LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Need some help for the next step /220 single phase GFI?

I will have to put new wiring in for my 220 single phase 1023sl grizzly bear. Thats the next step so I can make hardwood rails for my "too short " dollies.

I have GFI's in line on all 110 circuits. It appears that I can only get a 220 GFI cuircut breaker?

Will be going to my second home..My favorite "Box Store" to pick up some electrical hardware.

Will I have to mount a 220 single phase gfi in the panel?

Thanks
cant wait to see your shop…good luck with your wiring.., well its a bit more then luck..make sure you wire it right. dont want to see a cloud over your way…or any bright flashes…what will be your next project doc…are you going to surprise us with a masterpiece..yes…grizz

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Uncle Stumpy asked if I had any projects yet? LOL!

This is what I told him….

I am moving forward and backwards at the same time. Got a challenge from a friend who I had challenged awhile ago. He is through his angst and has sold a major painting, plus others. He said "just go out and play with the wood." I agreed. Then the electrical inspector called asking if I had finished yet? That became my priority. Finished it and made a major mistake which he has had me correct.

Yesterday I finished putting together some concrete pads. Had to adjust for a very crooked concrete floor. Will be building a large shelf to put my crap on.

I had gone to my shop to play with the wood and couldn't find a place to DO anything! Dangerous as well?

Probably another week as I will be seeing the few clients I have (psychology) and after all that, and before finishing assembly of my jointer/planer, floor drill press, and delta dust collector…...I have a piece of ash that has dried and checked that I will make a sitting stool when feeding my outside/and barn cats.

Have a title for when I post it…"Sitting on my ash!"

Gotta call the electrical inspector to get him to sign off.

No simple answers.

Tom/akaDocSavage45
HEY TOM, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU PROGRESSED A FEW FEET FORWARD, THEN SLIPPED ON SOME KITTY POO AND THEN BACK ABOUT 4 FEET..opps i hate when i accidently type in caps…sorry…not yelling…....i mean why should i yell, should i lay on the couch and figure it out…it might turn into a nap…..so this is what i think, you were doing good and making progress but then you had a cat ass tro fee..and it all went into a ball of fur…..im a little short on sleep , so my disclaimer is , nothing i say here am i accountable for…so the main question is, are you going to make anything..i will wait for part 2 here to see what develops…

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Uncle Stumpy asked if I had any projects yet? LOL!

This is what I told him….

I am moving forward and backwards at the same time. Got a challenge from a friend who I had challenged awhile ago. He is through his angst and has sold a major painting, plus others. He said "just go out and play with the wood." I agreed. Then the electrical inspector called asking if I had finished yet? That became my priority. Finished it and made a major mistake which he has had me correct.

Yesterday I finished putting together some concrete pads. Had to adjust for a very crooked concrete floor. Will be building a large shelf to put my crap on.

I had gone to my shop to play with the wood and couldn't find a place to DO anything! Dangerous as well?

Probably another week as I will be seeing the few clients I have (psychology) and after all that, and before finishing assembly of my jointer/planer, floor drill press, and delta dust collector…...I have a piece of ash that has dried and checked that I will make a sitting stool when feeding my outside/and barn cats.

Have a title for when I post it…"Sitting on my ash!"

Gotta call the electrical inspector to get him to sign off.

No simple answers.

Tom/akaDocSavage45
news flash, i just had this idea, why dont you commision me to make something for you and you can then claim that you made it….we wont tell anyone…..LOL…..ok im going out to the shop…im making progress on the coffin…at this rate i might need it sooner then later….....]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Still here!

Haven't posted in awhile re: my tools and shop. I have made progress and have shared that with a few LJ's. I have succeeded in getting through my electrical inspection and now have an approved box in the Cau Haus.

I ran metal conduit for my 220 single phase cabinet saw. Had some sticks of metal conduit from a project many years ago. Had to do some tricky(for me) bends and twists to get around ceiling joists and the metal gas pipe for the furnace. Of course I screwed it up! Brain function slows with age if it's not used in a particular area. Looked at some bend and tried to bend it on the floor. Backwards!

Good thing I had it inspected. Went to local Box Store and even checked out NEMA and still picked the wrong outlet! Eyes also diminish with age. I need glasses for close up! The electrical inspector was quite kind, as this was my third year..LOL! Been busy doing other things. he pointed out that I had chosen 110 plugs and outlet….GRRRR! Rewired my extension cord and the plug on the saw and the outlet. He put his stamp on the box! Sigh!

After that…looked around and found NO CLEAR SPACE TO WORK IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING!Set about to improve my safety, and create order. Built a floor to (low) ceiling shelf. It's plumb and level. Attached to support the floor joists for the second floor. Had to pour concrete footers to get the upright posts stable. Small pads take as long as knee walls!

Finished it last night. not square…but close enough…shelves. Started moving materials and tools onto the shelves. I have way too many gallons of exterior oil stain! Another story….

Will be cleaning up the benches and floors in the work area, after doing insurance billing for my psychology practice( I hate paperwork!)

And it's me and that piece of ash. It's sat for a long time in a dry space in winter for a few years now. I'm going to use a trick I learned from Charles Niel to remove them.

Hope to have some pictures and progress on an actual piece of furniture????? LOL

Thanks for following my babble.
babble , babble , babble some, keep on doing it and the shop will come…plenty of power to make the tools whine, the moving of hand planes, the sound is divine, were all standing by, waiting for this day, when doc will want to come out and play…....

· Registered
4,010 Posts
What is the status?

An update re: progress if it can be called that? The first picture is a somewhat organized chaos! I realized that I was in Hazzard County as my benches and the floor were filled with materials, tools and garbage. I decided that after the electric box was approved to go out and work on that "piece of ash." But I was unable to move.

Wood Hardwood Flooring Ladder Tool

The second picture is a slight evolution of progress? I actually put in about three of my shop DAZE getting materials and tools put on the floor to ceiling shelving I built, which took more time than I expected…OH DAH!

Wood Building Floor Flooring Hardwood
!https:/

The third picture, which should be the last in this sequence, is that ash that I had cut in two to work on the checks and splits that had developed. Found out why Charles Neil is always right…LOL! The piece was given to me as a sample. Its from the center of the log and near the first cut off the log. The piece split right where Charles said "it always splits and checks here." GRRR!

Wanted to do a butterfly, Nakashima style on the organic piece. Didn't have a mortising bit! Ordered one. When I put it into my porter cable plunge router and tried to use the bushing . It ate it up. Brass!
go figure????? Waiting on a Porter Cable bushing set.

Wood Tool Natural material Hardwood Wood stain

The last three photos show why it took some time. I jacked up the second floor joists and set the posts to help support my second floor and plumb the support posts.

This is the floor to ceiling shelving that I built. 2 ft deep and 8 ft wide! I loaded it up and now have some organized chaos! The shelving took around 2 weeks with work and waiting for the concrete pads to set up. No level surfaces in my Cau Haus!

/storage.googleapis.com/aws-s3-lumberjocks-com/mmrkx6w.jpg!

Property Wood Shelf Shelving Wall

Wood Beam Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Damn, even though they are small pads they took a week to set. This gave me a flat and level as well as strong base to set the posts.

Wood Table Flooring Gas Desk

I am now trying to get my plane blades sharpened, and my planes functional.. playing with my routers and the piece of ash!

Spring time is here. I missed my objective of having my jointer planer assembled as well as my floor drill press, which is still in a box under material in another room in the shop!

My old Victorian house is in need of maintenance she is 140 years old and has lots of character but she requires more energy than a normal house/ rebuilt THE BACK PORCH, ADDED INSULATED WINDOWS AND ADDITIONAL FRAMING. it's 80 % finished on inside and needs something to stay in character on the outside.

Another reason for my lack of follow through is I lost two more of my cats to Feline Leukemia this past month.

Three inches forward…two inches back.

Later my friends
awe dam doc, im sure sorry for the loss of your kitties, im getting tired of loosing my furry friends, but i love them to much to not do my part, if i could i would get every animal that went into the pound here, i have 2 acres and could build a feline habitat and then a canine habitat…...i just need the money, if some rich person would like to help my cause, i would be forever grateful, now doc i sure want pictures of you wrestling with your table saw, so get off your ash and dont rely on your laurel…you must be pining to get busy with wood..lol

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
The eagle has landed!

My goal was to have my equipment up and running by Spring. I had a detour in building the shelving, and having to make the rails for the equipment dollies. It's Mid-Spring and today I reassembled my 6×48 belt sander floor model. This is the last piece of shop equipment that sat idle or in a box depreciating for 7 years. It is not pictured here.

The first picture is my 7" jointer planer from Harbor Freight ( now discontinued) After attempting to read the directions ( sparse and inconsistent) I realized I had to stop. I want the shop equipment to be on dollies and I had purchased them from Northern Tool at a reasonable price. ( Now discontinued) I am unable to use the steel tubing that came with it. Too short! Solved the problem by stealing an idea from one of the companies that sell you the corner brackets and you provide wooden rails. Used hardwood ( ash LOL!) and I had to true it up by hand as my rabbit jointer was not assembled. I found my old planes and had to sharpen the blades. Eventually I shaped the rails and assembled the mobile base for the jointer. ( used this on the dolly for the drill press)

Wood Flooring Gas Engineering Shipping box

Handwriting Font Plant Wood Material property

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Electronic engineering Thickness planer

Got to this point in my stumbling assembly and found that the guide fence was the wrong one. Oh yeah did I mention it's discontinued! GRRRR! Gave up and cleaned up my work area. The back was made for a different size jointer , also discontinued! It has tabs which sit on each side of the feed table. Bright idea!I used my 7" grinder and ground the tabs off of the cast Iron guide fence. The I had to find metric hex head bolts and a metric driver. My local Farm and Fleet/Ace Hardware had the bolts. And it is assembled. Have to make a chip collector for it
Table Wood Floor Flooring Gas

The next machine is my Delta Planer which I had to remove the rust which was on the rollers and clean the knives and clean up the body. Oh yeah It's depreciated and discontinued. They have replaced it with a second model in 7 years.

Wood Office equipment Audio equipment Office supplies Engineering

The next item took some engineering and my come-a-long! You can see the modified rails in the Dolly. I was able to use the jointer on them. About one third the time of my hand planning !

Wood Gas Flooring Engineering Machine

This is my set up in assembling the Head onto the column of the 17 inch 1 hp floor drill press. Oh yeah its DISCONTINUED! This went amazingly well. Made a sling out of jute rope and ratcheted it up above the previously assembled column. I was lucky as I expected it to not get above the column on my first try.

Gas Audio equipment Electrical wiring Machine Wire

The dolly out of sequence LOL!
Wood Milling Drill presses Floor Flooring

Assembled and running! The Woosie Wins!

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Clock

The last picture is my 1.5 hp Delta Dust Collector The Chorus replies IT'S DISCONTINUED! This too had rust on the impeller and the rust had also gotten under the paint on the blower housing. Sanded, primered, painted, and reassembled.

It's been a long journey. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Looked around for my Woodstock chip collector lid I bought many years ago. Does not fit any of the trash cans at my local Menards HMMM should I have expected it to fit. The chorus "It's Discontinued!"

So I saw Stumpy Nubbs last show and I will be building a chip collector to precede my dust collector

I have been playing with my natural edge piece of ash. and I have a picture of the project in my head. I will put it together practicing with my new depreciated tools. LOL!

After this my old Victorian house needs some upgrading and maintenance. I will be building some cabinets to go under the windows and making some decorative trim in keeping with the country Victorian exterior. It won't be furniture for awhile but it will be woodworking and practicing with my shop equipment.
yea thomas, its looking good, im excited just seeing it all. now take a stick of dynamite throw it in and when you come back, it will be just like you want…

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
My version of the thein chip collector

Having assembled my shop equipment, and watching Stumpy Nubbs show on chip collection for the lower budget…MINE! LOL! Went to my local box stores to purchase a trash can and I was sorely disappointed at the quality of the product in more than one store. At present I have no money for tools. So I remembered the burn barrel I purchased last year for $&.%). Checked it out…price increase. 10 bucks!

Had to clean out dried peanut oil! Another fun task?

Table Hood Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Lots of fun cutting out the lid and lower deflector as my band saw didn't seem to be cutting to smoothly. Got some great advise from fellow LJ's helping out a Newbie. Got it figured out after seeing a great video recommended by Horizontalmike Didn't have a circle cutting jig for my router. Bought some Plexiglas to make one. Tried to cut the holes for the input ports with my circle cutter for sheet metal. Worked once in practice. Dulled the bit??? Cut the 4" holes with my Makita saber saw

Table Wood Stool Workbench Desk

Automotive tire Grass Gas Composite material Cylinder
!
Found excellent instructions for building the thein Dust chip collector by Googling and I purchased the input/output ports from Rockler as they screw together.

Gas Tints and shades Circle Wood Concrete
!
Sanded and used two coats of shellac sealer, then Rustolium spray primmer and the grey spray paint I used to clean up my Delta Dust Collector

Table Plant Wood Gas Circle

I used carriage bolts, 8" x 3/8's and made sleeves from my conduit that I screwed up putting in my 220 volt line for my cabinet saw. LOL! I like to overbuild. could have just left it. :)

Gas Cylinder Plant Machine Composite material

Purchased some coaster wheels to mount to the bottom of the can for ease of movement. But I have had to start on my decaying second floor windows in my Victorian House. Thought it would be a matter of scraping old paint. NOPE! water damage. It's my NEW PRIORITY as I am not getting any younger and I'm working off a two story ladder!
well i new this post was really going to suck…lol…someone was going to say it, might as well be me…maybe you should make a rolling cart to put under the heavy barrel…just a thought, well that or get all of the cats on a harness system and let them pull it for fish…:)...

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Small steps forward

Not a whole lot to show for progrees since the last posting, but I have two functional chores completed toward my goal.

When I constructed my Thein chip separator I had a difficult time, and therefore extended time in cutting the plywood circles. Used my Makita Saber Saw, and then figured out/tuned up my Band Saw with help from some knowledgeable Lumberjocks. My thanks ( again!) for the guidance.

Realized I could cur faster with a circle cutter, and used my sheet metal circle cutter. As I mentioned I cut one hole which dulled the bit. Resorted back to my saber saw.

Marc Adams of the Marc Adams Woodworking School did a two day workshop for the MN Woodworkers Guild. I purchased his set of instructional DVD's and learned a bunch. Remembered the Router DVD. It has Router Jigs. Replayed it, took some notes, and bought some 1/4 inch acrylic from my local window repair guy.

The jig is et up with 1/2 inch increments starting FROM A 4" RADIUS THROUGH A 16" RADIUS.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Electronic instrument

Jeans Electrical wiring Eyewear Wood Audio equipment

Used my drill press, band saw, and stationary sander. This slow poke took a day with careful attention so I didn't have to cut and drill a second time. LOL!

I had mentioned that I have yet to put wheels on the chip separator. That actually went well. Used one fixed wheel and two multidirectional wheels with locks.

I had originally build a garden shed for my snow blowers, lawn mowers, and I had intended to put the dust collector in the building which is about 4 ft from my shop. Realized my Delta is only 1200 cfm, and I had purchase flex 4" with blast gates. This was before I knew how much dust collectors really need to suck.

Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Rim Auto part

Liquid Dishware Fluid Serveware Gas

Went with my original plan and put it in the Garden Shed. I'm in the process of figuring out the connection between the two buildings.

Gas Engineering Machine Nut Plumbing
ahhh man Thomas, ive got this crook in my neck…or is it a creek….which would inspire me to want to fish for some trout , in good ole Minnesota…i know you have great trout,,,but you also now have a situation that really sucks…and if you start to use it, you can really roll into action…and im killing myself here with these great puns…or am i a bit to corny…well im glad you have gotten this far…my dust system needs more power, it does well with my planer but not with the table saw…i have to clean it out every so often..and its a back breaking chore..well glad to see your moving along…

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Small steps forward

Not a whole lot to show for progrees since the last posting, but I have two functional chores completed toward my goal.

When I constructed my Thein chip separator I had a difficult time, and therefore extended time in cutting the plywood circles. Used my Makita Saber Saw, and then figured out/tuned up my Band Saw with help from some knowledgeable Lumberjocks. My thanks ( again!) for the guidance.

Realized I could cur faster with a circle cutter, and used my sheet metal circle cutter. As I mentioned I cut one hole which dulled the bit. Resorted back to my saber saw.

Marc Adams of the Marc Adams Woodworking School did a two day workshop for the MN Woodworkers Guild. I purchased his set of instructional DVD's and learned a bunch. Remembered the Router DVD. It has Router Jigs. Replayed it, took some notes, and bought some 1/4 inch acrylic from my local window repair guy.

The jig is et up with 1/2 inch increments starting FROM A 4" RADIUS THROUGH A 16" RADIUS.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Electronic instrument

Used my drill press, band saw, and stationary sander. This slow poke took a day with careful attention so I didn't have to cut and drill a second time. LOL!

I had mentioned that I have yet to put wheels on the chip separator. That actually went well. Used one fixed wheel and two multidirectional wheels with locks.

I had originally build a garden shed for my snow blowers, lawn mowers, and I had intended to put the dust collector in the building which is about 4 ft from my shop. Realized my Delta is only 1200 cfm, and I had purchase flex 4" with blast gates. This was before I knew how much dust collectors really need to suck.

Went with my original plan and put it in the Garden Shed. I'm in the process of figuring out the connection between the two buildings.

Crick and Watson may refer to:
Francis Crick and James D. Watson , the two scientists who discovered the structure of DNA in 1953
Molecular Structure of Nucleic Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid, an article published by Francis Crick and James D. Watson in Nature

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Small steps forward

i have been know to be a brainiak sometimes…:)

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Small steps forward

well if there is a shady spot, a picnic basket with fried chicken and tatter salad, with apple pie and french vanilla bean ice cream, a fishin pole , some worms…and our old dear friend Watson…then im on board…so how many cats do you have now…they might like the fish eggs…..

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Rehabbed Delta 18" C Arm Scroll Saw...it's done!

This has been a learning experience in what not to do. LOL! Saw this scroll saw for 75 bucks on Craigslist. Drove to the house down dusty country roads and I blogged earlier about this saw requiring a couple hours of fixing the clamp to see it cut wood! Then I drove home in a snow storm.

The first picture is how the saw looked in January!

Hood Wood Record player Cookware and bakeware Audio equipment

The second picture is how the rusted table looked. I got some suggestions from Blackie (Randy) regarding about using apple cider vinegar to remove rust. This large table top would have required a big bucket. I figured out how to soak the table with the vinegar using paper towels and a large heavy duty trash bag. After a couple days it took most of the rust away and then I hand rubbed with cider vinegar and paper towels. Then water rinse , dry and used polishing compound followed by paste wax. Looks pretty good!

Wood Table Cookware and bakeware Gas Composite material

The third and fourth pictures are of the over engineered clamping mechanism. I had put the saw back together after greasing the one major bearing. ( Different from later saws which have more bearings and a different style arm and better clamping systems.

When I put the saw back together and attempted to run it up to a non vibrating faster cutting speed the clamping mechanism and blade broke spraying the little parts of this pretty but over complicated clamping system. No spare springs! I ordered them from e replacement parts and got the parts 60 days later! I used the internet to find some pictures of how it is assembled because the shop manual was useless!
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part

Wood Gas Machine Metal Hardwood

The next two pictures 5 &6
show the removal of the o ring holding the bearing in required the purchase of some ring pliers and I purchased some synthetic racing lubricant and needle valve, as it was recommended in a YouTube video in rehabbing a newer scroll saw with many bearings.
Wood Cameras & optics Audio equipment Gas Camera accessory

Kitchen appliance Gas Bottle Wood Home appliance

I also removed and replaced the bolt that ran all the way through and shared the lower clamp space. It requires tightening and loosening two locking mechanisms but frees up that space for the clamp alone.

Picture 7 is the completed scroll saw.

Table Wood Gas Gramophone record Technology

There is more that I did. I asked the scrollers on LJ's for suggestions and advise. They haven't been down this road but made suggestions, which I appreciate. I put wheels on with castors as my shop is getting smaller with new tools and requires set up now. Bought the wrong locking castors. Didn't lock the pivot bearings. WOBBLE WOBBLE! More cost and time?

What is ironic is it still does not work as I expected. I purchased a Craftsman scroll saw 16 inch on sale with a cast iron table and simple lock mechanism that I saw reviewed on YouTube. ( This is what I might do today after this long detour from my purpose in buying a scroll saw to begin with!

I have no mentor so I am fumbling through. Even on a expensive Excaliber scroll saw there is a large amount of drift when cutting, similar to cutting with a band saw.

Found that out from watching scroll saw cutting basics on YouTube again.

It's not easy to cut this stuff as it appears when the demonstrators are doing it. Then when the tensioning mechanism is poor it doesn't help. Well it's not a big door stop anymore.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!
yhis looks to be like the one i have, it looks like yours has a light, i dont have that, besides that is looks very similar…if you weld a chain onto the motor area, it will work as a great anchor..so sorry you had so much trouble

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Re-purposing a shop bench to a woodworkers bench

Been awhile since my last post:

Randy aka Blackie asked that I show my rehabbed/recycled Hybrid woodworking bench. Please feel free to share your thoughts, advise and humor. It is appreciated.

So here it is! Looked and listened to some really good woodworkers here on LJ's like Paul aka Shipwright, and Kiefer. Have to give credit to Paul Sellers and his YouTube video of constructing a woodworkers bench and a more recent one regarding adding bench dogs to your existing bench. Also an excellent video on installing a Jorgenson Woodworking bench vise.

I thought about building one like my hero's, but I am being true to my Wabi Sabi self in recycling and re-purposing what I have, while learning from my imperfections….LOL!

Another step in becoming a better woodworker.

The first Picture is the bench vise I purchased last year after reading positive and negative reviews on Amazon. I have since learned more about different types and might now choose a different vise. But this one will have to be my workhorse.

Fluid Cosmetics Air gun Trigger Liquid

I built this bench from the materials that I used building a three section bench attached to the shop wall out of the construction material that was to be a shop floor. ( Before I found water leaking in under the walls of my shop…another long story…grrr) I had set it up to do metal work. Had a big machinist vise and an angle iron edge. Had built it to balance sheet goods when using my old craftsman belt driven table saw. Now have a Grizzly cabinet saw and height is different. It had been a modified tension box and deck type frame construction. So the 2×8's were glued and screwed to the bottom of the bench top for future bench dog holes. Otherwise the whole bench is anchored together with ceramic coated screws.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

This was another inspired innovation. LOL! I rehabbed an office chair and used star nuts for the levelers. I saw Shipwright's solution and looked at what the costs of bench wheels were at the woodstores. I purchased the castors with the stems, originally for my scroll saw stand. At least 150 pounds and locking hubs for wheels and pivot bearings. Had to run the threading all the way through the castor with WD Forty and a wrench. Mounted the star nuts with s sledge hammer. Drilled holes into the legs and screwed on the castors. Seemed like a great solution.

Until I turned the bench over! The star nuts really could not provide a stable anchor and the bench would rock with the brakes on! A couple taps with my hammer and they were dislodged! Back to the idea board? Oh yeah they made the bench too high.

I had to use a 2×4 laid on its face to provide the difference for me to have the right bench height. As I said back to the idea board. But it is working and I have used it for a couple projects so far.

Wood Workbench Tool Machine Hardwood

Not as expected!

Table Furniture Tradesman Wood Artisan

Next picture is mounting my "POS" 7 inch Harbor Freight bench vise, bought many years ago. Very sloppy , but I am using it to anchor pieces for planning against bench dogs until I can afford to purchase another one.

Tradesman Carpenter Wood Floor Flooring

Had some ceder fence boards that were sitting in the basement that were long enough to add a nice finish to the construction materials…LOL! They were also the same depth at the Jorgenson vise jaws. Hey I even hand planned the rough sides down to make finished boards. Got that brain storm while sanding and getting coated with saw dust!

Table Wood Creative arts Hardwood Workbench

Well as I posted earlier in my shop notes blog this was a good idea that failed. I find my shop has gotten smaller with the assembly of all the shop equipment. The mobile bench was a way to set up tools in a work plan. When I have more woodworking time I will revisit the mobility issue. Until then it is now more functional, comfortable, and I found some ash to fit the vise jaws!

Wood Workbench Sewing machine Gas Table

As I've complained to my friends, I have to get some major maintenance done on my old Victorian, while I am able to climb ladders, hang out windows, and lift commodes to repair broken flanges in upstairs toilets! also to use the window of weather while I can?

Thanks for viewing!
only 6 cats, gee…how come you dont have more…lol…i would love to just have one, but the time is not right yet here…when i put my bench on some very heavy duty casters , it did the same thing, rock, i dont know what i will do, if i take the wheels off, that is where it will be, its really heavy, but for now the casters stay on….but i like yours…where are the cats, i didnt see any in the pictures…

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
Adding dust collection to my jointer and my planer

Been awhile and making some progress!

Thought I'd do an update on my depreciated shop equipment LOL! Murphy continues to haunt my shop but it appears he went South for a winter vacation!

I want to thank Stumpy Nubbs for inspiration while shopping at his and my favorite box store. Stumpy finds innovative adaptive uses for items we might not associate with woodworking. I've done some roofing and plumbing and stumpy has some innovative uses for trivets and plumbing stuff such as a downspout to plastic piping adapter, for dust collection on a drill press table.

I was checking out current prices for adapting my dust collection to plastic piping when I ran across the collars used on the roof for vent piping. I picked up a 3 inch collar and thought I would do what stumpy does. LOL!

I previously posted the assembly of my 7 inch Harbor Freight Jointer which sat in the box for many years. The picture here is the exhaust port for the jointer. It shot wood shavings and dust EVERYWHERE.
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Metal

I had a 4inch coupler in my parts box. Set that on the 3 inch rubber collar and used my magic marker to put the diameter on the collar and proceeded to slice equal segments all around the circle. I was able to coax the adapter inside and used a wire clamp and electric tape to seal the connection. Looked Good.

sliced a triangle off each side and used window weather stripping to seal the edges and some self taping 1 inch screws that had to be coaxed into the Thin metal that the base is made from.

The results are quite adequate!

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Machine

Bumper Gas Milling Wood Machine

I also have a discontinued Delta P300 Type 1 Planer. It too spews shavings and dust everywhere. It's ok when I work outside but too many nooks and cranny's for clean up? When I first bought it there was no specific chip shoot to attach to a dust collector and I thought I could adapt a shoot from a 12.5 inch Delta planer. NO way! Did a Google search and found they have made one for my 12 inch planer!

I was just going to attach it when Murphy showed up. (It's warmer …in the thirties here in Southern MN) and I had to take the planer apart. couldn't find my manual. So I downloaded on off the Internet. Used it for a reference , and cleaned ,de- rusted, and waxed the inside and outside and attached the dust collection hood.

Automotive design Office equipment Gas Engineering Machine

Bumper Gas Milling Wood Machine
!

So I am pretty happy that I won't be spending hours in clean up after truing my rough cut materials!

Thanks for reading along!

If anyone is interested in a dust hood for a 12.5 inch Delta Planer ( pictured below) PM me!

Font Electronic device Audio equipment Electric blue Plant
heck tom…just fly me into your place there and within a small amount of time, i will have you up and running…i work for food…..and i will feed the cats, as long as you dont wake me, oh and i prefer bacon, over sausage…unless you fix egg and cheese mc egg a omelet would really do it, western style first night,and then locale fare after…oh and rib eye steak every friday, 2 fridays are minimum…

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts
MY STRAIGHTEDGE ROUGH CUTTING JIG.

First picture (jig with spalted Maple)

The first picture you see is why I built the jig. If you have been following my journey and saw the other jig that I built for my band saw you know that this is the next step.

I am truly in awe of what Mother Nature has given me.

Picture 2 ( side view of completed straightedge jig with six-inch hold downs)

Wood Gas Table Hardwood Workbench

The next picture is my rough drawing of what a poor man's jig looks like
Font Handwriting Rectangle Triangle Drawing

I decided to use my bandsaw and make some hold downs. I am using whatever stock I have in my shop. I found a leftover piece of one-inch plywood that I glued together to make a base for an oak top for our bathroom vanity. I cut my hold downs out of the one-inch plywood, which look a lot like a dog bone, LOL! The ends are cams providing a rounded surface. They are drilled out to 3/8 of an inch to provide some space for the up-and-down movement of the hold downs.

I found a half inch sheet of plywood and attached a guide strip made from cedar as I have no hardwood. I then trimmed the sides by running the base through the tablesaw on both sides. The width is approximately 11 inches.

I next secured some 5 inch long quarter-inch carriage bolts. I flipped the base over and drilled out the depth of the carriage bolt head. Using some nuts and washers I secured three bolts to the base.

As with my previous projects I used waterborne poly to seal the ends and surfaces due to the fact I have extremely high humidity in my shop in the summertime. Upwards of 90% even with the air conditioner running full blast.
Picture four (spalted maple too small for 6 inch hold downs)

Table Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

I ran the test cut on a wide piece of spalted Maple which turned out just as I had planned. I then found a narrower piece of spalted Maple (the one pictured) and realized my hold downs would not work for narrower pieces. I thought about drilling more holes, but the center track to run on the tablesaw was in the way.

Picture four (straightedge jig with 11 inch hold downs)
Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Plank

Since I'm having so much fun with my bandsaw, I laid out three more hold downs, the approximate width of the base. I sanded and sealed them with waterborne poly and when it dried ran a test trial. It was a success! I think it Murphy went down south! LOL!

Picture five(straightedge jig with 11 inch hold downs showing a straight edge cut)

Wood Tool Flooring Floor Hardwood

With this success I proceeded to trim a straightedge on the small logs I had cut with my band saw jig. I cut the rest of the spalted Maple, some small Walnut logs, some cedar, and the Elm.

I'm pretty excited that I will have some very nice wood to make smaller projects or do some book match veneers with the next jig I will be making for the bandsaw.

As always, comments and humor from lumberjacks and lumber Jill's is appreciated.
Thanks for looking!
nice going tom, when i saw your jig i thought your hold downs needed to be longer, and wella the next picture shows you made longer ones….lol..its a great jig, my only suggestion would be to have nicer and bigger knobs for your hold downs, and yes i know money was an issue , so maybe when you hit the jackpot, you can change your hold downs to a plastic one or just make nice wooden ones, they are easy to make, if you need any help with them i would gladly offer mine…:).....its pretty exciting having these new jigs, they open the door for great milling…have fun, and thanks for the blog, good job…

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts

The first picture you see is why I built the jig. If you have been following my journey and saw the other jig that I built for my band saw you know that this is the next step.

I decided to use my bandsaw and make some hold downs. I am using whatever stock I have in my shop. I found a leftover piece of one-inch plywood that I glued together to make a base for an oak top for our bathroom vanity. I cut my hold downs out of the one-inch plywood, which look a lot like a dog bone, LOL! The ends are cams providing a rounded surface. They are drilled out to 3/8 of an inch to provide some space for the up-and-down movement of the hold downs.

I found a half inch sheet of plywood and attached a guide strip made from cedar as I have no hardwood. I then trimmed the sides by running the base through the tablesaw on both sides. The width is approximately 11 inches.

I next secured some 5 inch long quarter-inch carriage bolts. I flipped the base over and drilled out the depth of the carriage bolt head. Using some nuts and washers I secured three bolts to the base.

As with my previous projects I used waterborne poly to seal the ends and surfaces due to the fact I have extremely high humidity in my shop in the summertime. Upwards of 90% even with the air conditioner running full blast.

I ran the test cut on a wide piece of spalted Maple which turned out just as I had planned. I then found a narrower piece of spalted Maple (the one pictured) and realized my hold downs would not work for narrower pieces. I thought about drilling more holes, but the center track to run on the tablesaw was in the way.

Since I'm having so much fun with my bandsaw, I laid out three more hold downs, the approximate width of the base. I sanded and sealed them with waterborne poly and when it dried ran a test trial. It was a success! I think it Murphy went down south! LOL!

Picture five(straightedge jig with 11 inch hold downs showing a straight edge cut)

With this success I proceeded to trim a straightedge on the small logs I had cut with my band saw jig. I cut the rest of the spalted Maple, some small Walnut logs, some cedar, and the Elm.

I'm pretty excited that I will have some very nice wood to make smaller projects or do some book match veneers with the next jig I will be making for the bandsaw.

As always, comments and humor from lumberjacks and lumber Jill's is appreciated.
Thanks for looking!
serge, i love those clamps you made and the knobs, that is what i had in mind for tom to make except i was also going to suggest some indents on the outside that would maybe give your hand more grip…but i bet the ones you made work just fine…great job and thanks for posting the link to it…

Attachments

· Registered
4,010 Posts

Thanks for looking!
well tom i guess you can see that many of us want to have you some better knobs….lol…were all just concerned for your hands and wanted to just suggest something better….what serge has posted is perfect and is what i had in mind as far as my suggestion….carry on….;)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.