LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just wondering . . .

Does a glue joint strength maintain its strength forever or will the joint weaken over time?
Will a glue joint that is stronger than the wood still be as strong in 25, 50, 100 years?
I've heard some "opinions" on this. Does any one really know how long a glue joint will last?

pete

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
With the quality of glues like titebond today and the project properly protected from excessive elements, it will last as long as the wood. We have very old antiques to verify this and their glues weren't nearly as advanced.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I'm not a chemist and I do not understand how glue works. However, I have read that glue causes something like a chemical bond that is very strong. I think of glue as being, effectively, a permanent bond IF the gluing was done properly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my first work bench, I used glue on various joints, but didn't remember having used glue. 20+ years later I tried to dis-assemble to move. The wood splintered when I tried to pry/hammer apart, the glue joint held.

·
Registered
51,858 Posts
I agree with everyone. If the glue is applied properly it should outlast the wood. I have antiques too that are over 100 years old and they are tight in all the joints. And the glue they used then wasnt nearly as hi-tech as the stuff we use today.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
All I can do here is quote Chris Schwarz. He states that, with time, all glues will fail. As for me I agree with Topamax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.