LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
221 - 240 of 460 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Adding dust collection to my jointer and my planer

Been awhile and making some progress!

Thought I'd do an update on my depreciated shop equipment LOL! Murphy continues to haunt my shop but it appears he went South for a winter vacation!

I want to thank Stumpy Nubbs for inspiration while shopping at his and my favorite box store. Stumpy finds innovative adaptive uses for items we might not associate with woodworking. I've done some roofing and plumbing and stumpy has some innovative uses for trivets and plumbing stuff such as a downspout to plastic piping adapter, for dust collection on a drill press table.

I was checking out current prices for adapting my dust collection to plastic piping when I ran across the collars used on the roof for vent piping. I picked up a 3 inch collar and thought I would do what stumpy does. LOL!

I previously posted the assembly of my 7 inch Harbor Freight Jointer which sat in the box for many years. The picture here is the exhaust port for the jointer. It shot wood shavings and dust EVERYWHERE.
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Metal

I had a 4inch coupler in my parts box. Set that on the 3 inch rubber collar and used my magic marker to put the diameter on the collar and proceeded to slice equal segments all around the circle. I was able to coax the adapter inside and used a wire clamp and electric tape to seal the connection. Looked Good.

sliced a triangle off each side and used window weather stripping to seal the edges and some self taping 1 inch screws that had to be coaxed into the Thin metal that the base is made from.

The results are quite adequate!

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Machine

Bumper Gas Milling Wood Machine

I also have a discontinued Delta P300 Type 1 Planer. It too spews shavings and dust everywhere. It's ok when I work outside but too many nooks and cranny's for clean up? When I first bought it there was no specific chip shoot to attach to a dust collector and I thought I could adapt a shoot from a 12.5 inch Delta planer. NO way! Did a Google search and found they have made one for my 12 inch planer!

I was just going to attach it when Murphy showed up. (It's warmer …in the thirties here in Southern MN) and I had to take the planer apart. couldn't find my manual. So I downloaded on off the Internet. Used it for a reference , and cleaned ,de- rusted, and waxed the inside and outside and attached the dust collection hood.

Automotive design Office equipment Gas Engineering Machine

!

So I am pretty happy that I won't be spending hours in clean up after truing my rough cut materials!

Thanks for reading along!

If anyone is interested in a dust hood for a 12.5 inch Delta Planer ( pictured below) PM me!

Font Electronic device Audio equipment Electric blue Plant
Looks good, Tom!

What are you planning for this year's Northern Woods Exhibition?

Charlie

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·

Thought I'd do an update on my depreciated shop equipment LOL! Murphy continues to haunt my shop but it appears he went South for a winter vacation!

I want to thank Stumpy Nubbs for inspiration while shopping at his and my favorite box store. Stumpy finds innovative adaptive uses for items we might not associate with woodworking. I've done some roofing and plumbing and stumpy has some innovative uses for trivets and plumbing stuff such as a downspout to plastic piping adapter, for dust collection on a drill press table.

I was checking out current prices for adapting my dust collection to plastic piping when I ran across the collars used on the roof for vent piping. I picked up a 3 inch collar and thought I would do what stumpy does. LOL!

I previously posted the assembly of my 7 inch Harbor Freight Jointer which sat in the box for many years. The picture here is the exhaust port for the jointer. It shot wood shavings and dust EVERYWHERE.

I had a 4inch coupler in my parts box. Set that on the 3 inch rubber collar and used my magic marker to put the diameter on the collar and proceeded to slice equal segments all around the circle. I was able to coax the adapter inside and used a wire clamp and electric tape to seal the connection. Looked Good.

sliced a triangle off each side and used window weather stripping to seal the edges and some self taping 1 inch screws that had to be coaxed into the Thin metal that the base is made from.

I also have a discontinued Delta P300 Type 1 Planer. It too spews shavings and dust everywhere. It's ok when I work outside but too many nooks and cranny's for clean up? When I first bought it there was no specific chip shoot to attach to a dust collector and I thought I could adapt a shoot from a 12.5 inch Delta planer. NO way! Did a Google search and found they have made one for my 12 inch planer!

I was just going to attach it when Murphy showed up. (It's warmer …in the thirties here in Southern MN) and I had to take the planer apart. couldn't find my manual. So I downloaded on off the Internet. Used it for a reference , and cleaned ,de- rusted, and waxed the inside and outside and attached the dust collection hood.

!

So I am pretty happy that I won't be spending hours in clean up after truing my rough cut materials!

If anyone is interested in a dust hood for a 12.5 inch Delta Planer ( pictured below) PM me!

Charlie,

Thanks! For now I will just show up? Have a few more tools and Jigs to put together. Thinking and planning two projects. A night stand and a personalized box for an artist friend.

Attachments

· Registered
215 Posts

!

Hey Tom, looks like you are making great progress. If you can keep the chips and dust under control when using the planer and jointer that is a big step to keeping the shop relatively clean.

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts

!

heck tom…just fly me into your place there and within a small amount of time, i will have you up and running…i work for food…..and i will feed the cats, as long as you dont wake me, oh and i prefer bacon, over sausage…unless you fix egg and cheese mc egg a omelet would really do it, western style first night,and then locale fare after…oh and rib eye steak every friday, 2 fridays are minimum…

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·

!

Thanks Peter!

I know it will help.

Hooked the dust collection up to my bandsaw. I was amazed at how little extra dust was around!

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·

!

Hey Bob,

You taking too much pain meds? LOL! Thanks for stoppin to look.

Attachments

· Registered
344 Posts

!

Hi Tom, you are certainly getting on top of it all!! I only use my Makita planer outdoors, I would never find anything if I tried using it in the shop, like you say it spews everywhere :)

Attachments

· Registered
841 Posts

!

Great job of adapting and conquering challenges.

Attachments

· Registered
215 Posts

!

Looks like a great addition for your shop. It is always better to spend time actually doing woodwork, rather than cleaning the shop. :)

Let me know what you do with the dust hose from the planer. I also have a Delta and found the center outlet to be a pain, with the hose hanging down, getting in the way of my wood.

Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

· Registered
375 Posts

!

What a timely post Tom. I am in the middle of modifying my recently purchased Harbor Freight Dust collector to tackle the very tools you just shared with us. Thanks for the tips buddy.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·

!

Lee,

You're welcome! We should share experiences on dealing with the chinese dragon? LOL!

Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·

!

Phil,

I really hate cleaning and setting up. But I hope this reduces that time. You could work outside under a awning? LOL! Thanks for checking in.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·

!

Scott,

Yeah it's going to be an issue for awhile as I am running 50 ft of flexible hose that goes out to my garden/dust collector shed. I do plan on hanging 4 inch pvc once I get the snow plow off my truck. LOL!

Attachments

· Registered
195 Posts

!

Tom, you're doing the right thing. You won't regret, and for sure you'll say 'Why didn't I do that before !"

All the best,

Serge

http://atelierdubricoleur.wordpress.com

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·

!

Hillbilly Shooter,

Patience is something I'm still learning and practicing. These fixes will help in getting the wood ready. I'm working on hand planing. Next blog! LOL!

Thanks for stopping to read.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·

!

Serge,

As we say in MN. "You Betcha!" My friend recently challenged me by sharing his observation. "Maybe you'd rather fix things than build?" Grrrr! I know how to fix things, and being a pretty good house builder/contractor/general handyman often does not translate to fine woodwork, but I'm motivated.

Working on hand planes. Next blog.

Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
2,169 Posts

!

Great ideas Tom, on my bench top Delta joiner it has a square outlet shoot which I had once built a wooden dust box mounted to the planer, it worked for a while but made it heavier then I wanted it to be and also was cumbersome so I took it off, what I do now to control the chips and dust I just simply place the 4" vacuum hose at the mouth as they both rest on top of the bench and it works just as it's supposed to sucking up all the debris.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·

!

Randy,

Experience! Sounds like you got the right combination! Thanks for stopping.

I might have too little vacuum and too much flex hose. Used it on an old piece of wood I plan on using for the sled I'm making, and I still had to use my shop vac.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts

!

I love it when I can find and repurpose something for my project that would have cost way more if I bought it directly at the store. Way to get all that sawdust under control my friend.

Dominic
-Your best teacher is your last mistake. . . Anonymous

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·

!

Dominic,

Thanks! After I got these dust collection out-feeds going I did the project my friend had challenged me to do. The dust collection went to my Thein chip collector. Still figuring out best plan for hooking up all the parts I've collected over the years! LOL!

Attachments

221 - 240 of 460 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.