Porter-Cable - PCB420SA 4" Belt 8" Disc Sander (Rating: 4)

This is my first review so please bear with me. I'll try to keep it straight and to the point. I purchased this sander about 3 months ago and to this point, I must say that I am quite impressed. This is a well built, solid machine with plenty of power for what I use it for. I use the 4" x 36" belt mostly for shaping handles for my boxes and the 8" disc mostly for rounding the corners on the boxes and lids. The 5 amp, 3/4hp, 3450 rpm motor has easily handled these tasks and a few others I have thrown at it.

The sander weighs in at just over 50lbs. and is well balanced with almost no vibration. It comes with two aluminum work tables so there is no need for moving one back and forth from the disc to the belt and having to reset, and they're held securely in place with the table lock handles. Also included is the cheesy little miter gauge which does happen to work as it should, but is definitely light duty.

The sander is equipped with a quick release tension lever which makes quick work of changing the belt. The belt alignment knob works exactly as it should and once I set it, it stays. There have been no problems with keeping the belt tracking properly.

The dust collection leaves a bit to be desired, especially when using the included dust bag. It works much better, but not super, when I attach the shop vac to the 2 ½" outlet. All in all, I am quite impressed with this sander. It's exactly what I needed for my shop. When I purchased mine, it was selling for $179. I had a few issues with the "Big Box" store, so it was offered to me for $50 (but that's another story). I believe now it is going for $199. Either price in my opinion is worth it. I for one have been a bit more leery of PC since being acquired by Black and Decker. However, I feel confident that this is not a "disposable" sander and should last for quite some time.