LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Still here!

Haven't posted in awhile re: my tools and shop. I have made progress and have shared that with a few LJ's. I have succeeded in getting through my electrical inspection and now have an approved box in the Cau Haus.

I ran metal conduit for my 220 single phase cabinet saw. Had some sticks of metal conduit from a project many years ago. Had to do some tricky(for me) bends and twists to get around ceiling joists and the metal gas pipe for the furnace. Of course I screwed it up! Brain function slows with age if it's not used in a particular area. Looked at some bend and tried to bend it on the floor. Backwards!

Good thing I had it inspected. Went to local Box Store and even checked out NEMA and still picked the wrong outlet! Eyes also diminish with age. I need glasses for close up! The electrical inspector was quite kind, as this was my third year..LOL! Been busy doing other things. he pointed out that I had chosen 110 plugs and outlet….GRRRR! Rewired my extension cord and the plug on the saw and the outlet. He put his stamp on the box! Sigh!

After that…looked around and found NO CLEAR SPACE TO WORK IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING!Set about to improve my safety, and create order. Built a floor to (low) ceiling shelf. It's plumb and level. Attached to support the floor joists for the second floor. Had to pour concrete footers to get the upright posts stable. Small pads take as long as knee walls!

Finished it last night. not square…but close enough…shelves. Started moving materials and tools onto the shelves. I have way too many gallons of exterior oil stain! Another story….

Will be cleaning up the benches and floors in the work area, after doing insurance billing for my psychology practice( I hate paperwork!)

And it's me and that piece of ash. It's sat for a long time in a dry space in winter for a few years now. I'm going to use a trick I learned from Charles Niel to remove them.

Hope to have some pictures and progress on an actual piece of furniture????? LOL

Thanks for following my babble.

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Still here!

Haven't posted in awhile re: my tools and shop. I have made progress and have shared that with a few LJ's. I have succeeded in getting through my electrical inspection and now have an approved box in the Cau Haus.

I ran metal conduit for my 220 single phase cabinet saw. Had some sticks of metal conduit from a project many years ago. Had to do some tricky(for me) bends and twists to get around ceiling joists and the metal gas pipe for the furnace. Of course I screwed it up! Brain function slows with age if it's not used in a particular area. Looked at some bend and tried to bend it on the floor. Backwards!

Good thing I had it inspected. Went to local Box Store and even checked out NEMA and still picked the wrong outlet! Eyes also diminish with age. I need glasses for close up! The electrical inspector was quite kind, as this was my third year..LOL! Been busy doing other things. he pointed out that I had chosen 110 plugs and outlet….GRRRR! Rewired my extension cord and the plug on the saw and the outlet. He put his stamp on the box! Sigh!

After that…looked around and found NO CLEAR SPACE TO WORK IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING!Set about to improve my safety, and create order. Built a floor to (low) ceiling shelf. It's plumb and level. Attached to support the floor joists for the second floor. Had to pour concrete footers to get the upright posts stable. Small pads take as long as knee walls!

Finished it last night. not square…but close enough…shelves. Started moving materials and tools onto the shelves. I have way too many gallons of exterior oil stain! Another story….

Will be cleaning up the benches and floors in the work area, after doing insurance billing for my psychology practice( I hate paperwork!)

And it's me and that piece of ash. It's sat for a long time in a dry space in winter for a few years now. I'm going to use a trick I learned from Charles Niel to remove them.

Hope to have some pictures and progress on an actual piece of furniture????? LOL

Jim, Grizz, Monty,

Thanks for your support gentlemen! As I said I'm a pretty fair carpenter.. like my grandfather said" I cut it off twice, and it was still too short".. And I've built a few homes in my past. I think of my self as a "Woodbutcher" wanting to be an artisan. Inching forward????

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Still here!

Wow Greg,

Did you read "woodbutcher?" LOL!

My little stool will be my starter, and I have read a bunch and watched the masters like yourself , Benji, Charles Neil, and krenov…with awe. I hope I just get a piece together that's not screwed up! LOL!

Back to insurance billing…can I hear a BOOOOOOO!

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Still here!

Thanks Andy,

You must be around 40 years of age. Had perfect vision up 'til then. And the small print disappeared! I've got a lot of information from hundreds of books and videos from people like yourself.

Knowledge comes from making mistakes…That's why I am knowledgeable in many areas, just this is another area I've got to gain some experiential knowledge.

Like your marking sticks, which give the same mark every time.

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Still here!

Thanks,

I'm probably going to get involved with my power tools for awhile,,,,,:)

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Still here!

Benji,

Thanks! I imagine you have some great beer choices…LOL! Nice to have the support of you talented band of brothers. Definitely intimidating too!

Yesterday…Spent 4 hrs making a small dent in all the accumulation of materials from all the years. Hey I found a bench under some of it! Oh yeah I can find places to walk as well! LOL!

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Still here!

Thanks Elaine,

Made some progress, a small dent, and I had a number of set backs. Know this happens to all of us. Will post some of "Lake woe is me" tomorrow. The drama continues….... :)

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
CHARLES NEIL BANDSAW RESAWING JIG II FOR RESAWING OR SLICING VENEER ON THE SMALL BANDSAW

CHARLES NEIL BANDSAW RESAWING JIG II FOR RESAWING OR SLICING VENEER ON THE SMALL BANDSAW

Yep, fellow lumberjock's another jig for resawing in a small shop from Charles Neil's video on resawing, which can be found now on his website if you want to see this in action. Several years ago Charles made a DVD on resawing, which I have. I think I asked him to make it, maybe not. But all the credit goes Charles.
I'm doing a small blog here on this which I posted as a project. It works great on my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw with the riser installed.

Table Wood Workbench Tool Engineering

I used materials available on hand in my shop. The dowel rod is 12 inches from base to the tip with some extra glued in the three-quarter inch plywood used for the base. As you can see it is a triangulated point to provide a stable base for clamping down to my G0555. After establishing the point of contact with the dowel rod I cut the base.

Wood Wood stain Gas Hardwood Lumber

I also cut 30°/60° right triangle measured from the tip of the dowel rod to the end of the base. Please note the groove in the end of the plywood, which provided a cradle for me to glue and pin nail the dowel rod after it had been glued into the base. I used 5 min. epoxy to provide a strong bond for the dowel rod insertion into the base, which I had bored with a Forstner bit.

Wood Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Wood stain

In Charles' video, he uses a magnetic clamp which you may have seen that will anchor jigs and feather boards to a metal saw table. This was too expensive for my tastes and pocketbook. So I epoxied two rare Earth magnets into the base in holes drilled to the depth of magnets with a Forstner bit.

Wood Workbench Milling Hardwood Machine tool

The magnets provide some holding power along with clamping the base of the jig to the bandsaw. It is important to make sure that this point of contact jig is in parallel to the bandsaw blade.

Furniture Wood Wood stain Table Hardwood

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Wooden block

These two pictures show a test cut using a scrap pine board and a half inch bandsaw blade.

Hope this is helpful. Your comments, criticisms and humor are always welcome!
Thanks for reading

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·

Yep, fellow lumberjock's another jig for resawing in a small shop from Charles Neil's video on resawing, which can be found now on his website if you want to see this in action. Several years ago Charles made a DVD on resawing, which I have. I think I asked him to make it, maybe not. But all the credit goes Charles.
I'm doing a small blog here on this which I posted as a project. It works great on my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw with the riser installed.

I used materials available on hand in my shop. The dowel rod is 12 inches from base to the tip with some extra glued in the three-quarter inch plywood used for the base. As you can see it is a triangulated point to provide a stable base for clamping down to my G0555. After establishing the point of contact with the dowel rod I cut the base.

I also cut 30°/60° right triangle measured from the tip of the dowel rod to the end of the base. Please note the groove in the end of the plywood, which provided a cradle for me to glue and pin nail the dowel rod after it had been glued into the base. I used 5 min. epoxy to provide a strong bond for the dowel rod insertion into the base, which I had bored with a Forstner bit.

In Charles' video, he uses a magnetic clamp which you may have seen that will anchor jigs and feather boards to a metal saw table. This was too expensive for my tastes and pocketbook. So I epoxied two rare Earth magnets into the base in holes drilled to the depth of magnets with a Forstner bit.

The magnets provide some holding power along with clamping the base of the jig to the bandsaw. It is important to make sure that this point of contact jig is in parallel to the bandsaw blade.

These two pictures show a test cut using a scrap pine board and a half inch bandsaw blade.

Thanks for reading
Phil,

LOL! Got a farmer in my area with two bandsaw mills and a professional yard selling hardwood about 40 miles from here. What do you think?

Thanks for checking in.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·

Thanks for reading
Phil,

Did a forum topic on chainsaw mills to see if there were suggestions and advice. My bech will be my future projct post

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·

Thanks for reading
Marty,

Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·

Thanks for reading
Lew,

Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·

Thanks for reading
Dave,

Thanks! I'd like to see yours?

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·

Thanks for reading
Lee,

As I mentioned Charles has the resawing video on his site for free. Lots of other good stuff as well. It's pretty simple design,

Thanks for checking in.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·

Thanks for reading
Dave,

I'll check it out.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
Shop Made 2'x4' Down Draft Table

DOWNDRAFT TABLE BUILD - 2016

This is a project I needed to do to work on my boxes. I'm sharing details for LJ's who might want to build their own if they haven't already.

Minnesota winter means enclosed shop. Dust! I needed a table that would fill a number of functions for me. I wanted a large enough space to sand furniture parts as well as making boxes. I'm providing this blog for those of you who want to make a slightly larger down draft table/box. I have a 1 1/2 hp delta dust collector with 4 inch flex tubing running from my Garden shed into my shop. The 4 inch tubing and corrugated flex hose reduces the air flow. I also built a 50 gallon Thein chip collector and that all reduces the suction. I found a way around it for now while making boxes. I use plywood to cover half of the top increasing the suction.

I added 3/4 holes to the pegboard to increase the air flow. A Stympy Nubbs idea when he wasn't using Rockler parts. He built both types and you can check him out. Otherwise I have laid out my steps using my "some day I'm gonna use this" materials.

Kiefer posted a hood to go over his down draft table which I will aapt later when I have to close the shop again to Minnesota winter and kick up the heat and dust! LOL!

:
Wood Textile Sleeve Rectangle Flooring

I drilled 140 three-quarter inch holes into a 2' x 4' pegboard. These were drilled with a three-quarter inch hole saw. Due to its coarseness in cutting and the softness of the pegboard there was some tear out on the backside.

:
Table Wood Flooring Floor Indoor games and sports

After I treated the pegboard with a coat of Seal Coat. I proceeded to use my oscillating sander I proceeded to sand down the tear out on the back of the pegboard.

:
Table Wood Hardwood Flooring Curtain

Wood Audio equipment Gas Office equipment Engineering

Assembled the frame from materials that I culled from the construction materials in my shop that were not cupped, warped, twisted. I used a lap joint with glue and pin nailer. I haven't made any corner braces so I used square 2×4 blocking for clamping and holding the frame square.

:
Wood Floor Gas Engineering Flooring

I had cut dado slots to the width/thickness of the pegboard. And I had to trim the pegboard that the slots.

Wood Floor Hardwood Wood stain Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

The bottom of the 2×4' box has a half inch rabbit joint to accommodate a half-inch thick 2×4' piece of MDF. The rubber mallet that's a persuader.

Window Wood Rectangle Table saws Wood stain

Wood Wood stain Grass Hardwood Plank

Again, I used available materials from my shop to make a V-shaped vortex. This table is designed by available materials versus a materials list to the design of table. The rails are glued and screwed. But tacked first with a pin nailer.

:
Wood Automotive exterior Composite material Gas Hardwood

This is is a set of rails notched into the frame to support the thin pegboard as the dado grooves were not sufficient.

:
Wood Table Gas Auto part Box

I was able to purchase an inexpensive 4 inch exhaust port for about four bucks on Amazon. The holes were cut with a hole saw slightly smaller in the center approximately 3 1/2 inches high and two side holes with another hole saw approximately three-quarter inches in diameter. This provided enough air volume to meet the dimensions of the exhaust port.

:
Wood Textile Rectangle Flooring Font

I painted the pegboard with an exterior grade tinted primer which I had in my shop and added some resistance from the top. The pictures show the pegboard slide in over the rails noted above.

:
Wood Automotive exterior Hardwood Gas Flooring

mixing my own wood filler from yellow, glue and the sawdust from the wood to fix the punky holes in the front of the table before painting.

:
Wood Rectangle Tool Gas Flooring

Painted the complete frame/box with exterior grade white ceiling primer.

: Assembled/painted components of the downdraft table.

:
Table Wood Gas Flooring House

Attached the exhaust port and sealed with caulking.

:
Table Wood Recreation room Sports equipment Baize

Purchased some three-quarter inch rubber square feet at a good price from Amazon.com that I attached with three-quarter inch wood screws.

:
Wood Table Audio receiver Gas Hardwood

Did a test run with a porous rubber sanding mat purchased from Amazon which sits perfectly on top of my woodworkers bench. It works! LOL!

As always comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·

This is a project I needed to do to work on my boxes. I'm sharing details for LJ's who might want to build their own if they haven't already.

Minnesota winter means enclosed shop. Dust! I needed a table that would fill a number of functions for me. I wanted a large enough space to sand furniture parts as well as making boxes. I'm providing this blog for those of you who want to make a slightly larger down draft table/box. I have a 1 1/2 hp delta dust collector with 4 inch flex tubing running from my Garden shed into my shop. The 4 inch tubing and corrugated flex hose reduces the air flow. I also built a 50 gallon Thein chip collector and that all reduces the suction. I found a way around it for now while making boxes. I use plywood to cover half of the top increasing the suction.

I added 3/4 holes to the pegboard to increase the air flow. A Stympy Nubbs idea when he wasn't using Rockler parts. He built both types and you can check him out. Otherwise I have laid out my steps using my "some day I'm gonna use this" materials.

Kiefer posted a hood to go over his down draft table which I will aapt later when I have to close the shop again to Minnesota winter and kick up the heat and dust! LOL!

:

I drilled 140 three-quarter inch holes into a 2' x 4' pegboard. These were drilled with a three-quarter inch hole saw. Due to its coarseness in cutting and the softness of the pegboard there was some tear out on the backside.

:

After I treated the pegboard with a coat of Seal Coat. I proceeded to use my oscillating sander I proceeded to sand down the tear out on the back of the pegboard.

:

Assembled the frame from materials that I culled from the construction materials in my shop that were not cupped, warped, twisted. I used a lap joint with glue and pin nailer. I haven't made any corner braces so I used square 2×4 blocking for clamping and holding the frame square.

:

I had cut dado slots to the width/thickness of the pegboard. And I had to trim the pegboard that the slots.

The bottom of the 2×4' box has a half inch rabbit joint to accommodate a half-inch thick 2×4' piece of MDF. The rubber mallet that's a persuader.

Again, I used available materials from my shop to make a V-shaped vortex. This table is designed by available materials versus a materials list to the design of table. The rails are glued and screwed. But tacked first with a pin nailer.

:

This is is a set of rails notched into the frame to support the thin pegboard as the dado grooves were not sufficient.

:

I was able to purchase an inexpensive 4 inch exhaust port for about four bucks on Amazon. The holes were cut with a hole saw slightly smaller in the center approximately 3 1/2 inches high and two side holes with another hole saw approximately three-quarter inches in diameter. This provided enough air volume to meet the dimensions of the exhaust port.

:

I painted the pegboard with an exterior grade tinted primer which I had in my shop and added some resistance from the top. The pictures show the pegboard slide in over the rails noted above.

:

mixing my own wood filler from yellow, glue and the sawdust from the wood to fix the punky holes in the front of the table before painting.

:

:

:

Purchased some three-quarter inch rubber square feet at a good price from Amazon.com that I attached with three-quarter inch wood screws.

:

Did a test run with a porous rubber sanding mat purchased from Amazon which sits perfectly on top of my woodworkers bench. It works! LOL!

Charlie!

Resting up from the work you di with Northern Woods? Nice job sir!

I get more suction with the plywood added to the top when working on a smaller project like a box. It's pretty good and I hope to improve the vacuum in my dust collection by adding some plastic pipe when finances allow.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

Thanks Jim,

Haven't seen you posting in awhile? But I am doing more now and on computer less.

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

Greg,

Hope all went well at the jazz festival. I can sand outside now. I enjoy being outside. In the winter I can continue on. Kiefer's shroud can improve the dust gathering. But you know about that stuff. LOL!

Attachments

· Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

Tony,

I don't really have as much shop floor space as I need.But I had to build this for more than one function.

Post yours when you're done!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.