I think bigger is better. Take your time and enjoy the process. Do you have a set of gouges to work with?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

It look great. learn and do force the work

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

Hey Buck, I remember that guy. I carved him on leather in the '70's. It looks to me like you're getting it figured out. It really doesn't matter how long the first one takes. When Loren Wood owned Hamley's, we were talking about saddle makers one day. He made a really profound statment," One thing's fer sure, if you can't build a good one slow, you sure as hell can't build a good one fast."!!!!! Go slow and build a good one then you can build a good one fast.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

Hi Buck.
I think your doing a great job. Don't let the time taken on a carving bother you, the main thing is the results, & satisfaction your getting, just doing it. Whenever your doing something the first time, it always takes longer.
If you watch someone who does a lot of repetitive carvings, they're always faster.
I think my carvings take longer, because I hardly ever carve the same thing twice. It's more fun, & challenging to try something different.
I carved a Green man, but mine is called a tree troll
The plan is from a book by Harold Enlow, Driftwood carving If your in a bookstore check it out, I did some of my first carvings from this book.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

Looking good. If I don't learn something on almost every project I feel like I've somehow cheated myself. Taking the time to do a good job is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

Well done.Carve on.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

Hey Buck, Your carving is looking good! Chris pye has a web site with a section on the Green Man also these are a few books about the Greem Man.

Green Man William Anderson and Clive Hicks (Photographer)

The Green Man Kathleen Basford

A Little Book of the Green Man Mike Harding

The Green Man: a Field Guide Clive Hicks

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Update

One shaving at a time.

I'm impressed!! Great job.

remember that it's all about the journey, not the destination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.