LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
ok,, can you please tell me,,i have did a goblet and it looks fine,,but tonight when I tried to hollow it out there was a difference in the inside diamenter ,,what am I doing wrong,,it was thick on one side and narrow on the other,,and I just kept rechecking it thinking that might be my problem,,,but no luck,,,can anyone help,,

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
+1 for Jerry's comment, plus if you bought it from a local hardwood store, I've seen more than one of those that only air dries, and for dubious times.
You might not only be shrinking on one side, you might be expanding on the other as it regains moisture.
In other words, check your moisture if you have a meter. You might be surprised…

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can get one Amazon, Rockler, woodcraft. HF has them, but not very good. Price will depend on accuracy. Around 8% is a good number. Normall you would turn to rough leaving about 2x thickness of finished, set aside in paper bag, check moisture, then finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.