LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Green and yellow tractor - making wheels( Rear)

Wood Circle Composite material Art Adhesive

These are after glue up of the front and rear tires. This is about the rear tires only. Each tire has 2 halves with 2 layers in each half. The first ones I made I used a spline in one layer for strength. I later determined the spline is not needed. Butt glue the 6 pieces and use a strap clamp. I made a pattern13 1/2 in in diameter outside11 1/2 in inside that a attached with screws to the glue up and used a straight bit to form the base part. I cut a lot of the excess off first with a band saw. The second layer of pieces is face glued on staggered joints. After glue up cut away the excess with a saw then use the router with a copy bit. Next with a 1/4 1i spline bit you cut a 1/8th in groove on one side to take the center part of the wheel. This center piece is made from 1/8th baltic birch plywood.. With this center drilled and attached to the blank I use my router with another jig to cut the rim. After the straight bit I used a 5/16th roundover and a 60 degree bit to make the rim. Then I go to the jig on the table saw to make the 20 slots on each piece for the treads.
Dishware Automotive tire Tableware Wood Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Wood Circle Automotive wheel system Wheel

The slots in the rim are cut in with a 1/4 pattern bit. The hub center is glued in place(front and back) then with a different patten and 1/4 in patern bit I cut the detail on the hub
Wood Rim Fixture Circle Metal

Wood Gas Circle Plywood Hardwood

The rounded part of the tire is cut with a 3/4 in roundover bit. Now you are ready to cut tread slots 7/8th in deep 3/8 in wide. After the slots are all cut and the two halves are glued togeather the slotts and detail holes in the steel rim part are installed. The slots are cut at a 45 degree angle.
Wood Engineering Machine tool Gas Machine

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Flooring Lumber

Wood Composite material Tool Engineering Gas

I cover the tread part of the tire to paint the rim first6 to 10 coats sand and steel wool(3M) on each coat. The tread s are hand painted flat black(2 coats) and 3 coats of clear coat. Lots of work I have typed enough for tonight. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,509 Posts
damn the wheel construction alone impresses me !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
With this scale you can make a lot of detail, Well done.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts