LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I said "Pass" in Forum Topic the other day about one of us trying to figure out if he should buy a Unisaw that was in multiple pieces for a pretty steep price.

This is why I said PASS:

Here is a link to a School District auction (they are swapping out for SawStops…... at different months and different years…. and these are usually great machines. This one is a 3 phase, which is a bummer for a lot of us, but, at least half or more of the Unisaws are 220/240 single phase. But check out the condition of this saw……....because it is typical, (actually a little rougher) than normal).

They usually all just put Condition: UNKNOWN, but that is just to protect their butts. Occasionally they will list a piece as GOOD or NIB or PARTS ONLY.

Some equipment is from the student workshops and some equipment is from the school shop where the maintenance guys work. I haven't decided yet if the students or the maintenance guys take better care of their equipment and which is best when they put stuff up for sale. I tend to lean towards to the student shop stuff. A student using a table saw is usually watched like a hawk.

This saw auction currently has 3 more hours to run and is now at $360.00. I follow this site and this one has the usual gang of guys trying to steal a machine. I strongly doubt this will sell for much more than $400. It is loaded with all the gizmos. There will be a flurry of $5-$10 increased bids just before the auction closes, but these Unisaws usually go for $400-$450.

This Auction this week is way loaded with good stuff.

If someone wants a deal this is a good place to go. It is very sporadic. Sometimes a lot for sale and then months with nothing. If you sign up you can be emailed when something you are interested in goes up for auction near you. This is a national auction site.

And yes, they allow, even encourage potential bidders to go down and run/check out the equipment prior to the auction ending, so you can check the stuff out yourself prior to bidding.

For something important like this, I know there are several of us that would go check the machine out if you were a ways away. This saw is in Salt Lake City.

This is a particularly "great" auction day. Most are just a couple of items of interest…. at least for me……each week.

This one has LOTS of goodies.

Saw:

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1222037

Other Pretty Good Stuff:

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,ut/browse/cataucs?slth=&catid=6&page=0&sortBy=timeLeft

Plug in your State and see what is up for sale near you. Might be surprised.

Best, Bruce

·
Registered
822 Posts
Great read thanks Bruce!
I forgot about this until you just posted it. It sure would be nice to have a big boy saw like that. But I am happy with what I have until I replace it someday.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I'm regestered with and have been using that site for a couple of years.. and in that time, I've never really ever seen a decent machine go for anywhere near a 'you suck' price, or even what I would consider a great deal. Yes, you can get some fairly good stuff at a reasonable price if you are persistant, but I've had much better luck and found significantly better prices elsewhere (like CL, garage sales, local '4-sale' sites, etc..). Just saying.

Cheers,
Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.