LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
181 - 200 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
How do I get the best out of an OLD DELTA 40-650 Type I? Need experienced advice!

LJ's

I purchased a Delta C arm 18" scroll saw. It has been a misadventure born out of poverty. LOL! Have an intarsia, project in mind. It's for an artist friend. An inlay into a box made from one of his great paintings.

Purchased the 40-650 Type I Scroll Saw at least 3 months ago, maybe longer ( brought it home driving several hours in a blizzard). De rusted the aged metal table, painted and cleaned up the old girl. Looked good!

The clamping mechanism and the clearance for the clamp on this saw seem over engineered and although pretty, (I like the design) It's clamping mechanism is (to me ) screwed up. When I first attempted a high end run, without a net(literally) The blade or clamp broke apart. Lost some springs, and I didn't have the parts.

Finally got everything back together after waiting 2 months for parts, and it is together. ( Had another rainy day)

Did some test cutting on some 3/4 pine and some old 1/4 inch plywood in the shop with different tpi blades. I've been trying different cutting settings and there is a lot of vibration. ( Any suggestions on smooth and safe cutting?

All advice, suggestions, and comments appreciated!

( I probably could have cut all the parts with a hand coping saw by now? LOL!)
True.

Had a old craftsman scroll saw, pin type with the little sanding disk. It was a different style arm. Vibration was much less. Not as versatile as this saw should be? LOL!

How's the shop coming?

May not be here for awhile as sun is shining, rain is evaporating, and I have to get a top coat on my second story windows I have been rebuilding.

( this saw came with a stand, been working onit on my bench.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
How do I get the best out of an OLD DELTA 40-650 Type I? Need experienced advice!

LJ's

I purchased a Delta C arm 18" scroll saw. It has been a misadventure born out of poverty. LOL! Have an intarsia, project in mind. It's for an artist friend. An inlay into a box made from one of his great paintings.

Purchased the 40-650 Type I Scroll Saw at least 3 months ago, maybe longer ( brought it home driving several hours in a blizzard). De rusted the aged metal table, painted and cleaned up the old girl. Looked good!

The clamping mechanism and the clearance for the clamp on this saw seem over engineered and although pretty, (I like the design) It's clamping mechanism is (to me ) screwed up. When I first attempted a high end run, without a net(literally) The blade or clamp broke apart. Lost some springs, and I didn't have the parts.

Finally got everything back together after waiting 2 months for parts, and it is together. ( Had another rainy day)

Did some test cutting on some 3/4 pine and some old 1/4 inch plywood in the shop with different tpi blades. I've been trying different cutting settings and there is a lot of vibration. ( Any suggestions on smooth and safe cutting?

Good luck with the painting!

The shop is coming on fine thanks, I did an update on the Blog the other day with photos, I now just need some time free to spend in it!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·

LJ's

Didn't get a notice?

Doing it from inside, as it is still safer than hanging on a two story ladder.

Later!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Rehabbed Delta 18" C Arm Scroll Saw...it's done!

This has been a learning experience in what not to do. LOL! Saw this scroll saw for 75 bucks on Craigslist. Drove to the house down dusty country roads and I blogged earlier about this saw requiring a couple hours of fixing the clamp to see it cut wood! Then I drove home in a snow storm.

The first picture is how the saw looked in January!

Hood Wood Record player Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment

The second picture is how the rusted table looked. I got some suggestions from Blackie (Randy) regarding about using apple cider vinegar to remove rust. This large table top would have required a big bucket. I figured out how to soak the table with the vinegar using paper towels and a large heavy duty trash bag. After a couple days it took most of the rust away and then I hand rubbed with cider vinegar and paper towels. Then water rinse , dry and used polishing compound followed by paste wax. Looks pretty good!

Wood Table Cookware and bakeware Gas Composite material

The third and fourth pictures are of the over engineered clamping mechanism. I had put the saw back together after greasing the one major bearing. ( Different from later saws which have more bearings and a different style arm and better clamping systems.

When I put the saw back together and attempted to run it up to a non vibrating faster cutting speed the clamping mechanism and blade broke spraying the little parts of this pretty but over complicated clamping system. No spare springs! I ordered them from e replacement parts and got the parts 60 days later! I used the internet to find some pictures of how it is assembled because the shop manual was useless!
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part

Wood Gas Machine Metal Hardwood

The next two pictures 5 &6
show the removal of the o ring holding the bearing in required the purchase of some ring pliers and I purchased some synthetic racing lubricant and needle valve, as it was recommended in a YouTube video in rehabbing a newer scroll saw with many bearings.
Wood Cameras & optics Audio equipment Gas Camera accessory

Kitchen appliance Gas Bottle Wood Home appliance

I also removed and replaced the bolt that ran all the way through and shared the lower clamp space. It requires tightening and loosening two locking mechanisms but frees up that space for the clamp alone.

Picture 7 is the completed scroll saw.

Table Wood Gas Gramophone record Technology

There is more that I did. I asked the scrollers on LJ's for suggestions and advise. They haven't been down this road but made suggestions, which I appreciate. I put wheels on with castors as my shop is getting smaller with new tools and requires set up now. Bought the wrong locking castors. Didn't lock the pivot bearings. WOBBLE WOBBLE! More cost and time?

What is ironic is it still does not work as I expected. I purchased a Craftsman scroll saw 16 inch on sale with a cast iron table and simple lock mechanism that I saw reviewed on YouTube. ( This is what I might do today after this long detour from my purpose in buying a scroll saw to begin with!

I have no mentor so I am fumbling through. Even on a expensive Excaliber scroll saw there is a large amount of drift when cutting, similar to cutting with a band saw.

Found that out from watching scroll saw cutting basics on YouTube again.

It's not easy to cut this stuff as it appears when the demonstrators are doing it. Then when the tensioning mechanism is poor it doesn't help. Well it's not a big door stop anymore.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

This has been a learning experience in what not to do. LOL! Saw this scroll saw for 75 bucks on Craigslist. Drove to the house down dusty country roads and I blogged earlier about this saw requiring a couple hours of fixing the clamp to see it cut wood! Then I drove home in a snow storm.

The second picture is how the rusted table looked. I got some suggestions from Blackie (Randy) regarding about using apple cider vinegar to remove rust. This large table top would have required a big bucket. I figured out how to soak the table with the vinegar using paper towels and a large heavy duty trash bag. After a couple days it took most of the rust away and then I hand rubbed with cider vinegar and paper towels. Then water rinse , dry and used polishing compound followed by paste wax. Looks pretty good!

The third and fourth pictures are of the over engineered clamping mechanism. I had put the saw back together after greasing the one major bearing. ( Different from later saws which have more bearings and a different style arm and better clamping systems.

When I put the saw back together and attempted to run it up to a non vibrating faster cutting speed the clamping mechanism and blade broke spraying the little parts of this pretty but over complicated clamping system. No spare springs! I ordered them from e replacement parts and got the parts 60 days later! I used the internet to find some pictures of how it is assembled because the shop manual was useless!

show the removal of the o ring holding the bearing in required the purchase of some ring pliers and I purchased some synthetic racing lubricant and needle valve, as it was recommended in a YouTube video in rehabbing a newer scroll saw with many bearings.

I also removed and replaced the bolt that ran all the way through and shared the lower clamp space. It requires tightening and loosening two locking mechanisms but frees up that space for the clamp alone.

There is more that I did. I asked the scrollers on LJ's for suggestions and advise. They haven't been down this road but made suggestions, which I appreciate. I put wheels on with castors as my shop is getting smaller with new tools and requires set up now. Bought the wrong locking castors. Didn't lock the pivot bearings. WOBBLE WOBBLE! More cost and time?

What is ironic is it still does not work as I expected. I purchased a Craftsman scroll saw 16 inch on sale with a cast iron table and simple lock mechanism that I saw reviewed on YouTube. ( This is what I might do today after this long detour from my purpose in buying a scroll saw to begin with!

I have no mentor so I am fumbling through. Even on a expensive Excaliber scroll saw there is a large amount of drift when cutting, similar to cutting with a band saw.

It's not easy to cut this stuff as it appears when the demonstrators are doing it. Then when the tensioning mechanism is poor it doesn't help. Well it's not a big door stop anymore.

yhis looks to be like the one i have, it looks like yours has a light, i dont have that, besides that is looks very similar…if you weld a chain onto the motor area, it will work as a great anchor..so sorry you had so much trouble

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts

Good job rejuvinating this saw, Tom. I believe it's a very satisfying experience.

Now the big question: How much do you want to it now ? ;-)

Best,

Serge

http://atelierdubricoleur.wordpress.com

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·

Grizz,

Thanks for commenting. :<) Hope you are feeling better. The light is from my old office. Don't have a welder. LOL! Or a boat.

It has been a learning experience about saws. I know you've commented on my journey. I appreciate your support.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·

Serge,

Thanks for checking in. I'm going to do some comparative cutting. Found some good instructions on YouTube. If I'd have spent all the time learning to cut I'd probably have my intarsa project done? LOL! Your support is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Re-purposing a shop bench to a woodworkers bench

Been awhile since my last post:

Randy aka Blackie asked that I show my rehabbed/recycled Hybrid woodworking bench. Please feel free to share your thoughts, advise and humor. It is appreciated.

So here it is! Looked and listened to some really good woodworkers here on LJ's like Paul aka Shipwright, and Kiefer. Have to give credit to Paul Sellers and his YouTube video of constructing a woodworkers bench and a more recent one regarding adding bench dogs to your existing bench. Also an excellent video on installing a Jorgenson Woodworking bench vise.

I thought about building one like my hero's, but I am being true to my Wabi Sabi self in recycling and re-purposing what I have, while learning from my imperfections….LOL!

Another step in becoming a better woodworker.

The first Picture is the bench vise I purchased last year after reading positive and negative reviews on Amazon. I have since learned more about different types and might now choose a different vise. But this one will have to be my workhorse.

Fluid Cosmetics Air gun Trigger Liquid

I built this bench from the materials that I used building a three section bench attached to the shop wall out of the construction material that was to be a shop floor. ( Before I found water leaking in under the walls of my shop…another long story…grrr) I had set it up to do metal work. Had a big machinist vise and an angle iron edge. Had built it to balance sheet goods when using my old craftsman belt driven table saw. Now have a Grizzly cabinet saw and height is different. It had been a modified tension box and deck type frame construction. So the 2×8's were glued and screwed to the bottom of the bench top for future bench dog holes. Otherwise the whole bench is anchored together with ceramic coated screws.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

This was another inspired innovation. LOL! I rehabbed an office chair and used star nuts for the levelers. I saw Shipwright's solution and looked at what the costs of bench wheels were at the woodstores. I purchased the castors with the stems, originally for my scroll saw stand. At least 150 pounds and locking hubs for wheels and pivot bearings. Had to run the threading all the way through the castor with WD Forty and a wrench. Mounted the star nuts with s sledge hammer. Drilled holes into the legs and screwed on the castors. Seemed like a great solution.

Until I turned the bench over! The star nuts really could not provide a stable anchor and the bench would rock with the brakes on! A couple taps with my hammer and they were dislodged! Back to the idea board? Oh yeah they made the bench too high.

I had to use a 2×4 laid on its face to provide the difference for me to have the right bench height. As I said back to the idea board. But it is working and I have used it for a couple projects so far.

Wood Workbench Tool Machine Hardwood

Not as expected!

Table Furniture Tradesman Wood Artisan

Next picture is mounting my "POS" 7 inch Harbor Freight bench vise, bought many years ago. Very sloppy , but I am using it to anchor pieces for planning against bench dogs until I can afford to purchase another one.

Tradesman Carpenter Wood Floor Flooring

Had some ceder fence boards that were sitting in the basement that were long enough to add a nice finish to the construction materials…LOL! They were also the same depth at the Jorgenson vise jaws. Hey I even hand planned the rough sides down to make finished boards. Got that brain storm while sanding and getting coated with saw dust!

Table Wood Creative arts Hardwood Workbench

Well as I posted earlier in my shop notes blog this was a good idea that failed. I find my shop has gotten smaller with the assembly of all the shop equipment. The mobile bench was a way to set up tools in a work plan. When I have more woodworking time I will revisit the mobility issue. Until then it is now more functional, comfortable, and I found some ash to fit the vise jaws!

Wood Workbench Sewing machine Gas Table

As I've complained to my friends, I have to get some major maintenance done on my old Victorian, while I am able to climb ladders, hang out windows, and lift commodes to repair broken flanges in upstairs toilets! also to use the window of weather while I can?

Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts

Randy aka Blackie asked that I show my rehabbed/recycled Hybrid woodworking bench. Please feel free to share your thoughts, advise and humor. It is appreciated.

So here it is! Looked and listened to some really good woodworkers here on LJ's like Paul aka Shipwright, and Kiefer. Have to give credit to Paul Sellers and his YouTube video of constructing a woodworkers bench and a more recent one regarding adding bench dogs to your existing bench. Also an excellent video on installing a Jorgenson Woodworking bench vise.

I thought about building one like my hero's, but I am being true to my Wabi Sabi self in recycling and re-purposing what I have, while learning from my imperfections….LOL!

The first Picture is the bench vise I purchased last year after reading positive and negative reviews on Amazon. I have since learned more about different types and might now choose a different vise. But this one will have to be my workhorse.

I built this bench from the materials that I used building a three section bench attached to the shop wall out of the construction material that was to be a shop floor. ( Before I found water leaking in under the walls of my shop…another long story…grrr) I had set it up to do metal work. Had a big machinist vise and an angle iron edge. Had built it to balance sheet goods when using my old craftsman belt driven table saw. Now have a Grizzly cabinet saw and height is different. It had been a modified tension box and deck type frame construction. So the 2×8's were glued and screwed to the bottom of the bench top for future bench dog holes. Otherwise the whole bench is anchored together with ceramic coated screws.

This was another inspired innovation. LOL! I rehabbed an office chair and used star nuts for the levelers. I saw Shipwright's solution and looked at what the costs of bench wheels were at the woodstores. I purchased the castors with the stems, originally for my scroll saw stand. At least 150 pounds and locking hubs for wheels and pivot bearings. Had to run the threading all the way through the castor with WD Forty and a wrench. Mounted the star nuts with s sledge hammer. Drilled holes into the legs and screwed on the castors. Seemed like a great solution.

Until I turned the bench over! The star nuts really could not provide a stable anchor and the bench would rock with the brakes on! A couple taps with my hammer and they were dislodged! Back to the idea board? Oh yeah they made the bench too high.

I had to use a 2×4 laid on its face to provide the difference for me to have the right bench height. As I said back to the idea board. But it is working and I have used it for a couple projects so far.

Not as expected!

Next picture is mounting my "POS" 7 inch Harbor Freight bench vise, bought many years ago. Very sloppy , but I am using it to anchor pieces for planning against bench dogs until I can afford to purchase another one.

Had some ceder fence boards that were sitting in the basement that were long enough to add a nice finish to the construction materials…LOL! They were also the same depth at the Jorgenson vise jaws. Hey I even hand planned the rough sides down to make finished boards. Got that brain storm while sanding and getting coated with saw dust!

Well as I posted earlier in my shop notes blog this was a good idea that failed. I find my shop has gotten smaller with the assembly of all the shop equipment. The mobile bench was a way to set up tools in a work plan. When I have more woodworking time I will revisit the mobility issue. Until then it is now more functional, comfortable, and I found some ash to fit the vise jaws!

As I've complained to my friends, I have to get some major maintenance done on my old Victorian, while I am able to climb ladders, hang out windows, and lift commodes to repair broken flanges in upstairs toilets! also to use the window of weather while I can?

Thanks for viewing!
Great work and nice bench, Tom. Who won't like to get more working surfaces with holding power ! (or spaces to drop more stuff ! - Sorry, I couldn't resist). lol

All the best buddy, and enjoy it.

Serge

http://atelierdubricoleur.wordpress.com

Attachments

·
Registered
20,029 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Great job. I want lots of benches in the shop. Then I don't have to put things away as often. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Monte,

Thanks, but believe it or not I clean up the shop every night! Have to, because I share it with 6 cats who might decide to mark something even though they have an enclosed yard.

And yep I am disorganized!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
only 6 cats, gee…how come you dont have more…lol…i would love to just have one, but the time is not right yet here…when i put my bench on some very heavy duty casters , it did the same thing, rock, i dont know what i will do, if i take the wheels off, that is where it will be, its really heavy, but for now the casters stay on….but i like yours…where are the cats, i didnt see any in the pictures…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
very nice job on the bench.thanks for sharing glad blackie talked you into posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
They took over the upstairs level in the barn part of shop. They ar enot too happy with loud noises. There is a large cat liter box in back of the water bottle and vise in first picture.

Thanks for checking it out Bob!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Well Tom that looks nice strong and sturdy, I've heard no matter what you build you want it strong enough to have sex on it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Thanks Marty,

I have been busy as I have complained about. Now working on a neglected single window, which does not require rebuilding, just stripping sanding,glazing and repainting. Sigh, but it isn't like I have to remove them and rebuild them as on the other side. ( I do go on, don't I..LOL)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Close Randy,

The saying use to go for decks I built that "you could park a truck on it!" LOL!

Thanks for checkin in!

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
I wish you would stop going on about your Bench Vises Tom!!!! I desperately want one, I have trawled the DIY Stores of Colombia, and they only seem to sell Engineering Vises, if they didn't weigh so much I would import one, but …

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·

Not as expected!

Thanks for viewing!
Hey Phil,

Have you considered just the mechanism? or is tha too much? My friend in Costa Rica says they have a 100% import tax.

Thanks for checking in.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 460 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.