LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
I had a little glue spill today …... on my workbench top. Back in my epoxy days this would have been a major catastrophe if it had been mixed up and worse if it wasn't, and expensive too. Even with pva glue it would have been a messy cleanup with an unlikely material recovery prognosis.

...but with HHG, I just waited for it to cool and gel, then scraped it up off the bench with a cabinet scraper (without scraping the bench itself) and put it back in the pot. Any stray wood chips will float to the top and can easily be removed later.

On the right, the untouched part of the puddle and on the left the scraped up gel. A quick wash with warm water and it's all done. ... No muss, no fuss. Did I mention I love this stuff?

Wood Insect Beige Flooring Floor

Wood Hardwood Pattern Wood stain Flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
oh, you did have a spill, sure am glad this was an easy save…im really happy i have a plywood assembly table, i dont have to worry about my shakey arms or hands…which i have sometimes…but i digress, glad you had an easy spill, so beyond the spilled glue….i wonder what is taking place beyond the cameras view….i'm stretching my neck….:)

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I still need to fire up that glue pot that I scored and try some out for myself. Likely will be incorporated into my next veneer project.

I think I've got an idea of what he's working on, but only because we talked in person for a good hour at the wooden boat show in Port Townsend this year.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
oh i know its not a secret…im just talking right up to the moment details…my arms and hands might shake a bit, but my memory is still ok…as in i know your blogging this….:)....what i cant remember is when do you head for arizona…is Friendship out of the water yet…

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
I don't need convincing Paul as it is all I use now. I just had to get used to pulling my glue out of the fridge on my way out to the shop. I also like that the glue brushes don't have to be cleaned, just remelted in the pot. It's also no problem when you get the stuff onto your clothes as it washes right out. I have 4 1 kilo bags ff the dry stuff and with my current rate of use I will be long gone before I even finish the first bag.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I confess to being a convert myself. Paul being first to chide me to use the glue and pot that had been sitting on my shelf for two years unused. Then Patrick Edwards during my stint in San Diego. So I came back and fired it up! I'm sure I'll still use TiteBond for some things that don't matter much, but for my future period furniture and probably boxes as well, it will be hide glue (either hot, or Old Brown Glue). There are many advantages, for many kinds of projects.

I would add my voice to encouragement to give it a try. I get mine from Patrick Edwards at www.oldbrownglue.com.

Roger

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Great stuff and easy cleanup if I could just remember to take it to the shop daily and have it ready to use when I need it ,I guess it will take time to get into the habit .

Klaus

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh yes Roger, but my wagon vice comes apart in seconds for cleanup (which I did).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.