LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife said that I will not be able to get anything done until I get my head out of the computer and decide on a new table saw. I have been studing what seems nonstop for about a week now. I am retiring my Grandfather's 30+ year old Craftsman Contractor saw and looking for both cost effective and capable. I have used the craftsman for about 6 years for various projects but nothing too complex. I will not use the new too much, but when I do use it I want my saw to be able to make precise cuts.

I am looking at the following, but would be open to other recommendations. Also, any advice on retailers would be great as well

Delta 36-717

Jet Pro Shop

Steel City 35900

Thanks in advance for all you input, (my wife thanks you too).

Brian

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
From what I have read, no actual experience, the Grizz has been a good saw. The only hold up would be if you are in Canada. If stateside no problem. Another option would to also look at Craigslist for a good used saw. They are a dime a dozen right now and good deals are always out there if you can be patient. I personally picked up a unisaw for FREE, gut it did need a complete restoration. Total cost of $500 after all said and done. If you want new I would really look at Grizzly though. I would stay away from Crapsman, Steel City or any of the other "zip code" saws.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have heard the same about the Grizz as well. I also would second the recomendation on looking for a second hand saw. I was able to get a 3hp 1972 delta unisaw for a song. The person I bought it from delivered it right to my garage!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I own the Jet Pro Shop and it is okay. However, if I was doing it over again I would seriously consider the Grizzly - G0690 or G0691 if I had 220v or the G0661 if I only had 110 volt. I'm convinced that for stationary tools they provide the best value for the dollar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can add 220, that's no problem, I was just trying to stay as close to or below $1000. I have looked at the grizzly's and they are interesting but may be more saw than I need and I just cannot justify $1400 after shipping.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
The difference in construction and power between a hybrid and an industrial cabinet saw is significant. The Grizzly G1023RL is $1219 shipped and has a riving knife. The Delta and Jet hybrids will run in the range of $800-$900, are less substantial saws, and don't offer a riving knife…they're capable of doing the job but aren't in the same league. I think the better value is with the cabinet saw, but it's a decision you have to make for yourself. A used cabinet saw might be a good choice for you too.

Cabinet saw trunnions:

Typical hybrid trunnions:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.