LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have an upcoming project which involves gluing soft maple. I have done some research and it has been noted this is a difficult wood when it comes to gluing, but no info as to why, and how to get around the supposed problem(s). Suggestions and info from folks experienced with this subject would be a great blessing!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I've never had problems with gluing any maple.
Just googled gluing maple. some people are having problems, but the problems they are having are problems most other hardwoods have improper surface prep. surfaces burned or burnished. Just need to sand surfaces lightly before gluing, apply proper amount of glue and don't clamp so hard the joint starves for glue.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I can't even really fathom the amount of both soft and hard maple that's been glued up in our shop over the last 23?years….probably close to a half million board feet, give or take? Never had an issue before, with any type of glue either. No special surface prep needed, including sanding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! The caution was from a wood reference book, "Wood identification and use" by Terry Porter. No explanation was given as to why it would be problematic to glue, that's why I asked here. I have lots to learn yet and find research helpful.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you have punky or spalted maple, which is really soft, it can be problematic as the fibers don't have enough structural strength to resist a lot of pulling forces. Other than that, maple is one of the nicest woods to work, including gluing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
...Other than that, maple is one of the nicest woods to work….

- Ripthorn
While I agree with the rest and I've never noticed any problems with gluing soft maple, I must say I don't agree that maple is one of the nicest woods to work. The grain in maple drives me nuts. It tends to go every which way. For so many boards, there is no right direction to feed the board through the jointer or planer without it chipping out. Plus, the irregular grain plays havoc when finishing sometimes. Give me ash or walnut any day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.