LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
201 - 220 of 460 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Re-purposing a shop bench to a woodworkers bench

Been awhile since my last post:

Randy aka Blackie asked that I show my rehabbed/recycled Hybrid woodworking bench. Please feel free to share your thoughts, advise and humor. It is appreciated.

So here it is! Looked and listened to some really good woodworkers here on LJ's like Paul aka Shipwright, and Kiefer. Have to give credit to Paul Sellers and his YouTube video of constructing a woodworkers bench and a more recent one regarding adding bench dogs to your existing bench. Also an excellent video on installing a Jorgenson Woodworking bench vise.

I thought about building one like my hero's, but I am being true to my Wabi Sabi self in recycling and re-purposing what I have, while learning from my imperfections….LOL!

Another step in becoming a better woodworker.

The first Picture is the bench vise I purchased last year after reading positive and negative reviews on Amazon. I have since learned more about different types and might now choose a different vise. But this one will have to be my workhorse.

Fluid Cosmetics Air gun Trigger Liquid

I built this bench from the materials that I used building a three section bench attached to the shop wall out of the construction material that was to be a shop floor. ( Before I found water leaking in under the walls of my shop…another long story…grrr) I had set it up to do metal work. Had a big machinist vise and an angle iron edge. Had built it to balance sheet goods when using my old craftsman belt driven table saw. Now have a Grizzly cabinet saw and height is different. It had been a modified tension box and deck type frame construction. So the 2×8's were glued and screwed to the bottom of the bench top for future bench dog holes. Otherwise the whole bench is anchored together with ceramic coated screws.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

This was another inspired innovation. LOL! I rehabbed an office chair and used star nuts for the levelers. I saw Shipwright's solution and looked at what the costs of bench wheels were at the woodstores. I purchased the castors with the stems, originally for my scroll saw stand. At least 150 pounds and locking hubs for wheels and pivot bearings. Had to run the threading all the way through the castor with WD Forty and a wrench. Mounted the star nuts with s sledge hammer. Drilled holes into the legs and screwed on the castors. Seemed like a great solution.

Until I turned the bench over! The star nuts really could not provide a stable anchor and the bench would rock with the brakes on! A couple taps with my hammer and they were dislodged! Back to the idea board? Oh yeah they made the bench too high.

I had to use a 2×4 laid on its face to provide the difference for me to have the right bench height. As I said back to the idea board. But it is working and I have used it for a couple projects so far.

Wood Workbench Tool Machine Hardwood

Not as expected!

Table Furniture Tradesman Wood Artisan

Next picture is mounting my "POS" 7 inch Harbor Freight bench vise, bought many years ago. Very sloppy , but I am using it to anchor pieces for planning against bench dogs until I can afford to purchase another one.

Tradesman Carpenter Wood Floor Flooring

Had some ceder fence boards that were sitting in the basement that were long enough to add a nice finish to the construction materials…LOL! They were also the same depth at the Jorgenson vise jaws. Hey I even hand planned the rough sides down to make finished boards. Got that brain storm while sanding and getting coated with saw dust!

Table Wood Creative arts Hardwood Workbench

Well as I posted earlier in my shop notes blog this was a good idea that failed. I find my shop has gotten smaller with the assembly of all the shop equipment. The mobile bench was a way to set up tools in a work plan. When I have more woodworking time I will revisit the mobility issue. Until then it is now more functional, comfortable, and I found some ash to fit the vise jaws!

Wood Workbench Sewing machine Gas Table

As I've complained to my friends, I have to get some major maintenance done on my old Victorian, while I am able to climb ladders, hang out windows, and lift commodes to repair broken flanges in upstairs toilets! also to use the window of weather while I can?

Thanks for viewing!
I've considered it Tom, the tax isn't normally too bad, it is the shipping, I'll have to try and find someone who has a bit of space and not much weight in their case!!! Most things I import, usually end up 50-90% more than the original price of the tool.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·

Randy aka Blackie asked that I show my rehabbed/recycled Hybrid woodworking bench. Please feel free to share your thoughts, advise and humor. It is appreciated.

So here it is! Looked and listened to some really good woodworkers here on LJ's like Paul aka Shipwright, and Kiefer. Have to give credit to Paul Sellers and his YouTube video of constructing a woodworkers bench and a more recent one regarding adding bench dogs to your existing bench. Also an excellent video on installing a Jorgenson Woodworking bench vise.

I thought about building one like my hero's, but I am being true to my Wabi Sabi self in recycling and re-purposing what I have, while learning from my imperfections….LOL!

The first Picture is the bench vise I purchased last year after reading positive and negative reviews on Amazon. I have since learned more about different types and might now choose a different vise. But this one will have to be my workhorse.

I built this bench from the materials that I used building a three section bench attached to the shop wall out of the construction material that was to be a shop floor. ( Before I found water leaking in under the walls of my shop…another long story…grrr) I had set it up to do metal work. Had a big machinist vise and an angle iron edge. Had built it to balance sheet goods when using my old craftsman belt driven table saw. Now have a Grizzly cabinet saw and height is different. It had been a modified tension box and deck type frame construction. So the 2×8's were glued and screwed to the bottom of the bench top for future bench dog holes. Otherwise the whole bench is anchored together with ceramic coated screws.

This was another inspired innovation. LOL! I rehabbed an office chair and used star nuts for the levelers. I saw Shipwright's solution and looked at what the costs of bench wheels were at the woodstores. I purchased the castors with the stems, originally for my scroll saw stand. At least 150 pounds and locking hubs for wheels and pivot bearings. Had to run the threading all the way through the castor with WD Forty and a wrench. Mounted the star nuts with s sledge hammer. Drilled holes into the legs and screwed on the castors. Seemed like a great solution.

Until I turned the bench over! The star nuts really could not provide a stable anchor and the bench would rock with the brakes on! A couple taps with my hammer and they were dislodged! Back to the idea board? Oh yeah they made the bench too high.

I had to use a 2×4 laid on its face to provide the difference for me to have the right bench height. As I said back to the idea board. But it is working and I have used it for a couple projects so far.

Not as expected!

Next picture is mounting my "POS" 7 inch Harbor Freight bench vise, bought many years ago. Very sloppy , but I am using it to anchor pieces for planning against bench dogs until I can afford to purchase another one.

Had some ceder fence boards that were sitting in the basement that were long enough to add a nice finish to the construction materials…LOL! They were also the same depth at the Jorgenson vise jaws. Hey I even hand planned the rough sides down to make finished boards. Got that brain storm while sanding and getting coated with saw dust!

Well as I posted earlier in my shop notes blog this was a good idea that failed. I find my shop has gotten smaller with the assembly of all the shop equipment. The mobile bench was a way to set up tools in a work plan. When I have more woodworking time I will revisit the mobility issue. Until then it is now more functional, comfortable, and I found some ash to fit the vise jaws!

As I've complained to my friends, I have to get some major maintenance done on my old Victorian, while I am able to climb ladders, hang out windows, and lift commodes to repair broken flanges in upstairs toilets! also to use the window of weather while I can?

Thanks for viewing!
Don't buy this vise as it is going for 199 bucks on Ebay! Good luck!

Attachments

· Registered
344 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Ha! Ha! I think if I paid nearly $400 for a vise, I would get kicked out of the house :)

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Phil,

You're pretty adept at woodworking. kiefer posted a really well thought out and enginered robou type vise for a bench. He has a demonstration on You Tube as well?

Attachments

· Registered
344 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Tom, thanks for the idea, I think I would get more use out of a Moxon vise, but making my own is an option I hadn't really considered, I think I'll give it a go, but I need to build a more permanent workbench first. However these will all have to wait until I have finished the kiosko…lol :) Thanks again!

Attachments

· Registered
818 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Nothing wrong with that bench Tom it will be just fine .
To improve it you could maybe install a lower shelf for more storage and another in the middle with bracing between the legs also a back panel to keep things from falling behind the shelves .
The vises are just fine and adding a wracking stop would improve them also and is a easy and inexpensive fix
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/98847
Tilting the top of the jaw toward the bench is also of help along with leather facings on the jaws .
Keep working at it and keep woodworking it will all get done in time .

Attachments

· Registered
68 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Nice bench Tom. It's always exciting to begin a new project on a new bench. I too got my vise from Harbor freight years back. I also got one from Rocker. Sadly, no one sells wood working bench vises here in the Philippines. Still busy finishing up on them doors….

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Kiefer,

Thanks! I do plan on drawers. The way the legs are put together prevented me from adding the shelf in the last part of the build. The lower shelf has a patina on it from aging in the shop. LOL! Like me? I plan to halve it and add a cross piece in order to get it in. I will see about applying your fix to the Harbor Freight vise.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Benji,

Are there import taxes? Is shipping cost similar to Phil's. Would you believe that I have 78 percent humidity in my shop? The AC unit I bought does not drain and although it cools the humidity stays high. Got some rust spots on my new vise! GRRR!

Attachments

· Registered
68 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Some specialty tools can cost almost double over here after import taxes Tom. Regular portable tools like Makita, De Walt etc are almost at par with prices there. Wow 78% humidity! You'll need some anti inflammatory meds for your woods. LOL! I got a dehumidifier for my sculpting studio for use during the monsoon season. The furniture shop is pretty much okay during summers and the rainy season since it's got Windows all around the building.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Phil,

Just think of it as "Big Box Building" and it will go much easier. Not faster. LOL!

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Benji,

Can you bring one home duty free on your next trip to see your girls?

Have a counseling client in Mankato today, got to get going, will respond to comments later this evening. How's the building designing?

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
"Cut it off twice and it was still to short," or look ma I got wheels!

I finally got my Hybrid Woodworkers Bench mobile and ready to go. I found some different castors from Peachtree though their email specials. Told myself "gonna get this puppy runnin around my shop!" As those who follow some of my ramblings know I had put some castors with a stem into the legs of my bench but even though I found star nuts to fit the shafts and re threaded the star nuts, the stem was not long enough and the forces from the bench weight caused it to wobble. a quick tap with the hammer and you can see that it sat on two by fours against the wall.

Wood Hardwood Gas Creative arts Plywood

The second picture is my first cut and mount of the castors. They measured 4 " non compressed, and I was pretty proud of my accurate hand saw work. Oh yeah forgot to add the 1 1/2 inches which meant a shorter cut.

Wood Floor Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

Actually woke up the following morning and realized what I forgot! So, I looked around at what I had, measured the feet length and width and cut and sanded some more of the leg material. Routed the ends to add a touch of finish to them

Wood Creative arts Floor Flooring Hardwood

This is the previous good idea that wasn't. LOL! you can see the original casters hat lasted about ten minutes after I turned the bench over!
Wood Hardwood Building Workbench Flooring

This is how the bench originally looked shimmed on the2×4's.

Table Wood Drill Handheld power drill Workbench

Thanks to Klaus Kiefer, Paul the Woodwright, Blackie the valet box maker, for their original assistance and shove to get the thing done and posted.

I took a little extra time at the end as I think the guys I just spoke of would and made it a little prettier, as well as protecting it from the extremes in humidity in my shop. I seal oated it, which caused the grain to pop, and added a coat of water- borne poly to seal it off.

As always all comments and humor is welcomed.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

· Registered
215 Posts

I finally got my Hybrid Woodworkers Bench mobile and ready to go. I found some different castors from Peachtree though their email specials. Told myself "gonna get this puppy runnin around my shop!" As those who follow some of my ramblings know I had put some castors with a stem into the legs of my bench but even though I found star nuts to fit the shafts and re threaded the star nuts, the stem was not long enough and the forces from the bench weight caused it to wobble. a quick tap with the hammer and you can see that it sat on two by fours against the wall.

The second picture is my first cut and mount of the castors. They measured 4 " non compressed, and I was pretty proud of my accurate hand saw work. Oh yeah forgot to add the 1 1/2 inches which meant a shorter cut.

Actually woke up the following morning and realized what I forgot! So, I looked around at what I had, measured the feet length and width and cut and sanded some more of the leg material. Routed the ends to add a touch of finish to them

This is the previous good idea that wasn't. LOL! you can see the original casters hat lasted about ten minutes after I turned the bench over!

Thanks to Klaus Kiefer, Paul the Woodwright, Blackie the valet box maker, for their original assistance and shove to get the thing done and posted.

I took a little extra time at the end as I think the guys I just spoke of would and made it a little prettier, as well as protecting it from the extremes in humidity in my shop. I seal oated it, which caused the grain to pop, and added a coat of water- borne poly to seal it off.

Thanks for looking
looks like the shop is getting set up very nicely. You've got a great looking bench. I noticed a nice hand plane on the bench, Is that one that you rehabed?

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·

Thanks for looking
Peter,

Thanks for checking the blog. RE: the plane is from harbor freight, Good body terrible blade! I did use it to smooth down the cedar fence pickets to make the skirt. I have some better ones. The rehabbed planes will get used once I get the hard wood into the bench vise, and some bench dog holes drilled and dogs made.

Attachments

· Registered
68 Posts

Thanks for looking
Dang Tom, your work bench looks better than mine! I have been postponing building a new one for ages. It's also nice that you can move it around. I think I will build one similar for sculpting so I can roll it out during summers when it's hot and humid in my studio. Nice!!

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·

Thanks for looking
Benji! How are you doing?

Thanks for checking in. A lot of folks commented on it as a project. The castors make itroll well over my fractured shop floor. I think woodcraft sells a set that might be more appropriate /and more expensive, LOL! They are lower to the ground which keeps the woble down. I have chocks I put along side the casters to firm it up.

Heard the Philippines got hit again?

Attachments

· Registered
344 Posts

Thanks for looking
Sorry no to have commented before Tom, something has gone awry with my notifications! We can all think of ways of making our projects better if we had the finance, but if it works for you?... My last project and Blog Post was also a bench, there is no way I could entertain castors, for one if I put it on it's side, that is where it would stay, and the weight alone, would probably put the castors through the tiled floor! I'm still jealous of the size of your vise ;)

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·

Thanks for looking
Phil,

My wife helped get it back upright! And an 8 foot 2×4 for leverage. As for a vise Have you considered making one since this one would be at least 3 to 4 hundred where you live. check out Kiefer's last leg vise. It's simplified, he has YouTube video, and a sketchup. He also did a blog. He's asking me when I'm going to do that. Told him I'm only on the first rung of the ladder. LOL!

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Adding dust collection to my jointer and my planer

Been awhile and making some progress!

Thought I'd do an update on my depreciated shop equipment LOL! Murphy continues to haunt my shop but it appears he went South for a winter vacation!

I want to thank Stumpy Nubbs for inspiration while shopping at his and my favorite box store. Stumpy finds innovative adaptive uses for items we might not associate with woodworking. I've done some roofing and plumbing and stumpy has some innovative uses for trivets and plumbing stuff such as a downspout to plastic piping adapter, for dust collection on a drill press table.

I was checking out current prices for adapting my dust collection to plastic piping when I ran across the collars used on the roof for vent piping. I picked up a 3 inch collar and thought I would do what stumpy does. LOL!

I previously posted the assembly of my 7 inch Harbor Freight Jointer which sat in the box for many years. The picture here is the exhaust port for the jointer. It shot wood shavings and dust EVERYWHERE.
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Metal

I had a 4inch coupler in my parts box. Set that on the 3 inch rubber collar and used my magic marker to put the diameter on the collar and proceeded to slice equal segments all around the circle. I was able to coax the adapter inside and used a wire clamp and electric tape to seal the connection. Looked Good.

sliced a triangle off each side and used window weather stripping to seal the edges and some self taping 1 inch screws that had to be coaxed into the Thin metal that the base is made from.

The results are quite adequate!

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Machine

Bumper Gas Milling Wood Machine

I also have a discontinued Delta P300 Type 1 Planer. It too spews shavings and dust everywhere. It's ok when I work outside but too many nooks and cranny's for clean up? When I first bought it there was no specific chip shoot to attach to a dust collector and I thought I could adapt a shoot from a 12.5 inch Delta planer. NO way! Did a Google search and found they have made one for my 12 inch planer!

I was just going to attach it when Murphy showed up. (It's warmer …in the thirties here in Southern MN) and I had to take the planer apart. couldn't find my manual. So I downloaded on off the Internet. Used it for a reference , and cleaned ,de- rusted, and waxed the inside and outside and attached the dust collection hood.

Automotive design Office equipment Gas Engineering Machine

Bumper Gas Milling Wood Machine
!

So I am pretty happy that I won't be spending hours in clean up after truing my rough cut materials!

Thanks for reading along!

If anyone is interested in a dust hood for a 12.5 inch Delta Planer ( pictured below) PM me!

Font Electronic device Audio equipment Electric blue Plant

Attachments

201 - 220 of 460 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.